* AS on a go Slow

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
ChrisRead
Famous
Family Historian: V7

AS on a go Slow

Post by ChrisRead »

Hi Nick,

I've not pinned down the exact circumstances that lead to this, but I have found a sudden slowdown of AS when entering information on the Residence tab of the Baptism source.

The usual occurrence is than I have unchecked the Individual Residence & Birthplace and the Mother's Residence.
I then enter the Father's Residence Place then Address. The place usually auto-fills and is duplicated in all the other Place fields greyed out. When I then start typing the address (assuming no autofill) the characters lag significantly before appearing, and there is a lot of redrawing going on as it duplicates the address text as it is in each other address field. I can sometimes get several characters ahead of what is displayed.

It may be slowing due to the redraw of the three other addresses each character types, but it seems a lot slower than I'd expect, and I can see the fields being removed and put back each time, which may be having a greater impact on the performance.

Maybe skipping updating the unchecked place/address sets would avoid the issue as unchecking implies you don't have or don't want the data, so they should be blank when disabled. Alternatively, there is an unintended amount of work being done under the hood that is slowing it down.

PS: Just duplicated it by having a new Baptism without selecting anyone or entering anything and going straight to the Residence tab. I did as above and put in a Father's Place that was known, then started to type in the address, and it was lagging as described.

Anyway, it's not crashing but maybe something you want to checkout to see what's going on.
Chris Read
Family Historian and Ancestral Sources user.

Researching the READ family and the myriad other relations that turned up.
NickWalker
Megastar

Re: AS on a go Slow

Post by NickWalker »

I've just tested it and it seemed OK to me. I tried it with a massive file that I sometimes use for testing with 40,000 individuals and nearly 2000 places.

Perhaps see if restarting AS or indeed your computer makes a difference?
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
ChrisRead
Famous

Post by ChrisRead »

Yeah, it seems Ok most of the time, and previously I've wondered if it was related to AS needing to shut down, but I almost always do a single source and close it down before starting again for the next one. I also wondered if it was related FH which I tend to keep running. Recycling FH as well maybe seemed to make it Ok, but I couldn't think why that should be.

My other thought was were the auto updates to the other place/address fields on the tab triggering the auto update of the other fields in a cyclic manner.

So, tried it again, just AS running, loaded GED (~3000 entries), went to Baptism Residence tab.
Unchecked all but Father's Residence before doing anything else.
Typed in the Father's Residence address field, no lag seen.
Manually deleted the address (not Clear, but this does not appear to matter), and filled in place with unknown place, then typed in the address field, no lag seen.
Manually deleted both fields, entered a known place so it auto filled, then typed in the address field, lag was now seen.

It gets weirder and there are more factors. I found that a different or unknown place didn't exhibit the same lag when typing an address, so I checked and the one I was using had a lot (54) of addresses associated, so I chose another with similar number (39) of addresses and that also showed the lag in the address field.

Another observation...
I switched to try on the Individual Residence entry and got the same lagging, as I thought it may only be the Father's fields. I then Cleared all four unchecked sections, and was still getting lag and the other three were auto-filling with whatever I was entering in the Individual fields just like when I started out using the Father's fields.

The interesting thing was I then unchecked Individual and checked Fathers after Clearing all sections again. Now when I entered a known place (lots of addresses one) and typed in the address (in fathers fields) I got no lagging, but more importantly the other tree sections were no longer updating the Place and Address fields in tandem. So some behaviour had changed. I cleared Father and re-enabled Individual and the behaviour remained the same i.e. no lag and no auto-filling of disabled sections.

I am now certain it's not FH related or AS running a long time or my PC, but appears to be related to Places with quite a number of Addresses. It also seems related to the auto-population of the other three sections (I just verified and it does not appear to matter if they are checked or unchecked) given that it stops lagging when it stops auto-populating (why it stops this is for you to figure out :))

Ok, have fun with this one.
Chris Read

johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

I quite often get this (I have 89000+ individuals)
I get it mainly occurring when a place field has a lot of addresses associated with it.

A new place will work very fast, but gets progressively slower to react the more addresses there are.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

This rang a bell with me and I know I had an email conversation with you John back when I'd just started developing AS7 and I said that when I got further down the line in development I'd ask if you (or anyone) could send me an example GEDCOM with a lot of addresses for the same place. Which I didn't do.

If you or anyone could send me a copy of a file with a large number of addresses for a single place that exhibits this issue it would be really helpful.

Cheers

Nick
Nick Walker

NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

I've now got a file to test and have been able to reproduce the problem. So will investigate.

Chris - would you mind dropping me an email (nick at ancestral sources dot com). It would be handy to be able to contact you directly now and again if I need you to test something! :)
Nick Walker

johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

Hi Nick,
Just sent you my file via email
ChrisRead
Famous

Post by ChrisRead »

Will do, had thought about direct channels would be useful on the long long thread :)
Chris Read