* Ancestry Discount

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
ADC65
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Ancestry Discount

Post by ADC65 »

My Ancestry subscription expires in a month and I wondered if anyone knows of any valid discount codes please?

The link that worked for quite some time and has been posted here previously does not appear to work now (I am aware you need to have cancelled your subscription and signed out before using it). Ancestry have sent me an email saying the renewal will be £179.99 for 12 months for an All-Ancestry subscription. I paid £89.99 last year for the same, using the link.

There are a number of offers from the UK newspapers if you Google for discount codes, but none of them appear to work.

Thanks for any advice.

(The previous link was http://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/offers/sub ... e+External)
Adrian Cook
Researching Cook, Summers, Phipps and Bradford, mainly in Wales and the South West of England
laz_gen
Famous

Re: Ancestry Discount

Post by laz_gen »

Mine was up recently. I phoned in advance and asked for the auto renewal to be disabled.

I pleaded my case and was offered a 30%, then a 40% discount. I asked for the offer to be left on my account telling them I would be considering my options which included the possibility of not renewing at all and subscribing with one of their competitors.

I allowed my subscription to expire and phoned about a week later asking for a better offer. It was improved to 50% discount which was what I was hoping for.

So it is still possible but needs a certain amount of persistence.
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

I think the general consensus is that you have to allow your sub to lapse to get the best offers.

FMP ran a good promotion recently that enabled me to upgrade the remaining four months of my UK subscription to include unlimited 1921 census, newspapers and international records for just over £16. I just need to find time to fully exploit it before it expires!
Mark Draper
ADC65
Superstar

Post by ADC65 »

Thanks both. I have FMP as well as they used to have almost exclusive access to the Parish Registers that were online. However, now Ancestry have a lot of them as well. But of course Ancestry don't have the 1921 Census :?

I hate having to phone, waiting around for ages and then begging for a discount, it's something I just don't like doing. However, you're probably right, if I want a discount I'm just going to have to lapse my membership and get on the phone :cry:
Adrian Cook
Researching Cook, Summers, Phipps and Bradford, mainly in Wales and the South West of England
RS3100
Superstar

Post by RS3100 »

A newer link to a worldwide subscription for £89.99 has recently been posted on the RootsChat forum. As with the previous similar offer, it is intended for new subscribers, but I used the previous offer successfully after allowing my subscription to lapse for 24 hours.

I'm not sure that it would be appropriate to repost it here, but it can be found in the topic "Ancestry Subscription Discount" in the Common Room sub-forum.

Interestingly, although my current subscription still has nearly 6 months to run, I followed the link a couple of days ago, just to check if it worked. The offer page briefly flashed up on my browser before being replaced by my current subscription details, but even though I didn't click on anything (I didn't have chance as the page appeared and disappeared so quickly) I now have the £89.99 renewal in my basket and Ancestry have so far sent me two emails reminding me as much!
ADC65
Superstar

Post by ADC65 »

That's very helpful, thank you for posting that. :) I found the link and it appears to work, I just have to wait for my subscription to expire to hopefully take advantage of it. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again.
Adrian Cook
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

It appears that it is an immediate upgrade if you don’t already have global access. I tried a recent RootsChat link, and it offered me 12 months worldwide access for £89.99, starting today and with a pro-rata refund for the remaining three months on my UK-only account.

That’s cheap global access for both the main sites sorted ready for the next research season!
Mark Draper
ADC65
Superstar

Post by ADC65 »

RS3100 wrote: 07 Jul 2023 09:04 A newer link to a worldwide subscription for £89.99 has recently been posted on the RootsChat forum. As with the previous similar offer, it is intended for new subscribers, but I used the previous offer successfully after allowing my subscription to lapse for 24 hours.

I'm not sure that it would be appropriate to repost it here, but it can be found in the topic "Ancestry Subscription Discount" in the Common Room sub-forum.

Interestingly, although my current subscription still has nearly 6 months to run, I followed the link a couple of days ago, just to check if it worked. The offer page briefly flashed up on my browser before being replaced by my current subscription details, but even though I didn't click on anything (I didn't have chance as the page appeared and disappeared so quickly) I now have the £89.99 renewal in my basket and Ancestry have so far sent me two emails reminding me as much!

A quick update - my subscription ran out today and I had cancelled my renewal back in July. I used the link you kindly posted and got a new worldwide subscription for £89.99 instead of £179.99. Thanks again for posting it!
Adrian Cook
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Adrian, the £179 is for 12 months, as far as I can see, £89.99 only buys you 6 months. I’d double check exactly what you’re getting if I was you, as I fear you’ll be disappointed :D Ancestry is suggesting you are only saving £19!
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
RS3100
Superstar

Post by RS3100 »

No, the link I referred to in my previous post is for an offer of a 12 month worldwide subscription for £89.99. It seems to only work reliably if you have let your subscription lapse, as it is intended for "new" subscribers, although as I mentioned I successfully accessed it about a month ago even though I have a current subscription and it was automatically saved in my basket, although it has now disappeared from it, presumably because I failed to respond to the subsequent reminder emails. But I used a similar offer link two years ago. Last year, by the date of the expiry of that subscription, Ancestry had removed the offer, but I telephoned their customer support and the agent agreed to renew my subscription at the same price of £89.99 for 12 months. The offer is now back via a different link. I'm just hoping it stays long enough for me to use it again in December...
ADC65
Superstar

Post by ADC65 »

Gowermick wrote: 07 Aug 2023 13:56 Adrian, the £179 is for 12 months, as far as I can see, £89.99 only buys you 6 months. I’d double check exactly what you’re getting if I was you, as I fear you’ll be disappointed :D Ancestry is suggesting you are only saving £19!
Thanks for pointing it out Mick, Ancestry are a bit sneaky since they introduced 6-month subscriptions and it's easy to miss. However, I did check carefully and as RS3100 says, it is a link for 12 months. Cheers, though.

You do have to wait until your subscription runs out, it wouldn't let me add it otherwise.
Adrian Cook
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Adrian, that’s good.
Shame I’ve only recently renewed my 6 month subscription. As RS3100 said, I just hope it’s still around come time to renew in December :D
Out of interest, if one cancels a subscription ( to stop automatic renewal), does it stop straight away, or when subscription period ends?
Mike Loney

RS3100
Superstar

Post by RS3100 »

When the subscription period ends Mike.
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Thanks
Mike Loney

Trivvie
Platinum

Post by Trivvie »

There is also a link to a code on one of the Ancestry UK Forums on Facebook (not the official Ancestry page). You can canel your account and get an email to say it is cancelled. The moment it expires at its normal expiry date you then only have guest access and can subscribe with the 50% discount. I have done this for about the last 5 or 6 years and it has meant I can have the World access which I wouldn't normally subcribe too as I only have distant ancestors abroad.
Liz
FH V7.0.22