* One-Name Studies and FH

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Jessie 888
Famous
Family Historian: V7

One-Name Studies and FH

Post by Jessie 888 »

I’ve been happily using FH for about ten years and always recommend it to other researchers. I still only use about 50% of its potential, though, and want to change that! Thanks to a brick-wall, I created a FH Project three years ago to help me work on an unofficial One-Name Study (ONS) on the Fothergills. I’m now doing an online Pharos course on ONS in collaboration with the Guild of One-Name Studies. Both recommend FH as the ideal software (plus two others).

My question is: Is there anybody else in this group doing a ONS? I’d be grateful for any practical tips where FH is useful to you, or how you use it. For example, I like being able to add an unrelated individual until I can place him in the right family. I can check for duplicates … or easily find a Fothergill born in c1820 in Liverpool in the Records Window. If I get a Fothergill DNA match, then I can quickly change them to the file root and send them a diagram of their own family tree in a matter of seconds. I love all those basic tools and techniques but I’m sure I’m missing loads more?!
Would spend every waking hour researching my ancestry if my family and friends allowed it! ;)
trevorrix
Famous

Re: One-Name Studies and FH

Post by trevorrix »

I have an ONS and use FH in the same way as you describe. I have been using FH for this purpose for 21 years and am still in awe 🙂
Trevor Rix
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Jessie

I too do a Surname Study in to the Lefever and variants names. I do mine a little differently in that I have a project per country as I have found few who migrate between countries and those that do it is easy just to export their record and then import it into the other countries project. I also have a website that I use as a taster to get namebearers to contact me so that is an easy export of basic BMD data which I display on a simple table per country.

The Find Duplicates plugin is one I use regularly. I also have a couple of custom queries that help with finding specific individuals where I have limited information.
Jessie 888
Famous

Post by Jessie 888 »

trevorrix wrote: 26 Jul 2023 08:40 I have an ONS and use FH in the same way as you describe. I have been using FH for this purpose for 21 years and am still in awe 🙂
That’s good to know, Trevor. I’m in awe as well!
Would spend every waking hour researching my ancestry if my family and friends allowed it! ;)
Jessie 888
Famous

Post by Jessie 888 »

Valkrider wrote: 26 Jul 2023 09:12 Jessie

I too do a Surname Study in to the Lefever and variants names. I do mine a little differently in that I have a project per country as I have found few who migrate between countries and those that do it is easy just to export their record and then import it into the other countries project. I also have a website that I use as a taster to get namebearers to contact me so that is an easy export of basic BMD data which I display on a simple table per country.

The Find Duplicates plugin is one I use regularly. I also have a couple of custom queries that help with finding specific individuals where I have limited information.
That’s a really great idea to have a project for each country. I’d not thought of that before! I definitely need to learn more about plugins and custom queries. The basics are so good, I’ve never really needed the more advanced tools until now. Thank you for the advice!
Little.auk
Famous

Post by Little.auk »

Hi Jessie,

I started researching my family tree many years ago. My paternal line is ROLLIN - an uncommon name, but my maternal grandmother's surname was Fothergill, her father (my g-g grandfather) died at the battle of Spion Kop in the second Boer War. I have traced his family back, via Nottinghamshire, to Mallerstang, near Kirkby Stephen in Cumbria. Do you have any Fothergills who fit in this family.
Peter Rollin
Running FH 7.0.22 and AS 7.8.6 64 bit in Windows 11
Jessie 888
Famous

Post by Jessie 888 »

Little.auk wrote: 30 Jul 2023 19:34 Hi Jessie,

I started researching my family tree many years ago. My paternal line is ROLLIN - an uncommon name, but my maternal grandmother's surname was Fothergill, her father (my g-g grandfather) died at the battle of Spion Kop in the second Boer War. I have traced his family back, via Nottinghamshire, to Mallerstang, near Kirkby Stephen in Cumbria. Do you have any Fothergills who fit in this family.
Hi Peter,
I've just added a J Fothergill to my project who died at Spion Kop on the 24th January 1900 but I don't even know his first name yet, I'm afraid. Was he in the Second Lancashire Fusiliers? I have lots of Fothergills from Mallerstang and Nottinghamshire. Could you tell me your grandmother's name or her father's full name and dob?