* New Research Note Question

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Kris-621
Silver
Family Historian: V7

New Research Note Question

Post by Kris-621 »

Hi, I am hoping someone can help, I have just upgraded to FH7 from FH6 and am currently exploring the new features, I cannot use the paste command in the new research notes only the unformatted option, also I can only create a table with very small boxes and the modify table on the cog is always dimmed, whether curser is in or out of the table. I am using Windows 7. Thanks.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: New Research Note Question

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Kris.

I am sorry nobody has answered your questions sooner, but not many of us use Windows 7.

There have been suggestions in other threads that Windows 7 does not fully support all of the 'rich text' features such as formatted text and tables. That is a Microsoft problem that Calico Pie cannot fix.

What is the reason you have chosen not to upgrade to Windows 10?
Don't say cost because it is still free to upgrade from Windows 7 and we can explain how.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

It would be worth checking that you have no outstanding Windows 7 updates to apply, and likewise for printer drivers (if there are device-specific drivers available to you, you should use those rather than generic windows drivers.
Kris-621
Silver

Post by Kris-621 »

Hi, Thank you for your response, I have already contacted Family Historian Support, as I suspected that no one else had the same problem, (there was no response) they contacted me today and advised that Windows 7 may be the problem. I had checked that it was ok before downloading and Windows 7 was included. I prefer it to Window 10. Looks like I am stuck, and cannot use the formatting.
I am not very technical when it comes to computers and just stuck to what I had that works. May well have to bite the bullet and come up to date and buy a new one. This is also the first time I have used or posted on a forum.

Thanks again
Kris
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

What is your experience of Windows 10 that leads you to prefer Windows 7?
Windows 10 is not that much different to Windows 7 and as I said is completely free to install on your PC.
I hope you know that Microsoft has stopped supporting Windows 7 with updates including security fixes.
So you need to have some anti-virus protection installed or you will become increasingly vulnerable to attack.
Windows 10 security protection is built-in, robust, and free.

However, if you think the Windows 10 upgrade process is too daunting then a new PC is the only answer.
Kris-621
Silver

Post by Kris-621 »

I think I have just stuck with it as I know how to use Windows 7 and preferred it, I did try to install Windows 10 on my laptop once but it would not install, and have never bothered since, and have seen (Win 10) on my son’s laptop, and did not like the look of all the apps. Yes I did know that Microsoft had stopped supporting Windows 7, and I do have Internet Security on. It would not be too daunting to try and download it again, I would be able to manage that, I just never wanted to.
Thanks again for your response.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If you are talking about the Start menu tiled apps, that is an optional feature that can be largely removed.
However, it is a useful alternative to icons on the Taskbar or on the Desktop and I find it quite useful.
Otherwise, the application program menu is somewhat similar to Window 7.

To get Windows 10 visit https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/softwar ... /windows10 and under Create Windows 10 installation media, click Download tool now and Run and choose Upgrade this PC now.

Those instructions are provided online at:
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-down ... 7-is-dead/
or
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkell ... e-in-2020/
or
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... -for-free/
or
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6734 ... -tool.html
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

May be not relevant but there are some computers which were not recommended for the free W10 upgrade due to components being incompatible.
The lists are on the MS site.
I had to replace our brilliant Sony W7 stand alone desk top. And take out a new sub to go on using MS Office.
Kris-621
Silver

Post by Kris-621 »

Thanks once again for your replies and help. I have decided that I will buy a new desktop and laptop, I was thinking about doing it last year but due to pandemic never got round to it, then shops closed. I prefer to see what I am buying so should be able to look soon, hopefully if shops open as planned.
I just wish I could have known that FH7 was not fully compatible with Win7, I would not have bought the upgrade from FH6. I have used Family Historian for over 10 years and was quite excited by the new features, so was obviously disappointed when the formatting on the notes would not work. Thanks again.
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

It’s a pity that Calico Pie don’t seem to think it is worth mentioning on their website that Windows 7 is not fully supported. As far as I can see, they claim FH7 runs on Windows 7 upwards, and mentioning compatibility issues only after people have purchased the new version is dubious in the extreme and difficult to justify.
Mark Draper
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

I may be missing something, but have Calico actually said it isn't compatible with Windows 7? I don't know if Kris has reported these issues to Calico or not?

I know Mike (who is a FH user and doesn't work for Calico Pie) has said "There have been suggestions in other threads that Windows 7 does not fully support all of the 'rich text' features such as formatted text and tables. That is a Microsoft problem that Calico Pie cannot fix.". But I don't know if that's been acknowledge by Calico Pie and I'm not sure what the suggestions in other threads referred to are. I know that I've mentioned that I've found that rich-text tables can't be resized using dragging, but that's not necessarily a game changer.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Nick,

Kris has raised the problem with CP support who advised that Windpws 7 may be the problem.

Kris, have you checked as I suggested that you have all Windows 7 updates installed on your system?
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Yes it wasn't clear (to me) whether that response "Windows 7 may be the problem" meant "your installation of Windows 7 may be the problem" or "Family Historian has problems with Windows 7".
Nick Walker

Kris-621
Silver

Post by Kris-621 »

Sorry I have not been on for a few days, been busy. I have checked Windows 7 for updates and it appears to be OK, I have also been in touch with FH support, and they could not help but did say they were passing details to the developers. Their response was ‘ Thank you for reporting this. We have now confirmed all the issues you raise - but only for Windows 7. When you run FH7 under Windows 7, pasting formatted text into the Note Window does not work. As you may perhaps already know, if you right-click on the window, you can paste using the "Paste Unformatted Text" command. Alternatively if you paste anything into Notepad and copy again it within Notepad, you will then be able to paste that copied text into the Note Window using the Paste button or by pressing Ctrl-V.

We have also confirmed the other issues you raised, about not being able to resize columns in tables, and not being able to use the "Modify Table" commands. Again, these issues apparently only affect Windows 7. We have logged all of these issues and passed them to the developers for investigation.’

I was offered a refund if I wanted, but have decided to stay with FH7 even without formatting for the time being as I like the other new features. If they cannot fix the formatting, as mentioned before a new laptop is overdue.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Thanks - that's very interesting to read the response from Calico and confirms some of my observations with Windows 7. We all have to remember that Windows 7 is obsolete so it is likely that more and more software will not work on W7 as time passes.
Nick Walker