* FH v7 and windows emulators WARNING

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Valkrider
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

FH v7 and windows emulators WARNING

Post by Valkrider »

To any Mac / Linux users of FH due to the new functionality in FH v7 some of that functionality is not available in the emulators such as PlayOnMac / PlayOnLinux, Crossover and Wine. It is, however, fully functional in a VM.
Bundle
Platinum

Re: FH v7 and emulators WARNING

Post by Bundle »

I've just installed F7 in Crossover. It is frustrating that the reports I've so far looked at just present as black sheets. There is a warning about this on the knowledge base - things to be aware of before installing. I would use Individual Summary Reports extensively so hope this is something that may get fixed soon. It was a challenge enough for me to get to grips with Crossover - I have not tried a virtual machine.... yet. But it is great that this new version is finally here for everyone.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

If you save the report as RTF you can then view and edit it in Word / Pages etc.
Bundle
Platinum

Post by Bundle »

Thank you Colin
Bundle
Platinum

Post by Bundle »

A couple of issues found when using Crossover (v19.0.2).

Tables in Notes are not working. Inserting a table produces a tiny grid and typing just overwrites in same cell and then cursor leaves table entirely.

Sources - Citation Data Entry: Text typed into blank fields just completely overwrites the field names.

Both issues reported to Calico Pie who have logged issue - to be looked at by Codeweavers.
Attachments
Lytton_1.jpg
Lytton_1.jpg (132.92 KiB) Viewed 17272 times
Bundle
Platinum

Re: FH v7 and windows emulators WARNING

Post by Bundle »

Reported to Calico Pie today, further issue running under Crossover 20.0.2 (also same with v 19) using Mac OS Catalina:

Choosing any source template instantly makes FH7 crash. Have to use Force Quit to exit completely.
The first tab of a source/citation entry screen is always fine. Data goes where it should.
It is the second tab, TEXT FROM SOURCE, that seems to have most issues.
Now find that selecting ANY of the following templates makes FH7 crash:
Censuses UK, USA and Canada
Marriage Certificate generic template
The only template that does not cause a crash on opening is Baptism Generic. But, that has issues of data you type overwriting the field names, as previously reported.

Good news is that the EMPTY TEXT option does let you type data without problem and can add formatting e.g. bold, italic, bullets etc. As reported before though, tables do not work.

CP say Codeweavers will be working on issues now FH7 is released.

I do like what I see, I think the templates and source screens will be very helpful.
To have the new formatting options for notes etc is great.
Especially like seeing the footnote, bibliography screens being populated as you type the source data.
KMTV
Gold

Post by KMTV »

My father has been trying to run FH v7 on his iMac via Parallels, but is experiencing the screen to be flickering when trying to load content. Could this be a related problem or something entirely different?
N.B. I'm not actually a user of any kind of genealogical software!
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

That is likely to be something different. Parallels is not an emulator but a Virtual Machine as you need a full copy of Windows. It soulds like a video driver problem with Parallels.
GeoffR

Post by GeoffR »

I'm using FH.7.02 via Crossover/Wine on MBP16 running BigSur 11.2.2 and really enjoying the experience, especially being able to move around a diagram with the touchpad (I don't use a mouse).

This thread was a great relief to find out that other users were having a few similar problems.

One of mine is the where the Notes Records are not showing correctly.

I really hope that CP and Crossover can resolve these niggles soon!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 12.39.04.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 12.39.04.jpg (250.12 KiB) Viewed 15070 times
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

GeoffR,

That display looks as if you are starting your Notes with a Blank first line (Carriage Return). You would get something very similar in Windows 'proper', minus the 'square box' which is a non-printing Carriage Return character that appears under Crossover/Wine and IME was (is) the same in FH6 and earlier.

The only test formatting features that I've found definitely don't work under Crossover/Wine are Tables which are a complete disaster. So, it appears there is something in the RTF Table implementation that Crossover/Wine can't cope with.

Mervyn
GeoffR

Post by GeoffR »

Mervyn,

Thank you so much. There was indeed a hidden carriage return character at the start of each line (presumably inserted by Crossover when I imported the GED file from FH6 on Windows 10). I simply placed my cursor at the beginning of the first line, hit carriage return on the key board, and then two backspace-delete and hey presto, the text appeared as it should do.

You have been very helpful, thanks again.

Geoff
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

Geoff,

Glad you got it sorted.

Mervyn
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

With the release of v7.0.3 of Family Historian the major issue with running FH on Crossover has been resolved in that reports now display correctly on the screen. I have successfully installed it on a Mac running Mojave and Crossover V20.04 in a 64bit Windows 7 bottle. I have yet to confirm that AS runs in the same bottle.

The same good news does not apply to PlayOnMac though as the installation locks up when installing the Nova PDF driver and a useable bottle is not created. I have raised this as an issue with CP and also created a wish list item to make the driver installation optional as it is not needed by Windows 10 users now or Mac users.
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

Colin,

It seems to be working for me having FH and AS in the same Prefix (Bottle), but I wouldn't say I've tested all AS features extensively as I tend to do most of my Sourcing work in a Windows System/Windows Virtual Machine. Most Rich Text features work under Crossover/Wine with the notable exception of 'Tables', but Tables in AS do seem to 'partially' work under Wine on Linux, i.e. in my attempt so far, data can be entered and appear correctly, but the Table Formats/Structures can't be edited. There is clearly something 'different' in the way Tables have been implemented in FH7 as I tried using Tables in two RTF Word Processors in Crossover & Wine and they can be managed without any problem.

I'm thinking of experimentally installing FH7 in Linux/Wine for testing as I do have a 'spare' License but haven't haven't taken the plunge so far as there are simply 'too many options', i.e. Linux/Wine variants to choose from.

Mervyn
Bundle
Platinum

Post by Bundle »

After several months away, I thought I'd see if my previous issues had been fixed running under Crossover. They have not. Anything with tables is hopeless, with text in second/third etc columns overwriting on first column as reported previously. This also affects using the Research Log, a feature I had been looking forward to. I have the latest updates of both Crossover and FH7.
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

I can confirm your issues with Tables when using Crossover, but having tried various experiments I think the issue may well be that Wine can't (currently) cope with the way Tables have been implemented in Family Historian (also Ancestral Sources), or there might be some obscure Windows dependency that needs to be installed that is not present in a standard Wine installation.

I have also tried running Family Historian with a native installation of Wine in Linux (various Versions of Wine from 5.03 thorough to 6.8) and can get a slightly better result, but not perfect, i.e. Tables are presented 'correctly' on screen with text appearing in the individual table cells; and the text can also be edited, but the Table structure cannot be edited in any way, that is columns/lines can't be resized and it is not possible to add/remove columns or lines; and nor is it possible to move rows within Tables.

However, Tables in several Windows Word Processors which I have tried in Crossover/Wine work fully without any problems, which is why I suspect it may be a Windows feature/dependency that the Family Historian Tables (& Ancestral Sources) function is reliant on that is not yet fully/reliably implemented in Wine. Also, it does not appear to be possible to copy & paste a table from a Word Processor document (RTF File) into Family Historian which also suggests to me that there some differences between the methods of Table implementation.

Mervyn
Bundle
Platinum

Post by Bundle »

Thanks Mervyn.
Calico Pie were right when they told me not to expect a fix this side of Christmas! That was last December.
I regret upgrading. I hope they eventually find a fix.
joe81au
Platinum

Post by joe81au »

Any experiences with Crossover V 21? Is there any substantial improvement? I only have V20 but will upgrade if there are many benefits.
Joe Carter
Aiken, South Carolina, USA
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Rich Text is handled slightly better. In-built to FH web browser (Edge) still not working. Worth upgrading imho.