* Source Template for Obituary

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
Ossey55
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Source Template for Obituary

Post by Ossey55 »

Nick,
Do you have a way to enter the information for obituaries for AS? In the US the newspapers commonly have the person who died, where they lived, sometimes their religion, a list of family members, and where they would be buried. I think this would be a good addition to your program. If you cannot do that, is there a way to make entering this info into the tree easier? I like using AS for the Census record because it lets you quickly enter the info and sources for everyone in the family.

This is a continuation of the Source Template for Obituary (22265) discussion in the Sources, Citations & Repositories forum.
Last edited by tatewise on 15 Sep 2023 19:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added the cross-reference link
NickWalker
Megastar

Re: Source Template for Obituary

Post by NickWalker »

I guess you could enter an obituary as a burial record (if the burial date is mentioned) or death record. The other people mentioned in the obituary could be entered as associated individuals.

I've been researching my family tree for 30 years and have 3000 individuals and thousands of sources but I've only found a handful of obituaries so I wouldn't consider this to be a key source.

If/when I add more source types/modes to AS it is likely to be to handle wills/probate and MIs/grave-stones.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

They must be more common in the U.S. I have over 1000 obituaries in my file.

Bill
Bill Henshaw
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

BillH wrote: 15 Sep 2023 19:27 They must be more common in the U.S. I have over 1000 obituaries in my file.

Bill
It certainly sounds like they must be more common in the US! I guess it also depends what level of the class system your ancestors lived in. My family seem to be very much of peasant stock on all sides and I don't think there would commonly have been obituaries written for them in England before the 20th century. Local paper archives are starting to appear online so perhaps I may begin to find more. I know it was reasonably common to announce a death in the local paper when I was young but not sure if that would have been the case over 100 years ago.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

NickWalker wrote: 15 Sep 2023 20:00 It certainly sounds like they must be more common in the US! I guess it also depends what level of the class system your ancestors lived in. My family seem to be very much of peasant stock on all sides and I don't think there would commonly have been obituaries written for them in England before the 20th century. Local paper archives are starting to appear online so perhaps I may begin to find more. I know it was reasonably common to announce a death in the local paper when I was young but not sure if that would have been the case over 100 years ago.
The same is true here to some extent. Most of my obituaries are after the Civil War (ended in 1865). Until about 1900 they were mostly for folks who were property owners. After that I find them for folks of all income levels.

Bill
Bill Henshaw
ChrisRead
Famous

Post by ChrisRead »

What I did for an obituary (for a US person) was create a source to attach the six pages (images) of the newspaper (Cleveland Plain Dealer) Obituary to (he was a Cleveland politician of 30 odd years) and then attached that source to the death event. Purest's forgive me for not transcribing six pages of a newspaper, read the damn images :D .
Chris Read
Family Historian and Ancestral Sources user.

Researching the READ family and the myriad other relations that turned up.
Ossey55
Diamond

Post by Ossey55 »

I have over 2000 obits, and they are mostly from 1900 and later. Now that Newspapers.com is part of Ancestry, maybe you will start to get more in Europe and else where. Find A Grave is another go to for my research and have been using both of them since Family Tree Maker was first released, about 30 years ago. I am still very new to using FH, and have not tried to make templets. I was hoping someone had already made one that would cover what I was looking for. I have been adding the obits to the death fact as a jpeg file and adding the family members as a witness saying they were mentioned in the obit, and they lived at where ever. By doing that it makes finding family members in Census files a lot easier if you know where they lived.
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

It's not a case of obituaries now being available because of Newspapers.com and Ancestry, it's that in general in England, obituaries weren't published unless someone was of great importance or a member of "society". The most one might get was a death announcement.

I do have a general newspaper source template which includes the option to specify an obituary, but I've not figured out a way to export one template only (if it even exists), and I doubt you want all my templates, as many of them are either very specific to my work or a bit messy as I learned to create them in FH.
Ossey55 wrote: 15 Sep 2023 23:41 I have over 2000 obits, and they are mostly from 1900 and later. Now that Newspapers.com is part of Ancestry, maybe you will start to get more in Europe and else where. Find A Grave is another go to for my research and have been using both of them since Family Tree Maker was first released, about 30 years ago. I am still very new to using FH, and have not tried to make templets. I was hoping someone had already made one that would cover what I was looking for. I have been adding the obits to the death fact as a jpeg file and adding the family members as a witness saying they were mentioned in the obit, and they lived at where ever. By doing that it makes finding family members in Census files a lot easier if you know where they lived.
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Teresa, I think the way to export one template is as follows:
Use Tools > Source Template Definitions... then select the Template and use Clone... to copy it to a temporary Collection with a new name you type into the Collection box and click OK.
Then you can Export... that Collection that only contains one Template.
Finally, use the Collections... option to Delete that temporary Collection.

To import it, the other user must use the Import... option to create the Collection with one Template.
Then use the Clone... option to copy the Template to say the Custom Collection.
Finally, use the Collections... option to Delete that temporary imported Collection.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Thanks, Mike - I realize now I found that temporary collection work-around a while ago :oops:. Really appreciate the reminder :)
tatewise wrote: 16 Sep 2023 17:41 Teresa, I think the way to export one template is as follows:
Use Tools > Source Template Definitions... then select the Template and use Clone... to copy it to a temporary Collection with a new name you type into the Collection box and click OK.
Then you can Export... that Collection that only contains one Template.
Finally, use the Collections... option to Delete that temporary Collection.

To import it, the other user must use the Import... option to create the Collection with one Template.
Then use the Clone... option to copy the Template to say the Custom Collection.
Finally, use the Collections... option to Delete that temporary imported Collection.
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

fhtess65 wrote: 16 Sep 2023 16:13 It's not a case of obituaries now being available because of Newspapers.com and Ancestry, it's that in general in England, obituaries weren't published unless someone was of great importance or a member of "society". The most one might get was a death announcement. ...
Agreed. It may partly be a question of terminology - on the eastern side of the Atlantic, we tend to use terminology like Death or Funeral Notice, reserving Obituary for more expansive articles about someone of local or national importance, but there is clearly a gradual transition as more and more "life-story" detail gets added to our Death / Funeral Notices (not that they would appear for every member of the working classes). Not sure what the "base level" is for American stuff.

I suspect someone could write a dissertation comparing levels of detail in Obituaries / Death / Funeral Notices on either side of the Atlantic.
Adrian
Ossey55
Diamond

Post by Ossey55 »

Valkrider made a video for Auto Source Citations that has an example of an obituary from the US in 2018. I am posting the link because it still could help others out who don't know how to use the Auto Source Citations.
https://youtu.be/PrBOcHAwc1o
The only thing that it is missing is the cemetery that the person will be buried in.
Ossey55
Diamond

Post by Ossey55 »

fhtess65,
If you can, I would love to see the template you made for the obituaries.
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

It's not specifically for obituaries - it's for newspapers with an Obituary option.

See the screenshot below and let me know if you think it will work for you. You can always clone it and then edit it to your own liking. I have a couple of other tweaks I want to make to it and may end up cloning it before I do that, as they will affect earlier uses and there's no way I'm going back and fixing them all.

Ossey55 wrote: 17 Sep 2023 12:59 fhtess65,
If you can, I would love to see the template you made for the obituaries.
Attachments
NewspaperTemplate-with-Obit-Option-edit.jpg
NewspaperTemplate-with-Obit-Option-edit.jpg (398.52 KiB) Viewed 1221 times
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Ossey55
Diamond

Post by Ossey55 »

fhtess65,
would you mind sharing the template? I can give you an email address if you want.
I don't even know where to begin to try to make one.
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

I don't mind sharing - here's a pic of what the template looks like:
NewspaperArticleTemplate-FH.jpg
NewspaperArticleTemplate-FH.jpg (422.2 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
Send me an email to fhtess65 AT gmail DOT com. I'll respond with the template.

Ossey55 wrote: 17 Sep 2023 20:05 fhtess65,
would you mind sharing the template? I can give you an email address if you want.
I don't even know where to begin to try to make one.
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford