* The Next Generation Export

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
PyreneesPirate
Famous
Family Historian: V7

The Next Generation Export

Post by PyreneesPirate »

Hello,

I use the TNG website to display my FH database, the last time I did an export from FH6 to TNG was about 2 years ago.

As I have family event coming up and many changes to my FH data (including upgrading to FH Ver 7), I thought I go through the process of utililising Mike T's plugin and run an export TNG process. After doing the pre tidying processes and the Bap to Chr change, I ran the plugin and it produced the new gedcom file and I stored it in a temporary directory. On viewing the temp directory I see the new gedcom file and also lots of jpegs. I am sure that when I ran it two years ago, it didn't produce the jpegs.

Can some nice person explain this to me because I am having awful difficulty with media files in the TNG program now, in that when I run the thumbnails program in TNG it is not recognising the majority of my media files? It is probably something that I am doing wrong because the last time on importing into TNG I did experience a few issues on marrying up the media files.

I know there are a number of FH users who use TNG, how do you handle the importing of media files to TNG from FH7 please?

Many thanks,
PP :)
tatewise
Megastar

Re: The Next Generation Export

Post by tatewise »

Last time you used the Export Gedcom File plugin I wonder what Multimedia Preference option you chose.
It is possible to exclude all Media.

The reason for all those Media files is explained in the plugin Help & Advice pages:
https://pluginstore.family-historian.co ... ion-advice
FH allows Face/Detail sub-frames to be drawn on image files without actually cropping them.
Most other products, including TNG, don't support that feature so the plugin creates cropped images for those sub-frames.

The plugin Help & Advice pages explain the upload process to the TNG destination:
https://pluginstore.family-historian.co ... generation
'Import/Export > GEDCOM Import' explains a file transfer process using FTP.

Does that help or do you need more details?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
PyreneesPirate
Famous

Post by PyreneesPirate »

Thanks for your update Mike, I'll take a look at your suggestions.

One question though at the moment.....If I run a FH7 TNG export gedcom and I do not select process Multimedia, i.e. it just produces the Gedcom file, and then I FTP the images across as a manual separate process to the correct directories in TNG, I assume when I import the gedcom into TNG, all the media links are there and the media re-attaches to the appropriate sources and individuals automatically?

Thanks again,
PP
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You must choose a Multimedia Preference option. Which did you have in mind?
Have you reviewed the Export Gedcom File ‘Multimedia Preference’ Advice?
What problem are you trying to solve?

The options (FILE~REL) and (FILE~ABS) keep the Media Records & Path Links and don't export Media files.
I'm not sure how TNG handles Media Records as opposed to Local Media Objects (LMO).

If LMO are required then (FULL~LMO) might be a workable option.

Remember the GEDCOM File Path Links use FH Windows PC folders and file names.
I'm not sure, but I think TNG associates the Media by matching just the file names. A TNG expert will confirm.

Two important further considerations are the _PRIM Y and _TYPE tags.
_PRIM Y identifies which Media is the Primary image for each individual.
_TYPE specifies the Media Collection (Photo, Document, History, etc) for each Media file.

Maybe you could experiment with a small sample Project to see what works for you.
sheepdip11
Platinum

Post by sheepdip11 »

1. In FH Export GEDCOM/ Multimedia Preference I prefer to select (PART-LMO). This preserves into TNG both the FH media Part-frame (head and shoulders) as well as the individual’s main photo.
2. PyreneesPirate: regarding “marrying up the media files” in TNG……Administration/Media are your media files loaded into TNG.
Scrolling through your files in Media a blank Thumbnail box means a missing media file. On the right of the box the GEDCOM from FH shows your file name & details. Also in grey font is the media file number and name from your FH Project’s Public/Export folder where your media file is located. The GEDCOM has also linked this media file to individuals named in the RH column.
Click the tick box and “Edit” to find your media file.
3. The next TNG screenshot appears showing the option File name on site-this is your FH media file that TNG is looking for.
Click on the Choose File box to find your FH Project’s Public/Export folder where your media file (number and name) is located (on your pc or cloud) and Select.
4. Below is option: Thumbnail Image File select Create from Original to get a recognizable thumbnail image visible to appear in the blank Thumbnail box (see para 2.).
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thank you for that insight. I thought there was a way of automating the bulk uploading of media files to the TNG Media folder and associating them with the GEDCOM Media File Links.
sheepdip11
Platinum

Post by sheepdip11 »

Yes Mike, there is a method to bulk-load media to your TNG project. Here is the link: https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php ... ing_GEDCOM
This method is ideal when setting up your TNG project.
I was explaining the option to trace and load missing media in TNG which I understood to be PyreneesPirate's problem. Using this method I am in control and any errors can't be blamed on the program!
PyreneesPirate
Famous

Post by PyreneesPirate »

Hello Tatewise and Sheepdip11,

Many thanks for your input........

I have to admit that this transfer between FH7 and TNG is getting me down.

I have included screenshots of where and how my media data is collated in folders in FH7 and I have also given a shot of my ftp screen so that you can see both my FH7 and the TNG folders. I understand that I just cannot move the FH7 folders across to TNG like they are. I also understand that some of my media files will need to be grouped together to fit TNG's Documents, Histories, Headstones and Photos directories at some point. Do all the files need to be in one area not in separate directories to import into TNG?

I have deleted my tree from TNG, so unless I have to reset the database to clear any old links (is there a way of doing that?) my Template is there but nothing else. I have set up a number of trees in TNG over the past few days, but when I import the media it seems to be looking in the wrong directory...... Should this be SO complicated?

When I do a TNG export through the FH7 plugin it asks where do you want to save the Gedcom file.....where do I need to save the Gedcom file? Does it matter? I think last time I set this to a temporary file and I included the media as well, hence my earlier question as to why there were lots of media files in the temp folder with the Gedcom file. If I redo the export without the media, I assume that the Gedcom produced still has all the pointers / file links but not the actual media? I think I am happy with creating a new tree and importing the Gedcom file into TNG, that seems to work. I think the issue is the media importing or uploading (which one?) How do you set the folders in TNG to pick up the correct FH7 media files?
Screenshot 2022-10-29 153426.JPG
Screenshot 2022-10-29 153426.JPG (69.9 KiB) Viewed 2687 times
Screenshot 2022-10-29 153605.JPG
Screenshot 2022-10-29 153605.JPG (188.56 KiB) Viewed 2687 times
In the TNG help it says "with this procedure you must".

Configure TNG's media folders with the PC file paths that are used in your GEDCOM files. (One time) etc etc

How do I do that?

It would be nice if there was a simple set of instructions to do this.....1). Create a TNG Gedcom file with or without media. 2) Save it in xyz directory. 3) Create a directory that puts the media files in the correct format to import into TNG 4) Import the Gedcom file into TNG 5) Import the media into TNG (with the correct links and how to do it!).....etc etc. Am I the only one experiencing these issues.

I know I am on the FH7 site and more than likely the problem sits with TNG........

I would really appreciate your help.... I used to sell software for a living.............. :lol:

A very stressed,
PP
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I hope sheepdip11 will explain the whole process of using the Export Gedcom File plugin and uploading into TNG.

I have to say, that I suspect part of the problem is trying to use the Project's ...\MLHFamilyTree UK 2023.fh_data\Media instead of concentrating on the output of the Export Gedcom File plugin.

I'm not sure what has changed but the plugin should use the ...\MLHFamilyTree UK 2023\Public\Export\ folder by default, so I don't understand why it was asking where to save the GEDCOM file.
Anyway, in the plugin Basic Options tab, click the Restore Defaults button lower left and select Yes, Continue with Reset to reset the Export folder setting shown.
The exported GEDCOM file and associated Media files will all be saved in that folder.

If you perform the export with Multimedia Preference: (WIPE~ALL) Exclude all the Multimedia Files and Media Records entirely then, as it says, there will be no Media Files no Media Records, so no File Links at all. So the TNG Project will never be able to upload and link to your Media Files.

I recommend you use the Multimedia Preference: (PART~LMO) Part Frames... option the same as sheepdip11 uses.
Make sure the Replicate all media folders option next to the Export folder path is NOT ticked.
That is the best way to get the GEDCOM Media File Links to refer to the uploaded Media Files in the TNG Media folder.

As I said earlier, the plugin Help & Advice pages explain the upload process to the TNG destination:
https://pluginstore.family-historian.co ... generation
Import/Export > GEDCOM Import explains a file transfer process using FTP.
What steps in that process do you need help with?

The use of TNG's Documents, Histories, Headstones and Photos collections are also explained in the Help & Advice.
It relies on Media uppercase _KEYS Keywords to set a _TYPE tag to specify its Media Collection.
But that can be considered later once you have the fundamental upload working.

Please concentrate on the well-trodden path of using the Export Gedcom File plugin with Media in the same Export folder as the GEDCOM file and follow the above instructions. If you get into problems it will be easier to help you if we are all using a similar process.

If you then have specific different requirements for your Media then we can say whether that is feasible or not.
sheepdip11
Platinum

Post by sheepdip11 »

I agree with Mike’s advice (Oct 29). As I understand it you appear to need clarification on: 1) FH7 - Export GEDCOM and 2) Import GEDCOM and media to TNG.
1) FH7 Export GEDCOM
Firstly always carry out checks in the Plug-in Help & Advice (External File links, check for broken media links etc)
PyreneesPirate - Your screenshot shows your \MLHFamilyTree UK 2023.fh_data\Media folder. However your FH7 GEDCOM file should be in the adjoining folder: ...\MLHFamilyTree UK 2023\Public\Export
Each media file is also here with a numeric prefix recognised by the TNG Import Media function (e.g. 0O67 Byrnes, Patrick, b1903 Barrow in Furness.jpg)
So your 29 Oct Message asked how to:
Save it in xyz directory.
Well as Mike said the FH GEDCOM “plugin should use the ...\MLHFamilyTree UK 2023\Public\Export\ folder by default”.
The path is in black font on the left of the FH7 GEDCOM Plugin panel screenshot. If the path is wrong only then do you select “Choose Export Folder”
So are you happy your FH7 GEDCOM Plugin has sent your Export GEDCOM file (TNG UTF8.ged ) to your pc folder - \MLHFamilyTree UK 2023\Public\Export

2) Import GEDCOM to TNG
Next your FTP screenshot; is the above-mentioned TNG UTF8.ged file also loaded on your TNG server-side? Click on your gedcommlh folder, the Export GEDCOM file(TNG UTF8.ged ) there should be identical (date/time, file size) to it in your pc folder…. UK 2023\Public\Export
a) GEDCOM file to TNG gedcomm folder (click "Select" for your FTP'd GEDCOM file):
TNG-Import GEDCOM-my screenshot-Select GEDCOM2.jpg
TNG-Import GEDCOM-my screenshot-Select GEDCOM2.jpg (40.41 KiB) Viewed 2580 times
b) Move GEDCOM file from gedcomm folder to yout TNG project (Import Data). Note in Replace in selected tree I have highlighted All Current data. This replaces your previous GEDCOM file in TNG which I understand you want to do. Import media if present is ticked. Then click Import Data button to load GEDCOM into your tree:
TNG-Import Data-options-my screenshot.jpg
TNG-Import Data-options-my screenshot.jpg (73.17 KiB) Viewed 2580 times
3. Import media to TNG
On Oct 28 I suggested the following:
PyreneesPirate: regarding “marrying up the media files” in TNG……Administration/Media are your media files loaded into TNG.
Scrolling through your files in Media a blank Thumbnail box means a missing media file. On the right of the box the GEDCOM from FH shows your file name & details. Also in grey font is the media file number and name from your FH Project’s Public/Export folder where your media file is located.

So in TNG - Administration/Media did you try this and find missing media? (blank Thumbnail boxes).
TNG Media file missing-my screenshot.jpg
TNG Media file missing-my screenshot.jpg (73.09 KiB) Viewed 2580 times
Alternatively on your server-side screenshot folders titled: Documents or Histories, Photos… are all your files there in the server folder?
Here are some links to TNG Wiki Help:
https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php ... MMedia.gif

https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php ... a_into_TNG

https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php ... 4media.jpg
https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php/Media_-_Add_New
https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php ... a_into_TNG

As Mike has suggested is this a FH7 or TNG-side difficulty?
Peter
https://www.peterhannaway.co.uk/
Last edited by sheepdip11 on 31 Oct 2022 18:47, edited 2 times in total.
PyreneesPirate
Famous

Post by PyreneesPirate »

Thank you Tatewise and Sheepdip for your input and help on this, sorry for the delayed reply but I have been away for a few days.

I carried out the Gedcom TNG export (1st cut) today and all the Gedcom file and the jpegs went into the appropriate folder.

I set up a new tree in TNG and imported the FH7 Gedcom into TNG, that went through fine (I think), I had a look at some the people in my database and yes they were there......one thing I did notice (and Mike will probably tell me I told you so!) is that the sources are listed below the individual as normal, but where I have used the Template option in FH7 it showed the Text to Source in total in the listing.....probably don't want that....Is there a setting in the TNG Export to stop that?
Screenshot 2022-11-02 204622.jpg
Screenshot 2022-11-02 204622.jpg (128.82 KiB) Viewed 2485 times
OK, I did try an Upload of the jpegs by selecting, Media, select files, selecting the FH7 export folder jpegs and then upload and after a few tries I managed to bring them into the Photos area of TNG (which is what TNG tells us in the instructions) and I could see them, apart from a few that said too large etc. However, they were still not attached to the sources etc when I looked at individual records. Tried to generate some Thumbnails and all failed stating file not found...it obviously wasn't looking in the correct area.......Is this a file path problem?........where do you put these paths and what do you actually put in them.

I have now deleted my tree in TNG again, for the umpteenth time................
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As I said earlier, see the details for the TNG destination: https://pluginstore.family-historian.co ... generation

See under Media Records & Local Media Objects (OBJE) where it says how to set the _TYPE tag to specify a Media Collection.
I am not a TNG expert, but in the context of FH GEDCOM migration to TNG a Media Collection such as Photo is not determined by a file path but by the _TYPE tag being set to PHOTO. Whether there is another way of moving files by adjusting file paths I don't know. sheepdip11 may be able to advise.

As it says in the TNG advice, see the (Std+) Full Data Export Details: https://pluginstore.family-historian.co ... rt_details
See under Source Records & Templates (SOUR, _SRCT) where the options are identified.
If in the Basic Options tab, you choose (-) Brief Data instead of (+) Full Data then some details are omitted.
See the (Std-) Brief Data Export Details under Source Records & Templates (SOUR, _SRCT) where it explains what is omitted in Sources.
Most of those options are on the Extra Options tab, and to omit the Templated Source Text From Source details, change the Source Template 1 _SRCT: setting to Remove entirely ( Std- ).

There are a great many options in the Plugin to cope with the vagueries of all the GEDCOM fields and the way they are implemented in FH and all the other products and as requested by users over the years. It will take some time to discover all the options that are important to you, but I am happy to help and so is sheepdip11.
sheepdip11
Platinum

Post by sheepdip11 »

PP let me try and help with your final paragraph.
1) I did try an Upload of the jpegs…………. I managed to bring them into the Photos area of TNG….
Tried to generate some Thumbnails and all failed stating file not found...it obviously wasn't looking in the correct area.......Is this a file path problem?...

In the first screenshot below:
a) You've selected your Collection (Photos, Documents, Histories etc)
b) You've found and loaded the media file when it appears to the right of the Choose file button - here it's 00547 Hann...... in the black font.
c) Thumbnail Image File; select option Create from original. Whether it's a photo or document it will reproduce a recognisable thumbnail-small image. You don't have to search for anything!
TNG Thumbnail &add Media1.jpg
TNG Thumbnail &add Media1.jpg (93.15 KiB) Viewed 2406 times
2)....they were still not attached to the sources etc when I looked at individual records.....
Further down the page from the above screenshot is "attaching" or linking the media file, shown below in the 2nd screenshot. It shows the Existing Link(s) from FH7 reproduced from your imported GEDCOM (here it's linked to Patrick McGinnis and Hugh Hannaway). You connect the media to each Link in turn.
a) First Person-Click on the Action button to produce the RH pop-up screen
b) Select the Save button to link
Repeat a) and b) to Link media to the 2nd Person

c)You must select Save + Exit button before leaving this Edit Existing Media page
a)
TNG Link media to Person(s) 1.jpg
TNG Link media to Person(s) 1.jpg (60.89 KiB) Viewed 2406 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thank you for that explanation of how to adjust the Media manually.
However, will that need to be repeated every time a new GEDCOM is uploaded?
If so, the better solution is to use the FH Media record Keywords field to specify the collection _TYPE as I explained.
Once established, that works each time the GEDCOM is uploaded.
sheepdip11
Platinum

Post by sheepdip11 »

tatewise wrote: 04 Nov 2022 15:54 Thank you for that explanation of how to adjust the Media manually.
However, will that need to be repeated every time a new GEDCOM is uploaded?
If so, the better solution is to use the FH Media record Keywords field to specify the collection _TYPE as I explained.
Once established, that works each time the GEDCOM is uploaded.
Yes Mike, FH Media Keywords should load the file into the correct collection. When BB wrote: after a few tries I managed to bring them into the Photos area of TNG I thought he was still struggling with Media collections!!
PyreneesPirate
Famous

Post by PyreneesPirate »

Hello again and thank you for your input.

OK, I have cleaned out my tree from TNG and the only old links that are left in TNG according to the also very helpful guy that wrote the TNG software are the media links.

I removed the old GEDCOM file from the gedcommlh directory in TNG.

I went back into FH7.....

Christenings to Baptisms
Uncategorised Data
External links
Unlinked media
Project Statistics

Reset the Gedcom Export program
Selected the TNG facility
Changed the Source Template 1 _SRCT: setting to Remove entirely ( Std- ).

Cleaned out the Export folder
Ran the Gedcom
Undid the Christenings to Baptisms

Into Filezilla FTP'd the Gedcom to gedcommlh folder.

Imported the Gedcom into TNG and set up a new test tree at the same time.

Checked on a person's file and I still have this happening even after selecting the option: Changed the Source Template 1 _SRCT: setting to Remove entirely ( Std- ).

Screenshot 2022-11-04 172806.jpg
Screenshot 2022-11-04 172806.jpg (137.93 KiB) Viewed 2384 times

I then ftp'd the first 6 jpgs from the Export folder into the Photos folder of TNG, went into the Media area of TNG and ran a Thumbnail process, it produced the Thumbnails for the 6 jpgs. (See Screenshot below)

Screenshot 2022-11-04 173205.jpg
Screenshot 2022-11-04 173205.jpg (190.82 KiB) Viewed 2384 times

Went into the person's file looking for the Source to her Birth Certificate entry and as you can see it is not attached even though the Thumbnail has been produced.
Screenshot 2022-11-04 173725.jpg
Screenshot 2022-11-04 173725.jpg (175.65 KiB) Viewed 2384 times
I exported a Gedcom two years ago to TNG and I am sure that it automatically assigned the correct media file to the source without having to do it individually. I have over 3500 media items.......

Whether it is something to do with this _TYPE thing I do not know, but I am sure that I didn't have to get involved with Keywords & _TYPEs etc last time. Maybe the Gedcom program has changed since then?

I am not a programmer....... but that's where I am at the moment.

I will ask on the other side to see if they can establish what might be the problem and if I can find out what is going on, I'll report back.

I just want the website to work.

Thanks again for your input and hope we can find the solution, I am sure it can't be this difficult?? Can it?

PP
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry PP, just saying "still have this happening" leaves me guessing what the problem is.
You know exactly what is happening that you don't want, so please be more specific or highlight it in the screenshot.
Previously you mentioned Templated Sources so I guessed it was the values for Name Recorded, Date, Registration District, Reference that you wanted to remove, and they have gone.
I'm guessing you want to remove the tabulated Date, Name, Reference, Registration District, Mother's Maiden name.
If that is literally from your Source Citation Text From Source field then the Plugin has no option to remove that.
Nobody has ever requested that before.
You will have to temporarily use Copy Project or Export > GEDCOM File and run the Clean Unwanted Fields plugin to remove the Text From Source fields before using the Export Gedcom File plugin.

Regarding the Media have you set the TNG five Media Collection folders to media and left Local…Path(s) blank as explained in the Help page https://pluginstore.family-historian.co ... generation under Paths and Folders.
That should automatically associate all the Media correctly without manual intervention.
I suspect that is what you did years ago, whereas now my guess is that you are not setting the collection folders & paths as specified above.
PyreneesPirate
Famous

Post by PyreneesPirate »

Ok, the guy from TNG went on to my system last night and he confirmed that "none of you media is linked to anyone"...which is good to find out. His last line was "I'm guessing that the links were not present in your Gedcom file".

This morning I have deleted my tree again off TNG and cleared out again any old media links.

I set the Folders to Media like you said:
Screenshot 2022-11-05 125839.jpg
Screenshot 2022-11-05 125839.jpg (184.15 KiB) Viewed 2328 times

Went through the process of regenerating a Gedcom file with FULL-ABS selected. All the files were produced in the Public\Export folder.

FTP'd the Gedcom to TNG....... that's where I am at the moment.....in which directory do I ftp the media files now and how can I check if the FH7 Gedcom has included all the individual links to the sources please?

Like I mentioned before, I know that I didn't have to link the jpgs to sources 'one by one' last time in TNG.

Thanks
PP
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

See the Help page https://pluginstore.family-historian.co ... generation under Import/Export > GEDCOM Import where it says:
To avoid upload time-outs, it is best to transfer the GEDCOM file to the TNG GEDCOM folder, and Media files to the media folder, using an FTP utility to choose the FH Plugin Export folder and the Project…TNG UTF8.ged or Project…TNG ISO.ged file and Media files to upload.
I think FULL-LMO would be better than FULL-ABS because I believe TNG prefers Local Media Objects to Media records.
PyreneesPirate
Famous

Post by PyreneesPirate »

Hello Tatewise and Sheepdip.

Thanks again for the input. One thing that my TNG update has shown is that the TNG system doesn't cope well with lumped sources, I have only really found this out when doing this current update. The last time I updated was about two years ago when using FH6 and as I am a splitter, the issue didn't raise its head.

Screenshot 2022-11-08 101300.jpg
Screenshot 2022-11-08 101300.jpg (135.22 KiB) Viewed 2251 times

Sources 9 to13 are split FH7 sources, Source 14 is a templated FH7 source and highlights the actual source details on the source selection menu. If you select this source, it shows all the other persons connected, in this case to the BMD Marriage Index which is not really required for the individual involved.

With regards to the FH7 export to TNG...... ALL the media finally linked to the sources automatically after inputting the local import paths:

Screenshot 2022-11-08 101839.jpg
Screenshot 2022-11-08 101839.jpg (191.53 KiB) Viewed 2251 times

I am still finding data issues, like file too large etc and a few other things that I need to look at in FH7. Does anybody know of a good jpeg compressor?

This time I have moved all the media across en-masse to the Photos Directory and will the split them up into Histories, Headstones etc within TNG. I find it easier to do a file comparison en bulk to make sure that I have all the media across correctly, but I would like to know more about the Keyword Option in FH7 and how this can relate to a more structured export/import from FH7 to TNG. For example, if I put Histories as a Keyword to a media file in FH7 will that allow me to export that media file directly into the Histories Directory in TNG? Also, the actual filenames of the media..... Is it worth renaming them, so that a Baptism for instance has BP John Smith 01021801 Sherborne, Gloucestershire etc and a Death Certificate has DC John Smith 01021863 Sherborne, Gloucestershire? I currently have all the Baptisms in a Baptism Directory like this John Smith 01021801 Sherborne, Gloucestershire , so there is no identifier of a Baptism in the file name.

Appreciate your comments.

Thanks to you both for trying to help over the past couple of weeks.

PP
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It seems that significant progress has been achieved.

So, the Citation Text From Souce for lumped Sources is causing the problem illustrated by the England and Wales Civil Index of Marriages. I notice that the Source record Text From Source is not shown, so are there options in TNG that govern the display of Text From Source fields just as there is in FH Reports? Maybe that option is turned off for Source records but is turned on for Citations?

See FHUG Knowledge Base > Links > Services & Utilities > IrfanView which is free and can adjust the compression of JPG files or even better convert them to PNG files that offer loss-less compression. I believe it can perform bulk conversion of multiple files.

Set the Media Keyword to the uppercase name of a TNG Media Collection to automatically assign it to that collection.
e.g. Keyword: PHOTO or Keyword: HISTORY or Keyword: DOCUMENT
See the Help page https://pluginstore.family-historian.co ... generation under Media Records & Local Media Objects (OBJE).
However, it does not alter the folder where the Media is held but adds a _TYPE: PHOTO or _TYPE: HISTORY code to the Media object that allows the specified collection to be listed separately.

I don't think it is worth renaming Media files unless you have a particular problem with their names in TNG.
PyreneesPirate
Famous

Post by PyreneesPirate »

Ok it's been a little while regarding the Gedcom transfer from FH7 to TNG 13.1 .

I will try to highlight the steps that I carried out to try to achieve a smooth transfer. I am sure that what I list below is already known by certain FH7/TNG users, so I apologize for highlighting things that some users already know.

First of all I ran all the pretest checks on FH7 - Plugins UDF, Tools External files, Plugin Unlinked Media, Plugin Show Project statistics. I then ran the Plugin - Change Any Fact to convert Baptisms to Christening to fit in with TNG. I then ran Mike's excellent Plugin Export Gedcom File and selected the TNG options to include Source Template 1_SRCT (Remove Entirely), Source Type 1_TYPE (Remove Entirely). I initially selected the PART-LMO option for the transfer. Emptied the Export folder and then ran the Gedcom. Rerun the Plugin - Change Any Fact to convert Christenings back to Baptisms in FH7.

In TNG I accessed the Set Up - Configuration - Import Settings

Screenshot 2022-12-07 104358.jpg
Screenshot 2022-12-07 104358.jpg (111.64 KiB) Viewed 1703 times

I then used a file transfer program to put the Gedcom file that was sitting in the Export folder into the Gedcom directory of TNG. I then used the Import Gedcom facility to import this (from website) Gedcom. There are a number of other options on this page to tick etc (see below).

Screenshot 2022-12-07 104812.jpg
Screenshot 2022-12-07 104812.jpg (142.48 KiB) Viewed 1703 times

If you then come out of the Administration area on TNG and do a search on one of your Ancestors you should see all the information in chronological order and the sources BUT no media!

Then I FTP's (transferred) all of the media en masse to the 'photos' directory on TNG (You can also use the Upload option in the Admin - Media area of the TNG program instead of the FTP option.

I then went to the Admin - Media area of the TNG program. At the top of this page you have a number of options. (see below).

Screenshot 2022-12-07 105424.jpg
Screenshot 2022-12-07 105424.jpg (112.8 KiB) Viewed 1703 times

On the search tab you will see all your media in the photo directory but not linked yet. So select the Thumbnail Option and select the Generate button. This will generate the thumbnail jpgs for all the media in the photos directory and when finished will give you a list of jpgs that have not transferred (too large, not there etc). You can the return to the Search area of the media, where all the Thumbnails linked to the Sources appear.

In the Admin - Media area, I then decided to set up new Collections to suit my directory structure on FH7 (I decided to create these directories through the file transfer program on my website rather than through the Collection option, matched up the Directory names and all went well) Individual Census, Marriages, Wills, Misdemeanors etc and I then en masse moved them from the photos directory to each new Collection that I had created, so after about half an hour I had just photos left in the photos directory. With the photos I then used the produce Album option and set up five or six albums for parts of my family and village photos etc. All of these new collections appear on the welcome screen for individuals who wish to view the website, plus the Albums are there as well.

A few idiosyncrasies I have found during this process. TNG prefers split sources, In the Rich text transferred an individual, place etc that has been linked in FH7 doesn't display correctly. It has made me revisit my whole file naming process for media files and as a result I have attached Keywords to all media via the lovely plugin written in FH7 (I can now easily find and select any media item that I need to move to my new collection in TNG.

Sometimes I had to reimport the Gedcom file in TNG to regenerate the links...and the last time I selected FULL-LMO option on the export and it produced all the thumbnail portraits which when put into the photos directory on TNG and followed by a Generate Thumbnail option in TNG, put all the portaits in their rightful place.

I would like to thank Mike and Sheepdip for their initial help and I would like to have attached a few more photos, but for some reason it stopped after Adding three files. If I come across any other items I will update.

All the best,
PP
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Phew! That seems to be a successful outcome.
Both FH and TNG are complex products, so getting them to work together the way you want will often be a challenge.

These FHUG Forum postings only allow three attachments. So you must post another reply to add additional images.

Perhaps you missed the posting Export Gedcom - TNG - BAPM v CHR (20617) which resulted in an updated Export Gedcom File plugin with the Baptism Event 1 BAPM: Change to Christening option.
So you don't need the Change Any Fact Tag plugin steps.