* Exporting complete tree

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
GeneSniper
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Exporting complete tree

Post by GeneSniper »

Hi all,

I’ve never really been that successful when I export a tree to a relative who is using different genealogy software. My question is what is the best format to build the tree in, so that everything including all media is exported? Is it best to use Generic, DEA or Ancestral Sources.

William
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Exporting complete tree

Post by tatewise »

As usual, it helps us to understand your problem if you could describe what techniques you have tried, so that we don't waste both our time suggesting solutions you already know about.

Using AS and DEAs is irrelevant as far as exports are concerned, as their output only mimics what you can do manually in FH.

Generic versus Templated source citations is discussed in FHUG KB Sources and Citations in Version 7 (for New Users) and in Sources and Citations in Version 7 (for Upgraders) primarily under the Should I Use Source Templates? section. Your choice only affects the Source Citation details in the destination product and not the general family tree details.

A lot depends on the product(s) you intend to export to and the extent to which they support standard GEDCOM and some de facto extensions such as shared Fact Witnesses and Sort Dates and Media. A complication with Media is if you have used Link to Face frames that few other products support. What genealogy product does your relative use? Are you expecting to exchange updated GEDCOM files back and forth? Are data privacy issues a concern?

Usually, the best solution is to use the Export Gedcom File plugin from the Plugin Store and select the destination product rather than use the FH File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File command options.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

Export Gedcom File seem to do the trick, thanks Mike. I was just checking that there wasn't a 'best method' for inputting information before exporting a tree out of FH. I don't do it often, but anytime I did, it just never seemed to work the way I was hoping, but as I said Export Gedcom File seems to do what I was looking for.

Thanks again.
William

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

William, the 'best method' for inputting data into FH is to investigate what is supported in the other product(s) you want to use.
Then restrict your FH data to a subset of the features supported by both FH and the other product(s), or accept that some data features in FH may not migrate well to the other product(s). If not sure which product(s) you may want to use, then investigate the free versions of some popular ones such as RootsMagic, Legacy, Heredis, Ancestry, FindMyPast, etc.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

Mike,

You have misread my question. I have just had a few requests from relatives asking for some information and they use different software. It happens very rarely but when it has I have always had some problems with the export. Using your plug-in seems to have cured any issues. I tried it with my version of FTM2019 and sent a couple of other exports to relatives I knew who used other software that I had problems with before and they said it worked fine.

Again thanks for your plug-in, works a treat for what I want.
William