* Scottish Marriages

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
Johnr65
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Scottish Marriages

Post by Johnr65 »

The above templates don't show the registrar and actual date of registration so when the Auto text is done it just shows a month and year?
Is it possible to add this to the template and if so how?
:?: :?:
NickWalker
Megastar

Re: Scottish Marriages

Post by NickWalker »

I can't possibly include text boxes for every possible thing that might appear on certificates and ultimately you're going to need to type this in so why not just type it straight into the source text? Once you've entered all the information and the auto-text has produced its best attempt at what the transcription might look like, before saving, you always need to then edit the source text manually to make it a more accurate transcript. At that point just type in the registrar details as required.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

Hi Nick,
This always seems to occur on Scottish marriages 1856- and my having a large Scottish ancestry surely it can't be too difficult to add it to the one template or if you're too busy maybe you could show me how to do it?
:?: :?: :?:
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

John, the space for those details is there in the autotext, as the last column if you use Rich Text or as the last couple of lines if you use plain text.

rich text.JPG
rich text.JPG (23.49 KiB) Viewed 4325 times

plain text.JPG
plain text.JPG (15.96 KiB) Viewed 4325 times

You can just type the details straight into the text from source yourself.
As Nick has said, ultimately you have to type it in somewhere so why not there? What would be the advantage in typing those details into the grid at the top first, just so that they would then appear automatically in the text from source?
It wouldn't save you any typing.
Lorna
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

I know where the blanks appear, Lorna. Why can't I be allowed to add the necessary text in to the template to show who registered it and when? Sometimes it's helpful to know if the registrar was an ancestor of mine?
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Sorry John I'm just really confused as to what the problem is. You can type the data in as both Laura and I have explained. The template doesn't have any idea who your registrar is or the date. How could it possibly know without you typing it in?!
Nick Walker

Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

Hi Nick,
You have the registered date, place and name on the Scottish death template so why not add it to the marriage one or if you show me how to do it, I'll do it on just mine?
:?:
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

John, what you're asking for isn't a modification to the template, but a modification to the code of AS to collect the data you're asking to include. Hence the recommendation that you type the data straight into the Autotext.

Alternatively, you can include the registrar in the list of Associated people, and modify the auto-text template using the option under Tools to include them as registrar. But you can't handle the date that way.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Johnr65 wrote: 22 Feb 2021 09:40 Sometimes it's helpful to know if the registrar was an ancestor of mine?
John, are you saying that if the Registrar happens to be someone who is in your project you want AS to create a Witness role for them? If so, that involves more than just adding their name and registration date to the main grid.

On the other hand if you only need the name and date to appear in the Text from Source you can type it there directly and you will be able to see the information there when you look at the Source in FH.
Lorna
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

In a Marriage entry you have this box which is where you can enter a minister:
ScotMarr-1.PNG
ScotMarr-1.PNG (942 Bytes) Viewed 4216 times
On the Death entry you have this box box which is where you can enter a Registrar:
ScotMarr-2.PNG
ScotMarr-2.PNG (881 Bytes) Viewed 4216 times
All I've really done there is just change the label from 'Minister' to 'Registrar'. So there isn't an equivalent additional box to also enter the marriage registrar because that box is already used to enter the Minister who officiated at the marriage.

A death registration date is generally quite important because the death is registered by a member of the family and all certificates from multiple countries use this information. This is why I added this to Ancestral Sources in the first place. A marriage registration date isn't something that appears on certificates generally (or isn't relevant as far as I can understand it - see comment below)

I think what you're asking for is not a change to a template but a change to the Ancestral Sources application so you can have similar additional boxes to type in the name of the registrar and the date. This would require significant additional programming from me and I don't really see much benefit from doing so. All you would be doing is typing the name of the registrar and the date into two boxes on the screen and that's what you're already doing when you type them into the boxes in the source text below.

An additional comment: I'm not really sure what the significance of a marriage registration date (and who registered) or why this is important? I'm not sure how this would affect my family history. I can see from the Scottish marriages that they tend to be registered a day or two after the marriage. Is this just an administrative job that takes place behind the scenes - is this something that the married couple get involved in at all? I take your point that it may be that the registrar is a member of your family but wouldn't that be something that would affect only a tiny fraction of a percentage of users of AS (probably 0%)?
Nick Walker

Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

Thank you Nick for your clarification, I guess I'll have to go without.
:D
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

You can add an Associated Person Role as Registrar and then add That role to your template.
I have done this for my American Marriages as they are often witnessed by the Registrar.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Yes Lorna made that suggestion too although this doesn't solve the registration date issue. I suppose you could possibly use the 'Other Information' box too. You would then need to edit the template and put {OTHER} keyword into the template at the point where you want the text to appear.
Nick Walker

ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Yes Lorna made that suggestion too although this doesn't solve the registration date issue.
Lorna, thanks for ghost-writing my replies!
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

And Helen too (sorry you both replied while I was writing my long response!).
Nick Walker

LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 22 Feb 2021 12:47
Yes Lorna made that suggestion too although this doesn't solve the registration date issue.
Lorna, thanks for ghost-writing my replies!
You're welcome! :lol:
Lorna
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Just to add for the sake of completeness, that it is proposed (or maybe more accurately, it was proposed before things happened) that registration become a separate step for marriages in England & Wales, as well as Scotland, instead of the current de facto combined ceremony and registration.
Adrian