* Associating addresses with places

Questions about managing place and address information, and using maps and geocoding
natashahouseman
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Associating addresses with places

Post by natashahouseman »

Hi folks
Brand new to family historian, but tried really hard to search the forum before posting this.
Beyond analysis & charts, the thing that attracts me to family history software, as opposed to ancestry, is discipline on place names so I can really see locations. So this is the part I have really focused on. My family broadly all come from the West Riding of Yorkshire (75% from three river valleys) and sorting out my Menwiths, Darleys and Menwiths with Darleys are really important, especially when it comes to Housemans. Which is not a common surname, but is, in that locality. (Three Mary Housemans were baptised in 1799, all cousins, two of whom went on to marry a Skaife, so you can understand my need for precision).
If it helps, I am going for a four part place: village/city region, township/city/parish/region, county and country. So Darley, Menwith with Darley, North Yorkshire, England or Linton, Craven, North Yorkshire, England. Essentially I'm using the second part slightly fluidly to work with old parish or township boundaries or newer boroughs and regions knowing where there's greatest cause for confusion.
I've also worked out how to handle the address confusion of umpteen St Oswald's churches, by including a road name and/or a postcode.
However, what I really want is to be able to see all the addresses associated with a place. I am gathering that the addresses aren't connected to places, but is there a query that will show me this?
Thanks in advance for your help, i promised I searched hard for an answer before posting!
Natasha
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Associating addresses with places

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Natasha.

Have you seen the FHUG > Knowledge Base > Working with Places and Addresses?

That gives advice on recording Church addresses similar to what you have chosen.

It also offers a way of coupling Address & Place in the Place field and ignoring the Address field altogether.

It is not possible to produce a list of unique Place and Address combinations using a Query or a Report.
With a Query, every Place and Address pairing can be listed but will include many duplicate rows.
The Publish > Miscellaneous Reports > Place Report similarly lists every use of Place in facts with the Address included but again with many duplicates.
A custom Query report could be exported to a Spreadsheet and reduced to just unique rows.

It is possible to write a custom Plugin to list the unique set of Place and Address combinations.
That is illustrated by running the Rearrange Address and Place Parts plugin and opening its Input Filter tab that lists each Address and Place pair just once sorted either by Address or by Place. Do NOT click the PERFORM REARRANGEMENT button.
So a custom Plugin could produce just a similar list of Address and Place pairings.

There is another existing Plugin called Address Summary Report that can include the Place associated with each Address in a unique list, but can only be sorted in Address order or in a reversed Place & Address order.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
natashahouseman
Diamond

Thanks Tatewise!
I read the guidance (it was super clear and helpful), which led me to starting with four parts rather than three, but having whole addresses for a place is going to leave to a lot of commas and spaces when I go back beyond 1800. Don't think I am quite onto custom plugins or queries, but the place report seems to do what I need albeit, as you say, likely to be a bit duplicative when i get all my data in.
Do you know if there's an edited query that allows you to pick up the 2nd or 3rd part in a place rather than just the first? Just looking for a way to group at a slightly higher level.

Thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I realise you are a newcomer to FH but mastering simple custom Queries will prove to be an invaluable skill.
See the FHUG > Knowledge Base > An Overview of Queries and practice Creating a Custom Query.

I'm not sure exactly how you want to group Places on the 2nd or 3rd part but here are some suggestions.

Use Tools > Work with Data > Places... which tabulates Place records in column parts.
Click on any Part # column heading to sort into groups by that column part.
Hold down the Alt key while clicking the heading to perform a reverse sort. (This works on most columns in FH.)
Note the tick box Reverse Display Order bottom right that reverses the order of the columns.
Check out the Help button for further advice.

In the Records window, on the Places tab, a similar arrangement of column parts can be configured.
With the tab open, use Lists > Configure Record Window Columns... or right-click a column header to Configure Columns...
Select <Other...> and add column > then in the dialogue set:
Heading: Part 1
Expression: =TextPart( %_PLAC%, 1 )
Then repeat for Part 2 through 4, e.g.:
Heading: Part 2
Expression: =TextPart( %_PLAC%, 2 )
=TextPart(...) is a function that is defined in the FH Help under General Topics > Advanced Topics > Understanding Functions > Functions (all) > TextPart and is one of many useful functions.

A similar technique can be used to configure columns in a custom Query.

You will soon discover that FH is highly configurable and more so than most other products.
It may appear to lack some of the features of other products, but with its general-purpose customisation tools, it can usually mimic what other products offer and much more.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

natashahouseman wrote: 16 Jun 2023 23:39 the place report seems to do what I need albeit, as you say, likely to be a bit duplicative when i get all my data in.
The attached custom query is one I use. It lists all Facts at a chosen place. The results set includes a column for the address. Clicking on the address column heading brings all identical addresses together, making it is easy to see how many distinct addresses there are, even when there are duplicates.
(Double click to install it in FH)

Lorna
natashahouseman
Diamond

Thanks Lorna & Mike again - i just popped back on to this thread to say that i'd worked out how to customise a query to add in the address, a couple of quick sorts of the column and it gives me what I need - perfect for when i get the chance to visit a random village in Yorkshire. Just wish we could add images to addresses. Now onto figuring out how i best use citations!
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

There's a Wish List item you can vote for: Add Media and other data to Address fields
natashahouseman
Diamond

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 17 Jun 2023 10:54 There's a Wish List item you can vote for: Add Media and other data to Address fields
Thanks! Have voted a resounding 5.