* New computer

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
gwilym'smum
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

New computer

Post by gwilym'smum »

Hi
On Wednesday I am having a new computer. I have a lovely young man who changes everything over for me. As he is doing this I was thinking that I would upgrade to version 7. I have my key to v6. My question is:- is it a good idea to install v7 on my old computer and then have it transferred to the new one or should I have a "belt and braces approach" with v6 on this computer and v7 on the new? If I keep v6 on this and v7 on the new one would v6 have to be installed on the new one first?
Your advice would be appreciated please
Ann
Stay safe
Researching Mayer, Parr/Parr, Simcock, Beech and all related families
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: New computer

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Ann,

Make sure your lovely young man reads Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide (the advice in there applies to V7 as well).

It's not a good idea to run V6 one one PC and V7 on another if you're intending to work on the same projects on both PCs. (Put more bluntly don't do this.)

If I were you, I'd migrate V6 to the new PC and check that all your settings, customisations, data etc. have come across unchanged; and then upgrade to V7. There are a lot of new features in V7 and you'll want to be sure you've got a sound foundation before upgrading.

Does that make sense -- ask if you need more advice.
AdrianBruce
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by AdrianBruce »

I'd agree with Helen - though since I'm not on v7, I'm not talking from personal experience. But if you are on any sort of a deadline, you do not want to be rushing into v7 just to meet that arbitrary deadline. You'll probably have enough to do with moving v6 (that you know) over.
Adrian
gwilym'smum
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by gwilym'smum »

Thank you Adrian. I think that I will take your advice and not upgrade yet as I will probably, (knowing me!) have enough getting to grips with a new machine. I only thought about it as Matthew always does my upgrades and so I usually don't have any problems. I printed all the instructions off several versions ago and he has the file.
Thank you both for your advice.
Ann
Researching Mayer, Parr/Parr, Simcock, Beech and all related families