* Uninstall Version 7 and revert to Version 6

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
goodwin2
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Uninstall Version 7 and revert to Version 6

Post by goodwin2 »

I'm sad to say that while I was looking forward to the new Version 7, purchased and installed it but now find that it really doesn't fit the way I prefer to add sources, notes, etc.

So my question is how do I uninstall it and get back to the last Version 6 without losing the data that I have entered with Version 7?

I hope this will be EASILY accomplished. Have been using FH since version 3 want to continue.

Thanks for any help.
GSB
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Uninstall Version 7 and revert to Version 6

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

I have continued to work with FH7 almost exactly the way I did with FH6. I am not touching templated sources. So it may be worth persevering
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As John says, what is preventing you from working the way you did before?
Generic sources, citations & notes work essentially the same as they did in FH V6.
Also, there are many other enhancements in FH V7 that are worth having.

However, if convinced you wish to revert, what backups have you got for FH V6?

Have you a Full Project Backup ZIP file for every Project taken just before you upgraded to FH V7?

Have you a backup of all your custom settings & preferences taken just before you upgraded to FH V7?
i.e. Did you use the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings plugin?

Have you got your FH V6 installation media (download or CD) with its licence key?
If that was an upgrade from FH V5 then you will also need the FH V5 licence key.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

I concur with John on this - I too have carried on working in much the same way as before I upgraded to V7. I will, in time, start looking at some of changes / "improvements", but for now things like Source Templates are of no interest to me as I input my BBMDB and Census stuff through Ancestral Sources and this allows me to keep consistent capture. For anything else I just copy / paste - this has worked for me for years and I see, so far, no real reason to change that approach.

I suspect though that you will have trouble if you want move back to V6 with stuff you have entered through V7 - as Mike says, you can get back to your "old" V6 Gedcom and setting assuming you have the relevant backups, but as I understand it V7 has changes to the baseline Gedcom and I doubt these would be backwardly compatible.
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Export Gedcom File plugin does a good job of converting a Project back to an FH V6 compatible GEDCOM.
But that will not restore your FH V6 settings & customisations, etc.
dewilkinson
Superstar

Post by dewilkinson »

As others have said you can carry on working just as before, as I have done. The only real difference is the floating Citation window which annoys me, but I just have it on the right hand side so it is equivalent to how it was. I would advise persevering with FH7 as the extra bits such as spell checking of notes are advantageous. Things like templated citations can remain unused unless you really want to start using them (I don't).
David Wilkinson researching Bowtle, Butcher, Edwards, Gillingham, Overett, Ransome, Simpson, and Wilkinson in East Anglia

Deterioration is contagious, and places are destroyed or renovated by the spirit of the people who go to them
goodwin2
Famous

Post by goodwin2 »

Mike, I was encouraged to see the Export Gedcom File plug in does a good job of converting back to V6. I didn't do any custom settings that I recall - have had V6 for quite some time - so that should not be an issue for me.

I am frankly petrified to do this uninstall as I have 20 years of research and over 67,000 in the database along with a large number of media items.

While I do a backup every time I exit FH, I usually do a small one. As I review my backups the most recent (min) backup of FH6 was late Nov. and I installed V7 on Jan. 11.

If I do the following in the order described, will I get back to where I was before the installation of V7?

Uninstall V7
Reinstall V6 - I have the disc and everything needed to do so
Open FH V6
Go to the latest backup of V6 and activate it - zip file and any extra required?

What then should I expect to see?

Please keep the instructions simple so I can be sure I will be doing the right thing and not make a major mistake.

Thanks for your help.
GSB
GSB
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

A crucial consideration is backups of your Media files.
Since you only create FH Small Backups (GEDCOM file only) those ZIP files will NOT include any Media files.

Also, there is a big gap between Nov 2020 and now, so if you have updated your Project between Nov 2020 and now, there is no FH V6 backup of that new data and no backup of any new Media files added in those months. That worries me!

I was going to suggest that you delete your Project(s) before uninstalling FH V7.
BUT that would delete all your Media files which would be a disaster if you don't have Media backups.
The reason for suggesting that deletion is to remove the FH V7 GEDCOM files that will confuse FH V6.

So we need to agree on a strategy for retaining Media files but reverting to an FH V6 GEDCOM without losing data.
I am nervous about such a process with no FH V6 Full Project Backups taken in Jan 2021.

To install FH V6 you will need the FH V6 installation CD, and its licence key, and the FH V5 licence key.
( I am assuming you upgraded from FH V5 to FH V6 with a discounted upgrade licence. )
goodwin2
Famous

Post by goodwin2 »

This is where I am with setting up to uninstall V7 and reinstall V6.

In rechecking my backup files, I did not do any research work from my last small V6 backup on Dec. 22 until my install of V7 on Jan 11th. After Jan 11 there were only 5 backups in V7 - and I don't believe too much was added to the database during that time.

I now have 3 full copies of my Media files; one in a separate folder on my hard drive, one in my Seagate backup device and one on a thumb drive.

As I have full copies of both V5 and V6, it would suggest that I really don't need to use the V5 - is that the case?

I don't currently have the plugin Export Gedcom File - how and when would that work with deleting VH and reinstalling V6?

I'm definitely not doing any more with this effort before I get your feedback and further suggestions so everything will remain in its current status.

Thanks again for your help. I do want to try to resolve this fairly soon but there are other things that seem to get in the way of normal daily activity so I'm not getting as much done as I would like.

GSB
GSB
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ok, so let's use a belt and braces approach.
We'll create an FH V6 compatible GEDCOM from your FH V7 Project and use that to revert your Project.
If that is unsuccessful then there is your Dec 22 Backup and your Media files backups we can use.

In these steps, I assume you are familiar with the FH Project folder structure and how to open C:\ProgramData\ folder.
  1. In your master Project, install and run the Export Gedcom File plugin in export mode: (FH6) Family Historian V6.2
    That will create a ...\Public\Export\<your project> FH6 UTF8.ged GEDCOM file.
  2. Uninstall FH V7.0 and delete the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian customisations folder.
    This will delete all settings for Diagrams, Reports, Queries, Plugins, Fact Sets, Property Box tabs, etc, etc...
    If you are unsure what that will destroy then create a backup copy of that folder before deletion.
  3. Copy the ...\Public\Export\<your project> FH6 UTF8.ged to replace the project .fh_data GEDCOM file.
    It will need renaming to remove the FH6 UTF8 part of the filename.
  4. Install FH V6 from CD using its licence key, and update to V6.2.7 from the FH website Download Archive.
  5. Run FH V6 and in the File > Project Window use More Tasks > Samples > Reset Sample Project.
    That will reset the Family Historian Sample Project which should open OK.
  6. Now in the File > Project Window your master Project can be set as Default and should open successfully.
If the above is unsuccessful then we can use your backups...
goodwin2
Famous

Post by goodwin2 »

Thanks again for the list of actions I need to take. I'm going to be doing the project very slowly - sorry to be such a slow learner and not wanting to take on the whole thing in one sitting.

I've added the Export Gedcom file plugin in my FH V7. Will be checking through the list you outlined - a copy of it is on my desktop - and working on the next steps within the next few days. I'll likely be back to this topic - hopefully with a note that I've made it to V6 reinstalled and everything back to the original.

Hope all the FHUG folks are staying safe.
My best to all.

GSB
GSB
RJDoggett
Gold

Post by RJDoggett »

I am another who updated to V7 but reverted to V6; in my case it was because of the changes to the Outline Descendant report.

I would like to use V7 as my primary version and export the information to V6 when I need the Outline Descendant report.

Is it possible to have V6 and V7 installed on the same computer and operate them independently? When installing V7, there was no option, that I saw, to allow a completely new installation.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

RJDoggett wrote: 25 Feb 2021 04:40 Is it possible to have V6 and V7 installed on the same computer and operate them independently? When installing V7, there was no option, that I saw, to allow a completely new installation.
Not easily -- you either need to install one of them within a Virtual Machine, or on a separate PC.
goodwin2
Famous

Post by goodwin2 »

Am trying to get back to the project of uninstalling V7 and reinstalling V6. Other stuff gets in the way sometimes. Am hoping to get this done soon as I am not doing any research at the moment as I'm assuming nothing currently done in V7 would survive the transfer.

I have the steps that Mike suggested and am now reviewing them. I did install the Export Gedcom file - then got a pop up indicating there is a new version of the plugin 4.4. When I clicked on that new version it has so many options that I would not be able to figure out what was needed to get where I want to be. I did see that there was a choice of gedcom release 5.5 or gedcom release 5.5.1.

Also as suggested previously "In these steps, I assume you are familiar with the FH Project folder structure and how to open C:\ProgramData\ folder." that was in the list of steps needed - I don't have a structure like that on my computer. Translated for me: C drive, Documents, Family Historian Projects which then opens the project file. Past that, the further steps that were outlined after the export is done seems to indicate a file structure that I don't find on my computer.

Bottom line is now I am concerned and confused enough that I won't be taking any more steps right now. Hope there is a way to clarify these steps or to use a different method to do the conversion.

Thanks in advance for your help - sorry to be so technically challenged.

GSB
GSB
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

This is a repeat of the steps I posted last month with some extra explanation.
If I knew the name of your Project I could provide even more precise instructions.
If any of the steps are still unclear then please ask for advice.
  1. In your master Project, install and run the Export Gedcom File plugin.
    ( I don't understand your comment about so many options as they have not significantly changed for many years. )
    Anyway, the default options will work just fine for the purposes of this exercise.
    In the GEDCOM Export Mode droplist top right choose (FH6) Family Historian V6.2 (NOT GEDCOM Release)
    The objective is to create an FH V6.2 compatible GEDCOM file including all your current Project data.
    Then click the Click here to export GEDCOM & Media files in chosen format... button.
    That will create a ...\Public\Export\<your project> FH6 UTF8.ged GEDCOM file in the folder listed above the button.
  2. Uninstall FH V7.0 via Start > Settings > Apps > Apps & features select FH and choose Uninstall option.
  3. Delete the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian customisations folder.
    See FHUG Knowledge Base Family Historian Program Data Folder advice on how to reveal that hidden folder.
    That will delete all settings for Diagrams, Reports, Queries, Plugins, Fact Sets, Property Box tabs, etc, etc...
    If you are unsure what that will destroy then create a backup copy of that folder before deletion.
  4. Copy the ...\Public\Export\<your project> FH6 UTF8.ged to replace the project .fh_data GEDCOM file.
    It will need renaming to remove the FH6 UTF8 part of the filename.
  5. Install FH V6 from CD using its licence key, and update to V6.2.7 from the FH website Download Archive.
  6. Run FH V6 and in the File > Project Window use More Tasks > Samples > Reset Sample Project.
    That will reset the Family Historian Sample Project which should open OK.
  7. Now in the File > Project Window your master Project can be set as Default and should open successfully.
Are you happy about the last few steps for installing and running FH V6.2?
goodwin2
Famous

Post by goodwin2 »

Hi Mike,

Thanks again for your help. I hope I can put a screen shot here so you will see what I get when I start the export plug in.
Screenshot (34).jpg
Screenshot (34).jpg (268.84 KiB) Viewed 6854 times
I believe the above will show you what I see.

I'll wait for your comments on that before I proceed. Sorry this is taking so long and so much time.

GSB
GSB
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry, I don't understand the problem and you've provided no explanation so I can only repeat what I said before.

In the GEDCOM Export Mode: droplist top right choose (FH6) Family Historian V6.2
The objective is to create an FH V6.2 compatible GEDCOM file including all your current Project data.
Then click the Click here to export GEDCOM & Media files in chosen format... button.

What is it that is unclear with those instructions?
goodwin2
Famous

Post by goodwin2 »

I understand your point but as you can see in my screen shot there is no " top right choose (FH6) Family Historian V6.2"

There is a reference re the project itself and the destination for the export as you also see in the screen shot highlighted below the area of selections.

I must be missing something here - I've activated the plug in a number of times, said yes to the latest version - and then got what is on the screen shot.

Sorry to be so dumb.

GSB
GSB
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

GSB,

The value for the GEDCOM Export Mode is a drop down list (note the little down arrow on the right).

Just click on the current value and the list of possible values will drop down in a list and you can select the one for FH6.

Bill
Bill Henshaw
goodwin2
Famous

Post by goodwin2 »

Thanks so much - I FINALLY realized that I was pausing at the gedcom structure selection and not pulling down further to get to the V6.2 selection. Guess I win the DUMBO award for this week and quite some time beyond.

Now I can further follow Mike's instructions and hope to be able to send a note that says Project Completed - back to V.6.2

Thanks again.
GSB
GSB
goodwin2
Famous

Post by goodwin2 »

Glad to be back with an update.

I successfully uninstalled V7 and reinstalled V6, was able to get the upgrade to V6.2.7. The program opened and already had the data that I had put into V7 for the short time I used it. Much, but not all, of the Media is also there but that is something that I will have to go through. Fortunately I made a number of copies of the Media file so filling in any that are not already in the current copy can be done as I go along.

Oh, and the sample project was also there so I didn't have to do anything about it.

Thanks to all who made comments and suggestions and most of all a BIG THANKS to Mike for his excellent, step by step, instructions and his patience with this dummy. Truly, I could NOT have done it without his help. Saved 20 years of work and a really big database. Hope my descendants will appreciate the information.

Best to all,
GSB
GSB
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I'm glad we got to a successful conclusion.
It does at least prove the process works if somebody needs to revert to FH V6.

Even though the Family Historian Sample Project is listed it will probably be the FH V7 variant.
So if there are any problems with it, in File > Project Window use More Tasks > Samples > Reset Sample Project.
goodwin2
Famous

Post by goodwin2 »

Am now back at work with V6.2.7 and have made the small changes needed that didn't happen just with the reinstall. I looked into the Sample Project and it seems to be fine.
I will keep the V7 version available to me. Wish I had been able to see more clearly the major changes when it was first introduced so I would have been better able to decide if it was right for me. I don't think the visual displays were that descriptive of the additions. Have used FH since V3 and hadn't had any problems with updating previously.

Again, many thanks. I do visit here regularly to see what is being discussed. Always possible to find a good suggestion from this group.

Best to all.

GSB
GSB