* FH not finding WebView2 runtime

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
RandyC
Gold
Family Historian: V7

FH not finding WebView2 runtime

Post by RandyC »

Hello I have just installed the trial of FH7 and I am trying to get it going. I have searched and searched and I seem to be the only one having this problem.

The WebView2 component was not installed during the original installation, so I followed the instructions here perfectly I believe, it wasn't too complex.

System is Win7 SP1 64bit

Microsoft Edge Webview2 Runtime - version 97.001072.55 is showing in the list of installed programs in the control panel.

The last statement on the help tutorial above is:
"When the install has completed, start Family Historian. You should find that the Web Search window is now working and can now display web pages."
But, the web search window still shows the error: cannot display: missing required component.

I also tried the "search the internet" button, same result.

Thank you all for all you do, I have been reading here for 6 months in preparation for attempting this trial.
Randy C
tatewise
Megastar

Re: FH not finding WebView2 runtime

Post by tatewise »

The first thing to try is a PC Restart. Not a Shutdown but a Restart, which is better at resetting any misplaced settings.
If that does not help then try reinstalling the FH v7 download and ensure you opt to include the WebView2 component.
I can confirm that the same WebView2 version is installed in Windows 10 64-bit.

Having said all that, it is not recommended to keep running Windows 7 now that its support has expired.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
RandyC
Gold

Post by RandyC »

Thank you for the quick response,

I have tried the restart, I will reinstall FH7 and answer yes this time to webview2 and report back.

Thanks again
RandyC
Gold

Post by RandyC »

Thank you so much, that got it working.

As always, hindsight is 20/20, I am kicking myself, it seems like I should have thought to do that before asking.

Hopefully I will improve with age :roll: