* Page Breaks in Source Text

Questions about Generic and Templated Sources within FH and their associated Citations and Repositories
MLawrence
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Page Breaks in Source Text

Post by MLawrence »

Please forgive me if this has already been addressed but I couldn't find any reference to my particular question.

When creating a New Source, such as for Divorce Proceedings, is it possible to insert page breaks within the "Empty Text" from "Add text from Source"?

Thanks for any pointers
Kind regards
Margaret
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Page Breaks in Source Text

Post by tatewise »

Margaret, I've moved this to the Sources, Citations & Repositories forum which is a better fit.

Yes, using the Add Text from Source > ... > <Empty Text> option in the Citation Window should open the rich text editor window where you can use any layout characters such as space, tab, and newline just like in a word-processor to mimic the original document and create an exact transcript. You can also change font and add styles such as bold, italics & underline as well as much, much more.

It always was the case that Note and Text From Source fields supported space, tab, and newline but now offer a lot more.
Hit the F1 key on your keyboard while the rich text window is open and a Help page is presented.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
MLawrence
Platinum

Post by MLawrence »

Thanks for the response Mike.

Yes I've been using the rich source editor, however, I still can't find how to insert a page break. Maybe that feature doesn't exist.

Most of the other formatting uses the same keyboard shortcuts as per Microsoft Word - e.g CTRL U, CTRL B etc., but CTRL Return doesn't insert a code for a new page.

Kind regards
Margaret
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I doubt page break is supported, as in FH terms it does not really make sense. Why were you trying to include one?
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry, I was not sure that you really meant 'page breaks' and thought you meant 'line breaks'.
'page breaks' would pose a problem in Reports because they would force a new page in the middle of the Report.
The best I can suggest is to insert a line of underline (_) characters to indicate page boundaries such as:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jean001
Famous

Post by Jean001 »

You could use a 'code' such as [Page Break] to mark the breaks. If you use a word processor to 'fine tune' a report then use Search and Replace [Page Break] to insert an actual page break.
Jean
MLawrence
Platinum

Post by MLawrence »

Re question from Jane. I have a divorce document that is 14 pages long. I wanted to transcribe the document and therefore separate pages within the Source text to reflect the document
MLawrence
Platinum

Post by MLawrence »

Re response form Mike
Yes that's what I have done in the short term - until I can think of a better way forward
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

What I normally do is to simply add a header for each page, just to show the page breaks. something like
<original page 1 end>
or just <page 1>
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

MLawrence wrote: 15 Jun 2023 18:58... I have a divorce document that is 14 pages long. I wanted to transcribe the document and therefore separate pages within the Source text to reflect the document
If you want a transcription that "looks like" the original, I'd suggest that you do it in a word processor and then print it onto a PDF file. That way you can control the looks of the transcript, including its pagination.

If, on the other hand, you want it both paginated separately as per the original and to appear in the middle of an FH Report, then you might have issues if the pagination on the document doesn't match that in the FH Report (e.g. page length of the original is too long for FH). In such a case, I'd agree with Jane that inserting text hints such as <original page 1 end> is the way to go - I'm sure I've seen that tactic used before.
Adrian
MLawrence
Platinum

Post by MLawrence »

Thanks to all for the suggestions, much appreciated

I'll play around with the suggestions and see which best suits my requirements.

Kind regards
Margaret