* Adding new source record without relating initially to an individual?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
rlparsons
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Adding new source record without relating initially to an individual?

Post by rlparsons »

I have been trying to add a number of pages from the 1939 census into my family tree in anticipation of adding citations at a later point from various individuals. It appears that I have to start with at least one individual in both Ancestral Sources and FH in order to create a source record - or am I missing something? At this point, I'd prefer to just use FH.
BillH
Megastar

Re: Adding new source record without relating initially to an individual?

Post by BillH »

In FH have you tried using the toolbar and selecting Add > Source?

You can also go to the Sources tab of the Records Window, right click anywhere except on an existing Source Record title and select New Source.

Bill
Bill Henshaw
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

No, it’s perfectly possible to create a source without linking it to an individual. In fact, it’s what I do every time - I create a new source, either from first principles or by cloning a similar one, fill in the Text from Source and add any media, and finally link it to relevant individuals and facts.

The Clone Any Record plugin is probably ideal for this, as FH doesn’t have a native “copy source” function.
Mark Draper
rlparsons
Platinum

Post by rlparsons »

Thanks folks.

How embarassing! Strangely I don't think I've ever used the ADD button before. So obvious.

It's Lockdown, you know.