* Tool - Documentation Generator

For plugin authors to discuss plugin programming
shoshk
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Tool - Documentation Generator

Post by shoshk »

My apologies if there's already an answer to my question somewhere in the forum or knowledge base...

I'm getting back to development after a rather long hiatus and have been taking a look at my toolbox.

First, many thanks to Helen. I have started using Visual Studio Code. It's a great development environment. Using its automatic diagnostic tools, I've been able to solve several stubborn, non-critical bugs which had been relegated to the "solve it someday when you don't have anything better to do" category. I highly recommend checking it out if you're in the market for a new editor.

As always, when getting back into things, I'm spending a fair amount of time figuring out where I was, what I was doing, and where things are. As I age, I find myself remembering less and less, and I'm more aware of the need for good documentation.

So, now I'd like to add a documentation generator to my toolbox. It seems that luadoc is obsolete and it's not clear what I should be using as an alternative. Does anybody have a recommendation?

Much thanks,
Shoshana
Last edited by shoshk on 22 Aug 2023 08:21, edited 1 time in total.
Shosh Kalson
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Tool - Documenation Generator

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I tend not to generate documentation, although I build all the prerequisites into my code using the Annotation syntax supported by the Lua Language Server extension, so it's available while I'm coding. (You can export this documentation in Markdown or JSON format, and there are lots of options for converting markdown to HTML).

Or you could try Ldoc? https://github.com/lunarmodules/LDoc.
shoshk
Superstar

Re: Tool - Documentation Generator

Post by shoshk »

After a lot of head banging (I hate luarocks), I managed to install ldoc. I believe that it will suit my needs nicely.

Thank you!
Shosh Kalson
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

You cannot hate luarocks as much as I hate it.

I have failed completely and absolutely to generate a version of lpeg (including re) that will run with FH/Lua. Repeated attempts over a couple of years, forlorn cries for help on StackOverflow and the lua mailing list... I'm sure it's a 64-bit/32-bit problem but can't for the life of me work out a way round it.
shoshk
Superstar

Post by shoshk »

OK, you’ve got me beat. I still have no idea what I did to get it working. I was ready to give up and decided to give it one last try. And it worked. I doubt that it would be any easier if I had to do it again on another computer.
Shosh Kalson