* Query for all Relatives?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Query for all Relatives?

Post by E Wilcock »

I am still looking at deportation and emigration lists.
I would like to have a Query for people who were deported with no family or relatives in that deportation.

Is there any way of having an all relatives query. To exclude all relatives?
Or do I need separate lines to exclude each relative by name? I have run the query with lines excluding ancestor, descendant and spouse.
The results are not what I expected so I am probably doing something wrong.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Query for all Relatives?

Post by tatewise »

As usual, it is extremely helpful if you can post what you have tried and failed and why.
It sounds like you are using the Rows tab and the Relations tab at the bottom?

However, the problem is trickier than it first appears...

First, you must populate the Result Set with the members of the Named List.
So, the first Row filter must be Add if =IsInList(%INDI%,["List Name"]) is true to add everyone from the Named List.

Then from the Relations tab use Exclude if an Ancestor of anyone in the current result set. Include relatives spouses.
So far so good.
Now if you use Exclude if a Descendant of anyone in the current result set. Include relatives spouses. that will NOT exclude anyone who is a Descendant of the people excluded as Ancestors above because they are no longer in the Result Set :x
What you want to do is exclude anyone who is a Descendant of anyone in the original Named List and I don't see how to do that in a Query. It would be easier in a Plugin. Unless anyone has a better idea?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Re: Query for all Relatives?

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you Mike.
I am just posting to say it is not worth anyone writing a plug in thank you.
I can sort the information I need by just using queries. Because the number of people who interest me is a very small sub section of a long list and I can use other attributes to get the group I want.