* Permanent switch on Extended Fact set

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
jsphillips
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Permanent switch on Extended Fact set

Post by jsphillips »

I find it very annoying not to have the extended fact set permanently switched on and having to go to more each time to activate. I cannot see in previous mails/reports if this can be done. Also in the extended list for Electoral rolls the sentence reads "He experienced xxx" instead of he lived ?
If I update to FH 7 does all my extensions in facts go across ?
Any help ...thanks
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Permanent switch on Extended Fact set

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Yes, if you update to V7, your custom fact sets and customised facts move across.

I'm not seeing the same behaviour -- the only facts from the extended set I can't see are the ones I've deliberately hidden (and I can see those if I use Show Hidden.)

Are you sure your Extended Fact sets aren't being superseded by another set?

There isn't an Electoral Roll fact in the Extended Set -- are you sure it isn't a custom fact you've created (as an Electoral Roll would normally be a Source and not a Fact). 'X experienced ...' is the default sentence for a custom fact.
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Thank you
When I seek to add a fact for a record I use ad facts and a "quick set" (frequently used ) appears and if applicable use this or the full set. Yes I recreated Military records (several) Electoral roll etc.
My problem is as follows when creating a new record or adding data to an existing record if I wish to add say an Electoral roll entry when I go into add facts this fact is not available except by adding more and then more again for hidden facts to appear.
What I wanted to do was to have presented to me a COMPLETE list of facts including my added facts without having to go into hidden facts.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Facts aren't hidden by default.... Have you hidden some you need to use in error? If so, it's simple enough to unhide them: Tools> Fact Types > Edit the fact in question and then unmark it hidden.

As I said, there isn't an Electoral Roll fact in the standard or Extended Set, so you couldn't have recreated it, just created a new one. You customise the sentence in Tools > Fact Types >Edit.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

By "quick set" I assume you mean the list of facts which appears when you click the Add Fact button. You can add any other frequently used facts to this list, using Tools> Fact Types> Edit. Then tick the Fast-Add Menu option near the bottom of the Fact Definition dialog.
Lorna
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Thanks
All I want to do is to when in a record I want to add a fact, that I see all (including custom facts) in one window and not just the standard facts. I can get this at the moment by clicking fact more then more gain and ticking Hidden facts ie I want to see all facts in 1 go when I add...ie I see without further ticking the FULL hidden & Standard List.
That is EVERY single fact Custom and other without having to tick Hidden
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Lorna has explained how to do that via the Tools >Fact Types... command. Tick the option for every fact you want to appear in the Fast Add menu.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Then Edit every hidden fact to be not hidden (you must have set them hidden in the past). And also add all facts to the Fast Add menu (although that means it won't really be a Fast Add menu...)

Then Add Type > More Fact Types does exactly what you want.

If you expand the Fact Types dialog you can see which ones need to be edited (for example, I've hidden most of the Extended Fact Set as I don't use it).
Screenshot 2021-10-02 154208.jpg
Screenshot 2021-10-02 154208.jpg (270.04 KiB) Viewed 3408 times
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Upgradeing to FH 7, resets all your "Fast Add" facts in the "Fast Add" Menu in the Facts list. You have to set them up again!

It is a simple matter to go through each facts you want in your Fast Add Facts list, and then edit it and tick "Fast Add Menu".

I lost all my quich facts during the upgrade, and had to re-select them all
Last edited by Gowermick on 02 Oct 2021 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

That's odd, Mike -- I didn't lose any of my Fast Add Facts and I don't recall anyone else reporting that they did.
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Helen,
I thought I mentioned it on the forum, but perhaps it was something I intended to do, but forgot.

In my case I had added Probate to fast Add menu, and this disappeared after the upgrade. Simple matter to get it back, so perhaps I didn't bother reporting it :oops:
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Thanks all for your help
I am now more "tuned in"
I appear to have created various fact types and used them on my data types
I have gone into them to edit and found them as "undefined" do you wish to create a new definition ? and non editable.
How do I deal with this without deleting the data in the individual records
a little worried her as I do not know how many records are affected.
What is the difference between standard and extended facts when creating ?
Thank you
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

First, you cannot create standard or extended fact types -- they are created by Family Historian; you can however customise them. Any fact types you create need to go in a custom fact set (typically called custom, but you can have more than one custom fact set if you wish).

You can create however create custom fact types with the same name as standard or extended fact types; if you do this, they 'eclipse the standard ones.

A screenshot of what you are seeing would be helpful before advising you on how to sort things out.
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Some time ago I decided to add some facts of which are below
Hobby
Skill set
HM Services
All worked and I added data to the records against these
I have now "unhidden" them but various individual records were updated with the relevant data successfully.
I have many others of similar type custom facts all of which I now need to use them again and it is only because I wanted to use them again I went into hidden so that I could see and use them but then also wanted to edit them for dates and other items. I found then I could not edit as they were undefined.
I wish to create these again as Custom but worry about what they require to be defined and it would confuse the already created undefined ones. I also do not know which records have these undefined facts.
Perhaps using and leaving them as undefined might suffice ??
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Screenshots would make things much clearer!

1. Your fact type list
2. One of the problem fact definitions
3. Where you are seeing them shown as 'undefined'
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Hi Cole Valley Girl
I attach 2 lists of facts , 1a and 1b as they were extra long.
I would hasten to add that all of the undefined ones work and appear where applicable in the individual records
I wish all of the undefined ones become "undefined" or correct
But I wish that this would not affect the entries already made in the individual records.
I would be extremely helpful if you could assist in this matter
I have about 20 projects some lengthy in records but the fact list does not seem to apply to all projects which I like so to do
Thanks
Attachments
Fact List 1a.JPG
Fact List 1a.JPG (151.37 KiB) Viewed 3236 times
Fact List 1b.JPG
Fact List 1b.JPG (187.19 KiB) Viewed 3236 times
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Quick query: have you ever imported from a Gedcom file generated by another programme? I suspect you've got into this position by importing those facts. It's hard to create a fact that doesn't belong in a fact set any other way!

In any case, your way forward is to edit each <undefined> fact to define its characteristics, including assigning it to a Custom fact set. This will not change where a fact is used, but it will make it defined (including having a narrative sentence template better than 'X experienced Y').

Once you've added them to a Fact Set they should become available in other projects.

Work With Fact Sets is the relevant part of the Help file.
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Thanks
I am not sure about the import but in the early days of FH 5 I had help from a variety of people .
Regardless I cannot seem to edit the existing undefined facts it will not let me please tell me how to so do
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

So when you click on them in the Fact Types window the Edit button doesn't become active?
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Yes but is says cannot edit
Also I have noticed that the fact list does not go over to all my other projects anyway.
I ithink Mike Tate helped me on this years ago. Is Mike on holiday at moment I think i printed off some help from him years ago ?
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

In that case, I suggest you search your old posts, although having scanned them myself, I can see multiple occasions when you asked for help with custom facts and were told how to create them (which would have involved specifying a custom fact set), but nothing about working with undefined facts. Or you could find your print-out of Mike's advice, perhaps?

I do wonder if somehow you have deleted a custom fact set file... What files do you have in C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Fact Types\Custom ?

Re the Fact List not going over to other projects, as I already said "Once you've added them to a Fact Set they should become available in other projects."

I'm not privy to Mike's diary.
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Thanks for that
Perhaps I was not so clever many years ago and did not make them Custom and fully defined just left them
I have now gone into the undefined and edited to Custom and adjusted where necessary the various attributes and hidden or unhidden.
I do have the book Family Historian 6 but it is not very helpful
Do the Custom facts go over to all projects ?
It is not clear what the difference is between Standard and Extended please can you help on this please in order that i can if necessary alter some of the Custom facts
Once again you are a star thanks for your invaluable help
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Standard Facts are the facts supported by the Gedcom standard.

Extended Facts were introduced in FH6.1 to provide support for importing from FTM or Ancestry. By default, they are <hidden> but can be unhidden if required. (If a fact type is <hidden>, but has previously been used, it will continue to work -- it just won't show up when you go to add a new fact to an individual.)

As I said earlier in this thread, you cannot add facts to the Standard or Extended fact sets -- only Calico Pie can do that. You can however, modify e.g. the sentence template for Standard and Extended Facts.

Standard and Extended fact sets are available to all projects; any changes you make to them apply to all projects.

Custom fact types (which by default are in a Fact Set called Custom, but you can have multiple different custom facts sets with different names) are by default available to all projects. V7 introduced the ability to create custom fact types (and fact sets) which are specific to a single project, but you have to tick an option box when creating the fact type to make this happen. Once they're created for a single project, you can copy them to a custom fact set that is shared between projects if you wish.
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Thanks for all
Last Question
In my Default main Project I have Ancestor Count and separately Descendant count.
These work well
In facts list these appear to be Custom but the count works
Same thing in other projects but no count shown
In Children count it works in all Projects
I assume that there is a setting in Standard which is not taking place in other projects to give the results
Although I cannot see where the account is set as I have no standard Ancestor & descendant counts in any thing although the count works in my default main project ?
Thanks
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Can you do a screenshot of the definitions for those facts? They're Custom facts, so nothing in the Standard fact set should affect them. (Child Count is a Standard fact, so will appear in all projects, but the value has to be manually entered (or set via a plugin), as will your Ancestor and Descendant Count Facts).