* Exporting Family Historian data to a TNG Website

Questions about exporting information from FH to other programs and websites
Geoffw
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Exporting Family Historian data to a TNG Website

Post by Geoffw »

Can someone clarify for me. If I have set up a TNG website and successfully export my Family Historian data to it - possibly using the Plugin available here......... How do I then sync them afterwards when I have make additions, corrections or changes to my information in Family Historian on my PC.
ADC65
Superstar

Re: Exporting Family Historian data to a TNG Website

Post by ADC65 »

I replied to this in the other thread ... did it get moved? Anyway I will repost my answer below.

You can't sync them directly, Geoff. You will need to do another export from FH and then re-import that into TNG. The export from FH will be the same as the first export, but how you import into TNG will depend on how you have set it up. If you maintain ALL your data, media, etc., in FH you can clear your tree and do an straight replacement import. If you have changed any data in TNG directly - e.g., tagged images with people, created albums, added events, etc., then you will have to be careful how you import. Usually choosing "Append all records" rather than "All current data" will work, but you will need to test what works for you.
Adrian Cook
Researching Cook, Summers, Phipps and Bradford, mainly in Wales and the South West of England
Geoffw
Gold

Post by Geoffw »

ADC65 wrote: 14 Jul 2023 14:34 I replied to this in the other thread ... did it get moved? Anyway I will repost my answer below.
Yes I have had one try but did not use the plugin. Just exported and then imported the Gedcom into an empty TNG site, following the establishment of the TNG site. It seemed to work pretty well with data but i have struggled upoading and them linking images, and template I chose seems a bit odd, offering a "His side" and a "Her Side" views that gives my ancestors & "his Side" for partner's ancestors.

I understand the issue regarding updating. Obviously much simple just to over write rather that edit the website as well as FH.
ADC65
Superstar

Post by ADC65 »

The His & Her Side links can be quite useful. You can configure them in Admin > Setup > Configuration > Template Settings, where you can set the displayed text and ID number of the linked person. In my site, I have them linked to my mother and father, and display "Mum's Side" and "Dad's Side".

In general, a raw GED file upload will work well. TNG will ignore tags it doesn't understand. You can go to Admin > Custom Event Types to enable tags that have not been imported.

The plugin allows you to tinker elements of the export to refine TNG but it can always be used later - getting used to the feel of TNG is probably a good thing before delving into the detail. I would say don't spend too much time linking media in TNG as this can be done via the plugin later. If you let me know what you struggled with I can maybe help.
Adrian Cook
Researching Cook, Summers, Phipps and Bradford, mainly in Wales and the South West of England
Geoffw
Gold

Post by Geoffw »

Thank your Adrian. Having got it started, as you suggest I'll use the next sessions tinkering (carefully) and getting to know it. I've managed to get all the basic images over and linked to their record.

Sorted the "His Side/Her Side" issue in Admin as you suggested!
No doubt I will be in touch.