* Mouse Pointer Disappearing

Please only post suggestions and requests for help on using this web site here.

For help with FAMILY HISTORIAN itself please post in the Using Family Historian - General Usage Forum above.
GeneSniper
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Mouse Pointer Disappearing

Post by GeneSniper »

Had a little search on here and on t'internet and can't find a solution. I have noticed for a long time now that when I reply to a post or make a new topic that when I take the mouse pointer over either the subject box or main reply box that the mouse pointer goes I am guessing white as it disappears while crossing the box. This means that when you try to move the cursor to edit what you have typed, it is hard to see where it is. I use the Marina Orange skin.

Anyone have any idea's how to cure this?
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *
GeneSniper
Superstar

Re: Mouse Pointer Disappearing

Post by GeneSniper »

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this problem?
William

ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

For me, it doesn't go white; it turns from a white arrow to a white bar (the default 'text select' mouse pointer).

Have you tried adjusting your mouse pointers?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I think you are talking about when the mouse cursor hovers over an active hyperlink.
Active hyperlinks include those in the broad blue header bar above and in almost every web page on the Internet.
So does the problem just apply to the few cases you mentioned or to every hyperlink on every website?

My Windows 10 cursor changes from a pointing arrowhead to a pointing hand, except in a text entry box where it is like a capital I.

In Windows, check Start > Settings > Personalisation > Themes then in the middle click Mouse cursor and check the Pointers and Pointer Options tabs. There you can change things such as displaying pointer trails and hiding while typing.

[Posted at the same time as Helen]
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

Absolutely nothing to do with hyperlinks Mike, that’s why I never mentioned them. I am guessing what Helen says is what I am describing, I have noticed it is a matter of time or clicking. If I click in the windows then the position of the text position turns black or if I just wait 5 or 10 seconds it appears in black, which helps on a white background. It works fine hovering over anywhere else on the forum or websites only these windows.
William

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ah! After some experimentation, I see what you mean. Occasionally the mouse pointer vanishes.

Try the Windows Start > Settings > Ease of Access
Mouse pointer: Change pointer colour ~ Black or Inverted when it is White it sometimes vanishes.
Also try:
Test Cursor: Turn on text cursor indicator &/or Change text cursor thickness
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

I used Windows – Control Panel – Mouse – Pointers and used Customize: Text Select – Browse and clicked on beam_r.cur then Open – Apply – OK. The resulting cursor looks very similiar to the default, but does not vanish in the same way.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

In Windows 10 (and probably Windows 11) the dialogue suggested by Peter can be found at:
Start > Settings > Personalisation > Themes and click Mouse cursor in the middle.
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

Thanks Peter that has solved the problem and yes you are right Mike it is the same in Windows 11.
William