* Fact Types

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Johnr65
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Fact Types

Post by Johnr65 »

Is there a way to minimise the 'fact types' to just the normal used ones rather than the whole list of every event except the hidden ones? I only ever seem to use the basic ones like bmd, baptism, burial, divorce, occupation, emigration and military service. Could the rest be hidden to?
:?:
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Fact Types

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

You can mark any fact you want to hide as hidden using Tools > Fact Types and Edit for the relevant fact. You can also add or remove them to/from the Fast-Add Menu, which might be a better option -- customise the Fast-Add menu to just the facts you want.
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

Where is the Fast-Add menu?
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Screenshot 2021-07-22 103622.png
Screenshot 2021-07-22 103622.png (32.05 KiB) Viewed 3020 times
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

Thank you for screenshot but still none the wiser, so did it via Tools, Facts as initially suggested. :P
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

John, the Add Fact button on the Facts tab in the Property Box displays the Fast-Add Menu of facts.
That Fast-Add Menu can be customised to list the facts you use most often so you rarely need to visit the Fact Types dialogue.
To add/remove facts from that menu use Tools > Fact Types... to Edit... facts and tick/untick the Fast-Add Menu setting.

That is probably better than hiding facts, which you may overlook when needing a new type of fact, and end up creating a custom fact unnecessarily.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

Mike, I can't see the Fast-Add Menu, all I can see is Add Fact which when clicked on shows the common facts I set up in the Tools, Fact types, menu as previously mentioned.
:?:
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Johnr65 wrote: 22 Jul 2021 15:13 Mike, I can't see the Fast-Add Menu, all I can see is Add Fact which when clicked on shows the common facts I set up in the Tools, Fact types, menu as previously mentioned.
The list of facts shown IS the Fast-Add menu, as per https://www.family-historian.co.uk/help ... oxfactstab
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

Well I've found the way by hiding the not regularly used facts.
Thank you
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The danger with hiding facts is you may overlook them when needing a new type of fact, and end up creating a custom fact unnecessarily.

That is why we recommend the Fast-Add Menu as a better option.

It is quicker to set up as you only need to Edit the facts you use most often, rather than Edit every fact you need to Hide.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 22 Jul 2021 09:13 You can mark any fact you want to hide as hidden using Tools > Fact Types and Edit for the relevant fact. You can also add or remove them to/from the Fast-Add Menu, which might be a better option -- customise the Fast-Add menu to just the facts you want.
Stupid question - I don't see HOW to add to the Fast Add menu. In Help it says I can do it, but with no explanation of the method for doing so.

Thanks,

Teresa
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Use Tools>Fact Types, select a fact then Edit. In the Fact Definition window at the bottom under Display Settings there are tick boxes for Fast-Add Menu and Hidden.
Lorna