* Check for Possible Duplicated Media

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Check for Possible Duplicated Media

Post by tatewise »

Until FH V7.0.4, any GEDCOM imported from RootsMagic, Legacy, etc, would produce multiple duplicate Media records and possibly duplicate Media files. This plugin should cope with those imported Media cases and any others where duplicates arise.
See Import RootsMagic 7 into Family Historian 7 (18386) for the background to this problem.

Attached is a prototype Check for Possible Duplicated Media plugin Version 1.3.3 Date 08 Apr 2021.
In all FH versions, it avoids Lua SQL used in earlier versions by using a simple text file instead. It's probably just as efficient.
( On close inspection, the original plugin never actually used the SQL database anyway due to a small typo :roll: )
It will only merge Media records if identical in all respects, apart from the filename path, which can differ as long as the files themselves are identical.
It does not delete any unlinked duplicate files. Use Check for Unlinked Media to do that for internal Project files.

Perhaps test it on a copy Project initially.
Its effects can be reversed using Edit > Undo Plugin Updates before closing FH or by reverting to a Snapshot.

BTW: I've not yet actually tested it on FH V5/6 as it is primarily needed for FH V7 now.
Last edited by tatewise on 20 Feb 2023 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attachment deleted as better version is attached later.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Check for Possible Duplicated Media

Post by tatewise »

I've made some minor improvements to this plugin and tested it in both FH V6 and FH V7.
It has better messages and the Result Set is sorted into Record Id order

Try attachment Check for Possible Duplicated Media plugin Version 1.3.4 Date 09 Apr 2021.

Is it merging RM and Legacy imported duplicate Media records as expected?
Last edited by tatewise on 24 Nov 2023 17:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attachment deleted as a better version is attachd to thread 'Is there an easier way to use merge'
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Hi Mike
Did you mean 'until 7.0.3'? I can't see 7.0.4 has been released yet.

David
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Mike means until 7.0.4. It isn't on general release yet, but has been made available for testing for people who reported things that it's meant to address, including that enhancement.

We know that 7.0.5 is in the offing so something in 7.0.4 isn't as it should be, however.
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

I see - Thanks Helen.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

This plugin has been downloaded 7 times.
It is only useful for the special case of importing media from another product using an FH version earlier than V7.0.4.
However, there has been no feedback from those 7 users about its effectiveness.
Does this plugin need to be published, or can I delete it as an attachment and forget about it?
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I'm sure you'd have heard if there was a problem with it, Mike! Why not liaise with Jane about the potential overlap with her (published) plugin -- to avoid confusing users of the plugin store -- and then publish it?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that was going to be my next step. I did Email Jane earlier this year on this topic but go no reply.
It is just that there were some fairly vocal users who had already imported a Project, cannot use the FH v7.0.4 update, so were keen on the plugin, but everything has gone quiet.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

It has been less than a week since you posted it, Mike, and I suspect people who aren't us 'have a life'! :D
ian-8864
Silver

Post by ian-8864 »

Hi Mike,

I am one of the people who has downloaded the PlugIn but unfortunately, I have not had time to try it out. I will try to give it a go in the next couple of weeks and provide you with feedback.

Cheers

Ian