* Website Generators

Post here to suggest corrections, additions, changes etc to the FHUG KnowledgeBase . Include as much information as possible to help editors act on your post.

Moderator: kb admin

arthurk
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Website Generators

Post by arthurk »

I was taking a look at Services & Utilities > Website Generator tools, but discovered that some are listed under Services & Utilities > Gedcom Tools. Would it make more sense to move them? The ones which I think this would apply to are GedSite, GigaTrees, and PhpGedView. (Maybe also SVG Family-Tree Generator, from Applications & Utilities?)

Would it also be worth adding Webtrees as a website generator? This is a fork of PhpGedView, and as far as I can make out is under active development, whereas my hosting provider's software installer warns that "PhpGedView has not been updated for more than two years and may no longer be maintained or supported by the script vendor". (It actually looks like about 6 years.) I don't have any experience of using any of these tools, though, so I'm not the person to write about it.

Incidentally, I found that on all three of the Website Generators, Gedcom Tools and Applications & Utilities pages, when I clicked the link icon in the top blue bar (for copying into this post), the link came up referring to the first article listed rather than the page as a whole. Is that what's intended?
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Website Generators

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

arthurk wrote: 29 Aug 2022 13:10 Incidentally, I found that on all three of the Website Generators, Gedcom Tools and Applications & Utilities pages, when I clicked the link icon in the top blue bar (for copying into this post), the link came up referring to the first article listed rather than the page as a whole. Is that what's intended?
Known 'feature'. KB Link question (20565).

I'll wait for others to pitch on on the rest of your post... but will say I'd rather Webtrees (or anything else) was recommended by somebody who uses it before we add it.
arthurk
Superstar

Post by arthurk »

Thanks, Helen - I'll await further comments from others.
arthurk
Superstar

Post by arthurk »

Bumping this as these issues might have been overlooked:

(a) whether some items should be moved from Gedcom Tools to Website Generators

(b) possible new link for Webtrees (if anyone has used it)