* Editing “Generic” Footnotes (by Source)

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
rob p
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Editing “Generic” Footnotes (by Source)

Post by rob p »

This is somewhat an extension of several earlier threads, but those discussions went elsewhere, so I start a new question…

As an “importee” with years of composed data, all of my Sources are ‘generic sources’. Even the very few ‘templated’ sources I had before import to FH came over as generic.
That’s fine with me; it works well. Over the years, I had developed self-imposed data entry rules, and all Sources of a given type were created consistently, making the best use of the available fields that I can. And all Citations of a given Source are entered (mostly) consistently. (btw, I’m a ‘lumper’.)
I have no real need or desire to use Source Templates.

But… there are a few cases (by Source) where I want/need to customize the Footnote(s)/Biblio sentences for different “Author”, “Title” or “Publication info” format, or to include some other or different citation-specific data - as opposed to the generic footnote (which works well for the vast majority of my sources).
[Back Story: In my previous life (FTM), I was able to do this on a by-citation basis. FTM exported these as “_FOOT” tags. The FH import process moved/appended these to Local Notes – where they served no use. I went back to the FTM GEDCOM and deleted them before re-importing.]

My best (or only?) idea of how to do this, would be to create a Custom Source Template (which would be a copy/clone of the generic), and edit its Footnote sentences. And then (somehow?) apply that to the source of interest.
But how would I do that?
In Tools>Source Template Definitions the “generic” isn’t there, so how would I clone it? Otherwise, would I just create a new one, or clone & modify the closest thing (? Essentials, Book)? I assume it would have to have the same data fields as the Generic.
Could I then create a “new” Source using this custom template and Merge the “original” Source to move all the Citations? Or just Source Records>right click Source>Add Template? Would they pick up the “new” footnote?
Or would this really require a plugin?

I should probably just try this in a test database, but I hope the smart ones here might better guide me (or warn me).

- rob
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Editing “Generic” Footnotes (by Source)

Post by tatewise »

This is somewhat similar to the discussion thread Source and Citation Sentence Editing (18938).
You are essentially correct. Create a Source Template whose Formats (sentences) are similar to those in the Tools > Preferences > Sources > Generic Source Formats... and link that Source Template to your existing generic Source record.
That is then effectively a hybrid templated generic Source record.
It has a linked Source Template but all the fields are generic Source and Citation fields.

I suggest you create those Source Templates in a Custom or Generic Collection.
You would copy & paste the Formats (sentences) from the Generic Source Formats... for each of the three Footnote, Short Footnote and Bibliography cases into the Source Template and then edit them as required.
Finally, as you suggested, right-click the Source and Add Template to link the Source Template to it.

The Formats (what you call sentences) will apply to all Citations linked to the Source record linked to the Source Template that defines the Formats. It is that chain link that causes those Formats to be applied to those Citations and Source record.

The Tools > Preferences > Sources > Generic Source Formats... will not apply as they are now templated Source Citations.

However, the Formats only involve generic fields, not metafields. So in that respect, they are still generic Source Citations.
i.e. They are a hybrid.

BTW: The term 'Format' is used here rather than 'sentence' to avoid any confusion with Fact 'Sentence Templates'.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
rob p
Gold

Post by rob p »

Thanks!
That worked exactly as I hoped.
This is a great, simple 'trick' for Lumpers and Generic-Sourcers.

And, besides all things FH, I'm slowly learning the correct terminology for the pieces.

- rob
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That simple 'trick' works just as well for Splitters with Generic Sources, but will a little longer to add the Source Templates to each of the Source records. However, a very simple Plugin could automate that process. For example if the Source Template 'Name' is the same as the Source record 'Type' then it is easy for the Plugin to link the appropriate template.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry