* Running Family Historian on Crossover

Post here to suggest corrections, additions, changes etc to the FHUG KnowledgeBase . Include as much information as possible to help editors act on your post.

Moderator: kb admin

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Running Family Historian on Crossover

Post by tatewise »

This is a consequence of the posting Source field query (22191) that raised Crossover issues.
redx593 wrote: Knowledge Base Crossover advice page is outdated, it states -

"The advice below applies to the current version of Crossover..............
CrossOver Mac Version 19.0.1
CrossOver Linux Version 19.0.1"

Crossover has moved on since then, it recently released Version 23, which is what I'm using now.
The KB says to install Ancestral Sources (AS) the Microsoft .NET Framework V3.5 SP1 is needed.
NickWalker wrote: This isn't correct - Ancestral Sources has used .Net Framework 4.8 for the last 3 years since version 7.
Can those users familiar with using FH and AS in Crossover please review the KB Running Family Historian on Crossover page and post any changes needed here.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Valkrider
Megastar

Re: Running Family Historian on Crossover

Post by Valkrider »

@Mike

I wrote the original article. However, I have just update Crossover over the years and it works fine. I am not prepared to do a delete and re-install of the current version of Crossover as what I now have works fine and it took some time initially to get it to that state. What we need is a new user of FH & Crossover together to review and amend the current instructions as necessary.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

I have no idea of the current state of play of running AS on crossover (Mac or Linux) so I can't really offer much help.

I've had correspondence with a couple of uses in the last year who used Crossover on Mac with AS successfully, but there were issues if 'rich text' was used. I'm not sure if any Linux users have been successful. I believe some users have now moved to using virtualisation instead as that works more successfully for FH and AS.

I did some work earlier in the year to try to fix some of the rich-text issues but it seemed as if the Crossover version of the rich-text control was a bit limited and produced rich-text code formats that were quite different to what AS was expecting. I tried to get AS to be more tolerant of this, but I wasn't really getting anywhere and it was almost impossible to debug because I don't have crossover myself.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I agree that some aspects of the article may need a fresh install of Crossover with FH & AS to review the details.

However, advice such as the Crossover version, the Microsoft .NET Framework version, and which features don't work can presumably be reviewed by anyone with suitable experience. A new user installing Crossover with FH & AS won't have that experience and won't know the FH & AS features well enough to identify if they are broken or not and what workarounds may exist.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
redx593
Platinum

Post by redx593 »

tatewise wrote: 22 Aug 2023 13:01 A new user installing Crossover with FH & AS won't have that experience and won't know the FH & AS features well enough to identify if they are broken or not and what workarounds may exist.
Quite correct. I read through Kb Crossover/Linux page and didn't understand much of the information and some of the problems encountered. As I wrote earlier in my "Source field query thread I've using FH7 on Crossover v23 and so far it mostly works very well in my Linux Mint OS.

I consider myself more than a basic user, but not clever enough to test software and confidently edit and update the KB Crossover page. All I can say is Family Historian 7 is so far working very well in my Crossover v23. One problem I faced after installing FH7 was that it would not access the internet because there was a failure during install to include Microsoft Edge Webview2. I've managed to easily overcome this by opening Crossover, finding Microsoft Edge Webview2 in the list of compatible programs, and simply have Crossover install it in the now existing Family Historian bottle. After that FH7's internet access worked fine.

I've not had any of the reported problems when viewing and creating .pdf's, and the only ongoing issue I have is I can't drag and drop files into the FH7 property box.

I'm very impressed with Crossover. It's a great tool for full time Linux users like myself, it takes away all or most of the complications and frustations faced when trying to install a Windows program through Wine or PlayonLinux.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

redx593 wrote: 22 Aug 2023 14:00
tatewise wrote: 22 Aug 2023 13:01 A new user installing Crossover with FH & AS won't have that experience and won't know the FH & AS features well enough to identify if they are broken or not and what workarounds may exist.
Quite correct. I read through Kb Crossover/Linux page and didn't understand much of the information and some of the problems encountered. As I wrote earlier in my "Source field query thread I've using FH7 on Crossover v23 and so far it mostly works very well in my Linux Mint OS.

I consider myself more than a basic user, but not clever enough to test software and confidently edit and update the KB Crossover page. All I can say is Family Historian 7 is so far working very well in my Crossover v23. One problem I faced after installing FH7 was that it would not access the internet because there was a failure during install to include Microsoft Edge Webview2. I've managed to easily overcome this by opening Crossover, finding Microsoft Edge Webview2 in the list of compatible programs, and simply have Crossover install it in the now existing Family Historian bottle. After that FH7's internet access worked fine.

I've not had any of the reported problems when viewing and creating .pdf's, and the only ongoing issue I have is I can't drag and drop files into the FH7 property box.
I wonder if you'll have any issues with the rich-text in Family Historian. e.g. try creating a table in a note (see screenshot below). See if you can edit the table OK - add text to it, widen or narrow the columns, etc.
image.png
image.png (56.38 KiB) Viewed 1597 times
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

@Nick

I am still running Crossover v22 and FH v7.20 and creating and adding content to a table works fine without any issues.
redx593
Platinum

Post by redx593 »

NickWalker wrote: 22 Aug 2023 15:08
I wonder if you'll have any issues with the rich-text in Family Historian. e.g. try creating a table in a note (see screenshot below). See if you can edit the table OK - add text to it, widen or narrow the columns, etc.
Hi Nick,
I can create a table and can type into it ok but can't edit or resize them at all. In the right click box the "modify" button remains greyed out, (can't get it in a screenshot) but all others such as copy/paste work ok. At one attempt to resize by dragging, the whole program crashed.

Edit: I might add that all other features in the notes window seem to work, for example I can use the census autotext feature ok but cannot resize the table.