* Export Gedcom File to The Genealogist

Questions about exporting information from FH to other programs and websites
David2416
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Export Gedcom File to The Genealogist

Post by David2416 »

tatewise wrote: 31 May 2023 22:47 I think you need to analyse the TreeView data more closely to make objective judgements.
Perhaps export a GEDCOM file and review that in detail or import it to FH and check the File Statistics.

My guess is you uploaded the FH V7 GEDCOM in 5.5.1 format and TreeView expects 5.5 format.
I suspect the Facts discrepancy is due TreeView not recognising Custom Attributes that use the FACT tag.
I would expect the non-standard Place, Research Note and Source Template records to be discarded.
There seem to be a lot of Citations missing perhaps because of missing Custom Attributes.
Where do all those 13251 Notes come from?

This is the kind of analysis I would undertake when adding a custom GEDCOM Destination to my plugin.
I accept I have made a subjective judgement "that it has done a reasonable job". I copied my FH 7 Gedcom (5.5.1) and imported that file into the Genealogist online TreeView, with the results I quoted earlier. I made no changes to the Gedcom before importing.

The notes are from local notes. I do have custom attributes, they have not been imported (but see note re UDFs below)

I have now exported the TreeView to a Gedcom and imported that into FH7 as a new project. The Gedcom states it is V5.5
There are two log files: Exception report - Excluded branch lines, Excluded link to non-existent Place record
Validation report with 5 entries saying individual has no link to family as [spouse/child]
There are 81 UDFs = all relate to family records where I have some custom attributes.

File statistics for the new FH 7 project are:
Screenshot 2023-06-01 085238.jpg
Screenshot 2023-06-01 085238.jpg (48.13 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

David, that is typical of what I have to contend with when customising my plugin to migrate to other products.
Note that the Support page https://www.treeview.co.uk/import/ advises how to export GEDCOM from FH.
Unfortunately, that illustrates FH V6.2 which used GEDCOM 5.5 and not FH V7.0 which uses GEDCOM 5.5.1.
However, it would not make much difference for Custom Attributes, Fact Witnesses, Place Records, etc.

As I suggested earlier, use the Export Gedcom File plugin GEDCOM Destination: (CEA) Custom Export Alpha GEDCOM 5.5.
Set the Multimedia Preference: to (WIPE~ALL) Exclude all the Multimedia Files and Media Records entirely.
Change the Rich Text Formatting: setting if it turns out that TreeView supports any formatting codes.

That will migrate far better to TreeView and include Custom Attributes plus Notes for other data that got omitted.
Further tweaking of some Extra Options or Other Options may improve the migration further.
Let me know what works best so that I can add an option for TreeView to the plugin.

As and when I get time I may be able to install the TreeView application program and check its best migration settings.
It looks like both the online and program version support Media, but the online version does not upload Media.
If the program version does import Media then it may sync them with the online version.
That would be similar to the way MyHeritage program and online versions operate.
In other words, there is some way to go before finalising the plugin custom settings for TreeView.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Little.auk
Famous

Post by Little.auk »

tatewise wrote: 31 May 2023 19:20 As a matter of interest, how do you get from The Genealogist website to that TreeView website?
I've searched The Genealogist and can find no reference to that site or any free options.
Until I caught up with this thread I was not aware that The Genealogist had made TreeView available as a standalone, family tree building, online and mobile app.

You can't access any of them directly from The Genealogist as there is no perceived need - TreeView is already embedded in The Genealogist.

You can access the TreeView home page at https://treeview.co.uk/ and access TreeView Online from menu ribbon there.

I had a good search through the help file and found the following - https://treeview.co.uk/import/ - I have not read it fully yet, but I think it probably answers my question.

I couldn't find this information in The Genealogist help files, and it was pretty well hidden in Treeview Online.
Peter Rollin
Running FH 7.0.22 and AS 7.8.6 64 bit in Windows 11
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As I said earlier, that import help does not answer any useful questions at all, especially for FH V7.
tatewise wrote: 01 Jun 2023 10:44 Note that the Support page https://www.treeview.co.uk/import/ advises how to export GEDCOM from FH.
Unfortunately, that illustrates FH V6.2 which used GEDCOM 5.5 and not FH V7.0 which uses GEDCOM 5.5.1.
However, it would not make much difference for Custom Attributes, Fact Witnesses, Place Records, etc.
You need to use the Export Gedcom File plugin as explained earlier.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

Using the Export Gedcom File as Mike suggested I uploaded a new tree to The Genealogist with the following results, a big increase in individual facts/events, sources, citations and notes as would be expected. I haven't downloaded and reimported to FH7 yet.
Screenshot 2023-06-01 162330.jpg
Screenshot 2023-06-01 162330.jpg (16.61 KiB) Viewed 1032 times