* Crossed out media

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
ffinder
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Crossed out media

Post by ffinder »

The message I tried to post yesterday does not appear, so this is an up to date version of my progress. I have now got all 3 of my trees running. I have downloaded files from Ancestry to fill gaps and stored them in the media folders.
This shows that my media folders are in a mess. There are lots of just dated Census returns but without the family name. This applies to BMD records as well. I had assumed the programme did these automatically.
The newly downloaded files do not fill the empty media squares so I suppose they need links.
I would like advice about how to sort things out and behave in future with sources and citations.
Can you also tell me please what I need to check to see if anything in the new projects is missing or wrong or incomplete.
What about saving? I know it keeps updating, but expect I should save them as well.
Many thanks.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

Sorry, but please be a bit more specific about what you are describing. You know but we don't.

Are you saying that the successful downloads from Ancestry are in FTM 17 or in FH Projects?

I'm not sure what you mean by "empty media squares". Are you talking about crossed out links in FH Media?

The questions you are asking at the end need new topic threads to be started for each distinct question.
Otherwise, it gets confusing to discuss different topics in one thread.
e.g.
1) How to manage Source Citations in future.
2) How to determine if anything is missing or wrong or incomplete.
3) How to save and backup Projects.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ffinder
Gold

Post by ffinder »

I have put the Ancestry downloads in the media folders of FTM and of FH.
A Will I downloaded I added to the media in the project in FH and the file in FTM.
The media in both FTM and FH have some crossed spaces above the name of the sort of document and a few empty spaces above a title. Some of these could be filled by items loose in the folders.
Thank you for the advice about separate topics.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I think we would progress faster if you could attach a screenshot of what you are describing, as I just don't recognise your description of "crossed spaces above the name of the sort of document and a few empty spaces above a title" and I don't understand what you mean by "items loose in the folders".

To post a screenshot follow the advice in the Forum Usage Tips under Attachments and Taking Screenshots.
ffinder
Gold

Post by ffinder »

I am attaching 3 shots. Screenshot of Media and Screenshot of Media 2 show media from Media>view all media in the Focus window and have some of the blank or crossed examples.
Screenshot of Media 3 is from the fh_data>Media folder. This shows some of the files which do not appear in the Focus window Media.
The focus window shows family pictures but not certificates, bmd etc. They can be found in the media window but do not show in the facts for the individual.
There are a lot of duplicate files, which I would like to delete some of, but am afraid of deleting them all by mistake.
Having previewed this I can see the Media 3 has a mistake. In the screenshot I selected the Queen's Nurse cert is not a pdf and has a red circle where this shows a pdf logo. I had deleted a pdf version and replaced it with the red circle one.
A mystery.
Attachments
screenshot of Media.png
screenshot of Media.png (282.58 KiB) Viewed 1817 times
screenshot of Media 3.png
screenshot of Media 3.png (84.35 KiB) Viewed 1817 times
screenshot of Media 2.png
screenshot of Media 2.png (67.19 KiB) Viewed 1817 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

So now there are a great many Media in the FH Project.

In the screenshots, the only file that FH cannot find is the one with a square & cross in Media.png:
Mabel's Certificate of Appointment as Queen's Nurse
We can investigate that later.

In the Media Window, to get more details, change the View from Thumbnail to Picture by double-clicking any thumbnail image.
You can then select any Media Record on the left and its details are shown above the full image.
It gives its File: name & type and its Location: in the Media folder as well as its Title, Date, etc.
Select the Links tab and it lists all the records that use the Media record & image.
Double-click any one of those Links and the Property Box will show details of the record that uses the Media.

FH will only display graphic image files. To view others, double-click the icon to open the file in another application.
e.g. The red PDF icon, or the blank rectangle icon, etc.

The Media that show in the Focus Window are attached to the Media tab of Individual records.
They are probably personal photos rather than source documents.

The other Media will be attached to Source Citations which can be viewed via the Individual records Facts tab.
Click the Show Media button in the middle of the toolbar below the list of Facts.
Then select any Fact that has a Media icon in the More column on the right and the Media will be shown.

In your screenshot Media 3.png only the first, second & fourth page images are not shown in the other screenshots.
I'm surprised they are not anywhere in the Media Window, but they can easily be added later when you are more familiar with how FH handles its Media.
ffinder
Gold

Post by ffinder »

Your last post had lots of useful details, which I keep reading.
I have been looking at one individual in one of my trees. I have been investigating the Media window according to your instructions. In this tree the family pictures work well.
In the Media>View all media there are 25 crossed rectangles for Birth, Marriage and Death indexes.
Double clicking on the rectangle produces a lower window with nothing except a File not found.
The upper window does show Links to one individual.
The Media Record just shows, typically, England & Wales, Birth Index 1916-2005. Under that Date: empty, Keywords: Picture. The note area is empty. At the bottom File: File not found - birth index and a number.jpg.
I think the files are there in the Family Historian Projects>person>person fh_data>Media. I have found one of the missing files, but it takes ages.
Is there a way to relink them without first magnifying and finding the relevant names and doing the records one by one? (I do not know how to do that)
The Media in the Focus Window attached to the Media tab of Individual records works in a few places, but fails in others. No images or details. In the one I am looking at only the 1939 report shows.
I tried a few more individuals and found theirs much more reliable.
I hope that will give you a clearer idea of what I need to sort out.
Thanks.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The crossed rectangles means that FH cannot locate the Media file with the Filename and Location in the Media folder.
When you double-click, just above the pane that says 'File not found', it shows the File: name in red and Location.
If you click the red name it offers ways to try and find that 'missing' file.
The automatic searches will only work if there is a file with exactly the same filename somewhere on your PC.

You say you found one of the 'missing' files but was its filename exactly the same as FH is looking for?
If your answer is YES, then the automatic search in Tools > External File Links > Auto Repair Links should find the others.
If your answer is NO, then you will have to manually search for each one.

The Focus Window can only show the Media that is attached to the Individual record Media tab.
If there is no such Media then it cannot show anything.
If the wrong type of Media is attached, such as a 1939 Report, then that will need to be moved, but can wait until your other problems have been resolved.
ffinder
Gold

Post by ffinder »

That has been very useful and given me more confidence.
I clicked on lots of red file names and most have been found with automatic search. I have found a few. Most of the crosses have gone.
I need help with your last paragraph, though.
How do you tell what is the right sort of media and what the wrong?
I have been looking at facts in the Individual record and expecting the details to show when I double clicked on the fact if there is an icon in the right column. It works sometimes, but not always.
Where should a Census or 1939 Report be stored and how can they be seen?
Thank you.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Individual and Family records have a Media tab and that is intended for photographs of those people.
FH will let you attach any Media to those tabs but personal photos work best.
They are shown in the Focus Window and in Diagrams and the top of Reports so images of documents don't look right.

In the Facts tab, double-clicking a Fact with an image icon will not display Media images.
You must simply select the Fact and click the Show Media button in the centre of the toolbar below the list of Facts.
Once that Media for Fact window is displayed, selecting another Fact will display its associated Media images.
Ensure both the Include Source Record Media and Include Citation Media options are ticked.
Those are intended for source document images such as BMD Certificates and Census pages.
They can appear in the Sources section near the bottom of Reports.

Census or 1939 Register pages should be linked to Source Citations which involves a whole new process that is distinct from your original problem of missing Media and needs a new thread with a new question.