* Migrating to new Windows 11 Laptop existing 2nd installation

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
mnjjames
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Migrating to new Windows 11 Laptop existing 2nd installation

Post by mnjjames »

I have read the migration topic I just need to clarify what the process for the scenario descibed below.

With FH V6 I had the software installed on my desktop PC and on my laptop which I used when I was out and about at archives etc. I have purchased a new laptop as the old one was giving errors, FH6 was installed originally on the laptop then migrated to FH7 as a upgrade not new installation. My question is do I need to install FH6 on new laptop, then upgrade to FH7 before copying projects across and opening them in the software. The instructions indicate to open up in FH6 before upgrading, I appreciate the guide may not have been written for this scenario, so can please advise whether my suggested route is to upgrade before I open up the projects in the software.

I appreciate that I would need to deinstall software on old PC before installing on new to comply with licence arrangements.

Thanks

Martin
Gowermick
Megastar

Re: Migrating to new Windows 11 Laptop existing 2nd installation

Post by Gowermick »

I have just been through this exercise, and if memory serves me right, this is my experience:-

When updating FH7 to FH7.0.9, the download file I received was actually a complete re-install of FH. I used this file to install FH7.0.9 my new PC. i.e. there is no need to install FH6 on the new PC, just go straight to FH7.0.9
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

When you purchase FH7 as an 'upgrade' to V6 the installation file you receive is the same as if you had paid the full price - it's only the price which is different. So you can install FH7 directly on the new laptop without first installing V6.

When you attempt to register a third installation, the activation process will ask you which of the existing two is to be deactivated. This means that you don't need to uninstall it first, it will be deactivated by CP.

By the way, as you are now using V7 could you update your profile as it is still showinf V6. (Click on your username at top right and select Profile).
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Do you also have FH v7 installed on your desktop?
Are the desktop and the old laptop synchronised so that they both have the same Projects and the same custom settings?

I ask because, when you install FH v7 on the new laptop you must deactivate FH v7 on the old laptop.
Then you will not be able to use the old laptop to create backups of Projects or custom settings.
So you must ensure you do that before installing FH v7 on the new laptop.
However, if your desktop is a duplicate of the old laptop then the desktop can provide all the backups.

In other words, see the Family Historian Copy and Migration Guide and decide which is your source PC when the new laptop is your target PC. It is essential that the source and target PC are both using the same FH version.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
mnjjames
Gold

Post by mnjjames »

Thnak you to everyone who has replied much appreciated, I knew there would be someone from the forums wealth of experience who could put my mind at rest. Will leave the move until tomorrow as I have had a glass of wine with my evening meal. :roll:

I have upgraded profile to show V7.

Martin
mnjjames
Gold

Post by mnjjames »

All installed successfully, files accessible, thanks for all yoyr help.

Martin