* Import RM to do lists?

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Import RM to do lists?

Post by tatewise »

Expanding on the last couple of postings...

The Query posted by Mark shows 'forward' links from Individuals via the Notes tab to the first two Research Notes.
It does not show 'backward' links from Research Notes rich text links to Individuals.
I don't believe those 'backward' links can be shown in the same Query as the 'forward' links.
It would need a Plugin to report both 'forward' and 'backward' links between Individuals and Repositories and their associated Research Notes.

DJY asks:
"Is there a way to see who the linked person is when I run the repository report? I don't know if this is a query thing or whether it's a simple addition to the plugin to add an extra line of text in the research note with the linked person's name for a printout."
Yes, the latter is certainly possible. Both the Individual and the Repository could be included in the Research Note as Who and Where items and be active links to those records. I can provide the Lua Plugin script to do that if it is of interest.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

The bigger prize would be links that could be applied to Research Notes in general rather than a simple one-off link as these notes are imported from the GEDCOM.

So all Research Notes could have lines like

Linked Individual = ....
Linked Individual = ...
Linked Family = ...
Linked Repository = ...

It wouldn't be possible for a plugin to keep these updated completely automatically as links are created, but it could add and update them as necessary.

I think that could be a very useful tool, and of sufficient general applicability to warrant including in the Plugin Store. Worth investigating in more detail?
Last edited by Mark1834 on 03 Apr 2021 10:46, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Draper
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Research Planner already does something similar in Note Records being used as tasks -- includes Labelled text such as:

Individual: Anthony Edward Munro

It will be easy enough when I update it for V7 to make the individuals name a link.
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

It sounds like there could be a huge overlap between Research Notes and the Research Planner, so should it be the aim to consolidate these, so Research Planner becomes a way of adding additional functionality to Research Notes, rather than a confusing rival approach?
Mark Draper
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Mark,

There is a huge overlap -- RP filled a hole in V6 and earlier which CP have started to fill with Research Notes.

I'd initially intended not to update RP for V7, just to provide a migration route to convert existing tasks created by FP into Research Notes (which I assumed would replace RP completely). However, some of this discussion is convincing me that there is still a use for RP so my current thinking is to update it and add additional functionality to make Research Notes more useful.

I may leave RP2 frozen for versions FH6 and below, and create a distinct version for FH7. It will simplify the coding while letting me take advantage of new features in FH7. I will still support using Shared Notes and Tasks as an alternative to Research Notes as they each have distinct advantages (see https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/resea ... heading-16 to which I will add portability considerations when Research Notes becomes an option.
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Makes sense - forget about my suggestion of a generalised plugin then. I think an updated RP will be far better.
Mark Draper
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Mark, it would be useful to hear any other suggestions you have for functionality?
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

It sounds like a quick fix for this importer is worth it then. Display the linked Individuals, Families or Repositories in the Research Note, as an active link for FH7, or plain text in the FH6 option. Any other tweaks? I’ve set it up to import all RM fields, but is it neater to omit empty ones? They can always be added to individual entries later.

Once we agree the scope and who’s doing it, it will be a simple amendment.
Mark Draper
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I think we need to agree if the default for links are all in the text or are 'standard' links. Standard links export readily; links in the text do not. Don't forget Media Source and Place links.

I wouldn't omit empty fields with a label as they may get completed 'later on'.
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

I was thinking more of a pragmatic fix during import to make the printed reports more complete. It could be that just a note of the named individual, family or repository is enough and we don’t compromise compatibility with anything fancier. RM7 has only limited linking options for its To-Do list (unlike RM8). Let’s await feedback from the OP (and anyone else) how they anticipate using the imported notes in practice.
Mark Draper
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Media links are important -- for example, using a spreadsheet to track progress on a complex task. Likewise Source links allow querying on tasks to be carried out relating to a particular source. And Place links cater for people doing one place studies. (These may not be relevant to RM migrants, but it is to existing users of RP).

it's also the case that some people prefer the 'traditional links' to sources, repositories etc. so RP needs to care for both. (It will make the constructing the customised queries interesting).
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Fully agree - that’s why I’m leaning towards just a dumb name now (similar to what RM users have already, as per the screen dump). We save the more sophisticated linking for RP2, where it is useful for everybody.
Mark Draper
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Mark RP doesn't operate on existing tasks. It creates them and also creates customised queries, but it won't touch anything imported. Once created all editing is up to the user. So you might want to consider some options for Linkin when importing.
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

On the basis that a picture is worth a thousand words, I have manually added the links to an example from the test database. This is what it looks like on screen, where the underlined blue are dynamic links to the individual and repository records. If we implement just as dumb text, it will be the same text without the hyperlink.

To try it out for yourself, double click on the Research Note text to open it in the Rich Text Editor, and right click to add a link. Whichever way we do it, it is a straightforward addition.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (12.29 KiB) Viewed 4547 times
Mark Draper
DJY
Platinum

Post by DJY »

Mark, I think that would work for my purposes. I'll leave it to others to comment on the wider utility.

Again, I really appreciate you working on this!
cwhermann
Famous

Post by cwhermann »

Mark,
Works for me. I was prepared to go through the list to add the links. Was not a huge project foe me because my task titles included the individual so I can see who it is linked to without opening the note/ task, but if the plug-in can do it, even better.
Curtis Hermann
FH 7.0.15
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Version 4 attached, with simple text descriptions of the linked Individual or Family and Repository, as per the screenshot below.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (24.49 KiB) Viewed 4465 times
The only potential wrinkle I have noticed is that if the Task in RM in linked to an Address rather than a Repository, RM exports the link but not the address details, even if all the export options are selected. This results in a blank link for the Repository. I have left this in as a visual prompt that there are data missing, so you should check the original copy in RM and recreate the Repository details if required.

I will add a link to this thread on the importing from RM section in the KB to make new users aware that they can save their To-Do list if required.
Attachments
Import RootsMagic 7 ToDo List.fh_lua
(7.69 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
Mark Draper
cwhermann
Famous

Post by cwhermann »

Thanks for all your effort on this Mark.
Curtis Hermann
FH 7.0.15
DJY
Platinum

Post by DJY »

Mark, this is wonderful! Thank you so very much.