* V5 'upgrade' with V7 FULL licence.

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
djac
Gold
Family Historian: None

V5 'upgrade' with V7 FULL licence.

Post by djac »

I have been using FH for many years (started on V4). I have now decided it is finally time to move from V5 to V7.

BUT... I am going to re-purchase the full licence for V7, rather than upgrade (it's only a few quid difference). I would rather not have to re-install FH from the beginning if I lost my machine for any reason.

Are there likely to be any problems installing V7 over V5 using a full (non-upgrade) licence? Probably a silly question, but then someone did once say "the only stupid question is the one that didn't get asked".
LornaCraig
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: V5 'upgrade' with V7 FULL licence.

Post by LornaCraig »

My understanding is that it's only a difference in the price you pay (full price or a discounted price for existing users) but you get the same V7 installation file.

The installation process has changed with V7 so you set up a Family Historian account and if you ever needed to re-install you would not need your old licence details. See Family Historian Activation

So don't pay the full price if you are eligible for a discount!
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

You have not needed to re-install FH 'from the beginning' for any recent FH versions.
So as Lorna says, if you ever need to install FH from scratch you only need the latest installation file.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
djac
Gold
Family Historian: None

Post by djac »

OK, that's interesting. Thanks all!

Looks like the upgrade path just got a little less rocky.

Well, to be fair that happened a while ago but, as you can tell, it's been a while since I last went through the upgrade process.