* Dialogue box stopping update

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
mitcheip
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Dialogue box stopping update

Post by mitcheip »

hi,

I am going through my whole FH database updating the old imported TMG data using AS. On occasions I inadvertently leave a dialogue box open in FH, complete the data entry AS but then when I go to FH it gives an error with a message that says, "load the file manually". As expected, the data doesn't get loaded into FH even once the dialogue is closed.

At the moment I am just retyping the data in AS, is there another way to recover from this situation?
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Dialogue box stopping update

Post by tatewise »

May I politely suggest you get into the habit of using the Ancestral Sources Data Entry plugin to launch AS.
Not only does it ensure the correct Project is used and the current Individual is preselected, but it cannot be used with other modal dialogues open.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

When the dialog is closed you then need to do what the message said and reload the project in FH. e.g. go to File->Project Window... and open your project again. Or run the plugin as Mike suggests.

Personally I don't use the plugin, but I do make sure I've clicked save in FH before adding any entries in AS.

Best wishes

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
mitcheip
Diamond

Post by mitcheip »

Thanks Nick,

I will give it a go next time I forget to close a dialogue, (which I surely will....)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I forgot to say that the Plugin also ensures the Project is Saved before invoking AS.
So running the Plugin is a win, win, win scenario.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

It's definitely the safest bet to use the plugin.

The reasons I don't personally use it is because it doesn't run for me because it finds the multiple version of AS that I have on my PC and refuses to run (perhaps if it finds the version in program files it could assume that's the one to run Mike?) and also as I'm constantly swapping between AS and FH, its quicker to click save and then switch to AS rather than having AS close and reload each time and 3 mouse clicks to run it from the plugin.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
ChrisRead
Famous

Post by ChrisRead »

I don't use the plug-in although I have it installed, for similar reasons to Nick, I find it quicker to click save in FH and then launch AS from a W10 taskbar icon with a second click. I was ages ago caught by the modal dialog, but knew why and it was my fault.

I mostly remember to close out of floating FH dialogs (property dialog usually), but know it's not an issue as, as soon as I've saved in AS, and click in FH, it'll prompt to reload and close the dialog. I sometimes catch myself out when I update a research note in which I keep a Parish Record index (for Norfolk) while using AS. If I forget to save in FH then I end up loosing the update, when I save in AS. However I've found AS to be pretty good at reloading if I remember to actually save it in FH (rather than just OKing the record update, Doh!).

The plug-in is probably the safest way to work, but if you learn to be consistent and aware, doing it 'manually' works just as well. Between FH & AS, they play remarkably well together, just be methodical is the key.
Chris Read
Family Historian and Ancestral Sources user.

Researching the READ family and the myriad other relations that turned up.