* ADVICE: First time exporting to a TNG Website

Questions about exporting information from FH to other programs and websites
Geoffw
Gold
Family Historian: V7

ADVICE: First time exporting to a TNG Website

Post by Geoffw »

I would like to set up a TNG website using my Family Historian data. Could anyone give me or direct me to a step by step process to complete this successfully with date and media (photos mainly)
tatewise
Megastar

Re: ADVICE: First time exporting to a TNG Website

Post by tatewise »

Hi Geoff, could you please identify which version of FH you are using by updating your profile shown on the right.
Click on your username Geoffw, navigate to Edit Profile, set the Family Historian version, then scroll down to SUBMIT.

The plugin Export Gedcom File has GEDCOM Destination settings specifically for exporting to TNG.
See the Help at Export Gedcom File and more specifically at Export Gedcom File (TNG) The Next Generation.

There are several users here who regularly use that plugin to update their TNG website and will no doubt answer any questions you may have.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ADC65
Superstar

Post by ADC65 »

Hello Geoff,

I maintain a TNG website to present my family history. I can help you with setting up and transferring your data from Family Historian, but you should be aware from the outset that this is not a simple one-click process.

As a first step, how far along are you in purchasing and installing TNG on a web server? Do you have a blank site already set up with a chosen template?

You'll find Mike's Export Gedcom File plugin invaluable. At first I would not worry about getting media across, and focus on getting a GEDCOM exported via the plugin, and uploaded into TNG. If you don't know how to do this, please ask. I would suggest on your first import you check the "Import Custom Event Types only (no data is added, replaced or appended)" box so that TNG can import your custom event types, and from there go to Admin > Custom Event Types to set them up with correct titles. Without this, non-standard GEDCOM tags will not import to TNG, or will have weird titles such as "_STAT" instead of "Marriage Status".

Most of the fiddling about afterwards to get TNG up and running will be done in TNG rather than FH, with tweaks to Mike's plugin to give the desired output. As TNG could be seen as a competitor product, I'm not sure how appropriate it is to discuss it on this board - I will have to let the admins here decide if it's OK or not.
Adrian Cook
Researching Cook, Summers, Phipps and Bradford, mainly in Wales and the South West of England
Geoffw
Gold

Post by Geoffw »

Thanks all. I am using Family History V7. As for TNG I am using the latest version , v.14.0.2.

I have a domain all ready and have uploaded TNG to it. I have yet to go through the setting up procedure and setting up the database.

I was then just going to get FH to create an export file, but noticed the plugin many of you are using.......
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

A GEDCOM file exported by FH with links to Media files will be most unsuitable for uploading to TNG.
It will contain many FH custom GEDCOM features that aren't handled by TNG, especially Link to Face/Detail frames for Media.
That is why the plugin is popular because it offers solutions to those problems.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ADC65
Superstar

Post by ADC65 »

Geoffw wrote: 12 Jul 2023 11:19 I have yet to go through the setting up procedure and setting up the database.
So the first thing you need to do is in your site's cPanel, and set up a database and database user/password. You'll need these in the TNG setup.

If you've loaded your TNG files onto your server already, you just need to navigate to your site (and possibly subdirectory if you have set one up) and to the readme.html file - so, for example, https://yoursite/tng/readme.html

Follow the instructions given there carefully. None of the instructions are particularly onerous, but it is very easy to miss a step, so take your time. Once you've finished, go to Admin, Setup and set up some of the defaults - pick a template first (go for something simple to start with, it's easy to change later).

If you get stuck, the place to ask is probably on the TNG forum - https://tng.community/index.php?/forums/ or you can drop me a line.

Then do an export using Mike's plugin, but don't export any media yet. Do the import I suggested above to set up the Custom Event Types, go to Admin and rename them, and then do a proper GEDCOM import. Check to see if your data looks correct.

That should keep you busy for an hour or two :D
Adrian Cook
Researching Cook, Summers, Phipps and Bradford, mainly in Wales and the South West of England
Geoffw
Gold

Post by Geoffw »

ADC65 wrote: 12 Jul 2023 13:26 That should keep you busy for an hour or two :D
Thanks AD65. looks like it might be a weekend job - if it rains!!!!
Geoffw
Gold

Post by Geoffw »

Well export completed and all major photo images linked to key family members. So we are on our way.

Rather liking TNG now I am starting to get into it!

Not ready to show my website yet but things are moving,,,