* Diagram connecting lines

Questions about creating, customising and using diagrams and charts
robert.1837
Gold
Family Historian: V5

Diagram connecting lines

Post by robert.1837 »

hi sorry if this is in the wrong subject area.

im getting realy stressed out, im trying to do a diagram of all the people in my tree, i can get the diagram up but its not showing all the connection to everyone, with the lines all connecting can someone please help me get this right

many thanks

robert.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Diagram connecting lines

Post by tatewise »

Robert, I have split this from the Reinstalling FH5 thread and posted it in the Diagrams & Charts forum.

What type of Diagram are you trying to display?

I suspect it is All Relatives but that does have some limitations in FH V5 and may not display everyone in your tree.

FH V7 has better Diagram options for displaying everyone in your Project.

Please attach a screenshot of the Diagram that illustrates the problem and describe how you want it improved.
See Forum Usage Tips for Taking Screenshots and Attachments.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
robert.1837
Gold

Post by robert.1837 »

hi tate i hope this is ok. scr
350381966_781372690362210_1289870635042661768_n.jpg
350381966_781372690362210_1289870635042661768_n.jpg (173.86 KiB) Viewed 802 times
all the names are there but it seems to get them i had to click on the extention buttons , but they are also overlaping the names,can i get this so just all the names are on and connecting with each other?

robert
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Have you remembered to go into Diagram options and selected the number of generations to show and set it to a large number?
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
robert.1837
Gold

Post by robert.1837 »

hi jane to be honnest i havnt got a clue im just so frustrated now i dont know how to do this at all

rob
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Jane, that appears to be an Everyone Diagram that I don't think has a Generations option.

Robert, have you perhaps used the Diagram > Insert into Diagram option to add a subtree?

I also don't understand your need to click the extension buttons as there are none in an Everyone Diagram.

I do not have FH V5 installed so it is difficult to advise in any great detail and my advice is based on FH V7.

BTW: You have opened your GEDCOM in standalone mode rather than using a Project. Is that how you usually work?
robert.1837
Gold

Post by robert.1837 »

hi yes , but even in the everyone, they are not connected to each other as they should be there are no lines connecting them all together.

rob
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

tatewise wrote: 01 Jun 2023 12:36 I also don't understand your need to click the extension buttons as there are none in an Everyone Diagram.
Mike, I'm pretty sure its NOT an Everyone diagram, for the reason you have mentioned - as you say, there are no expansion buttons in an Everyone Diagram. I think it's either an All Relatives diagram or a Descendants diagram.

Robert, to follow Jane's suggestion you need to click Diagram in the main toolbar, then on the General tab near the top set the number of Generations Up/Down to All. Then all the generations will be shown without you needing to click any expansion buttons.

An All Relatives diagram will not include people who are not direct relatives of the diagram root, but by selecting a different individual or couple as the diagram root you may be able to include the people you want to see. However, you say that even in an Everyone diagram "they are not connected to each other as they should be". An Everyone diagram will definitely include the links between people and groups, so if it is showing any unconnected groups that means they are genuinely not linked to your main tree. Can you post a screenshot of part of the Everyone diagram showing some unconnected people, and say how you think they should be connected to the main group?
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Lorna, the screenshot very clearly says [Everyone Diagrm] at the top and the Navigation bar starts Ever... so it is not any of the diagrams you mention. I think Rob admitted to using Insert into Diagram and that has complicated things. Those inserts are sitting over the Everyone Diagram but cannot change Generations.

Rob, If you have a complex extended family tree then it is very difficult for FH to display a Diagram of everyone.

The Everyone Diagram ensures every record in your data is displayed but FH cannot connect them all together with black lines so has to use coloured ribbons to link family groups together. If I recall correctly then FH V5 does not arrange the family groups very conveniently but puts them in a vertical stack.

Try the All Relatives diagram that provides a better display with all the boxes connected by black lines.
However, it does not include some indirect relatives.
You need to experiment with a different starting person for the diagram root to get the most people included.

If it is crucial to include those missing indirect relatives then you must use Diagram > Insert into Diagram to add the small missing subtrees and move them to avoid the main tree, but it may get quite complicated.

FH V7 has an extended All Relatives + Indirect Relatives Diagram that includes almost everyone.
So perhaps it is time to upgrade if you want to avoid getting stressed out.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

tatewise wrote: 01 Jun 2023 13:40 Lorna, the screenshot very clearly says [Everyone Diagrm] at the top and the Navigation bar starts Ever...
Ah, OK I was looking at it on a small screen before so didn't spot that. I can now see that on a larger screen. So the overlapping problem is caused by having inserted other types of diagram into the Everyone Diagram. But that should never be necessary, because the Everyone diagram by definition includes them all!

Rob, as Mike and I have both suggested you may get better results by using an All Relatives diagram and choosing a different individual or couple as the diagram root. For example, if you select a couple and then create an All Relatives Diagram for them it will include all the direct relatives of both of the spouses. (One way of selecting a couple is to click on both their boxes in the exisiting diagram while holding down the Ctrl key).
Lorna