* Running FH7 on laptop without internet

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
jyates37
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Running FH7 on laptop without internet

Post by jyates37 »

Hi
I have been using Fh7 on my desktopfor a month or so with no problems. I have found out an old laptop and have installed windows 7 to take FH7. I have installed it on the laptop but the laptop will not connect to the internet to register Fh7. Is there a way of fifnishing the installation without connecting the laptop to the internet? I have a Licence Key.
Thanks
John
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Running FH7 on laptop without internet

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

John,

Activation of an FH7 installation can ONLY take place over the internet. You could try contacting Calico Pie for support, at http://support.calico-pie.com/open.php but I fear you'll be out of luck.
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

John,

Presumably the internet connection problem with the 'old' laptop is getting a wireless connection? If that is that case you could try making a temporary physical connection to the Router using a network cable which usually solves any short-term problems, and it also allows you to check/update any drivers for wireless connections if the laptop has wireless capability. Wireless USB dongles are also available very cheaply for PCs/laptops if internal wireless connections are 'broken' or non-existent.

Mervyn
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

What version of Windows are you running on the old laptop? If the problem isn't getting a network connection (as per Mervyn's suggestion) but rather getting the laptop to communicate with the Family Historian site, there's a setting for Windows 7/8 that can be changed to help.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

The OP says they "have installed windows 7 to take FH7".
Lorna
jyates37
Gold

Post by jyates37 »

Thank everyone for your reply. I have tried the suggestions and have had a reply from family historian which has also failed.
Is there a way of saving my tree in FH7 which FH6 can read if so thinking of going back to FH6?
Thanks
John
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Was this the reply from C?

Enabling something called "TLS 1.2" in "Internet Properties" on your PC should fix the login problem - see 2 images enclosed with numbered steps showing how to do this in the Control Panel.
shot 1.jpg
shot 1.jpg (130.6 KiB) Viewed 4801 times
shot 2.jpg
shot 2.jpg (140.87 KiB) Viewed 4801 times
jyates37
Gold

Post by jyates37 »

Yes. those are the insructions recieved , but unfortunatly they did not work.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Did you take full backups of all your Projects in FH V6?
Did you run the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings plugin in FH V6?
If the answer is 'yes' to both and you still have those backups then you can revert to FH V6 quite easily.
If the answer is 'no' to either then it will depend on factors like how much have you entered into Projects in FH V7 and how many customised settings you have for Diagrams, Reports, Queries, Plugins, Fact Sets, etc, etc...
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

John, I apologise if this is a daft question, but did you actually establish any form of Internet connection?
Early in this thread, various suggestions were made about bypassing WiFi with a direct Ethernet cable connection.
You said you tried the suggestions but never confirmed whether you achieved an Internet connection.
I ask because without a connection adjusting TLS settings will have absolutely no effect.

So have you actually now got an Internet connection?
jyates37
Gold

Post by jyates37 »

Hi Mike
In answer to your question did I establish an internet connection the answer is yes, but would not connect with the Fh website not sure why. Had a reply from FH saying I needed to upgrade to windows 10. Having read that you are only allowed to run the FH7 software on two machines, if one crashes and you want to reinstall you have exceeded your licence, you have to purchase another licence. With this in mind I have decided to go back to FH6 where i have a disk and licence key that does not need to be registered or restrictionon how many machines it is used on.
Thanks
John
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

John,

Strictly speaking, your FH6 licence only entitles you to install the software on 2 PCs maximum, but there's always been some leeway when transferring the software from 1 PC to another (e.g. when replacing 1 PC with another) as long as you only have 2 copies installed at the end of the transfer.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Also, if a PC crashes and you need to reinstall FH V7 you won't have to purchase another licence.
However, to install on another PC you will have to request Calico Pie to remove the activation from the defunct PC so you can activate FH V7 on the replacement PC.

In order to revert to FH V6, you will need full backups of your Projects and custom settings for Diagrams, Reports, Queries, etc, etc, in FH V6 format. Otherwise, you will need not use alternative manual workarounds we can explain.
jyates37
Gold

Post by jyates37 »

Hi Mike
I have had confirmed by Family Historian that what you say is 100% accurate, I never doubted you I just prefer to get things in writing.
I have managed to connect the laptop to the internet and login to my account on FH website.
When I try to register FH7 it is still failing to login, it says
Login failed Internet Exception caught. dwError=12037; trace =7
Hoping you or somebody have some idea what this means or how to overcome.

Thanks
John
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As a matter of interest, how did you achieve an Internet connection?

I presume you have applied the TLS settings that Calico Pie advised.

Since it looks like an FH login problem I suggest you ask Calico Pie for advice.
jyates37
Gold

Post by jyates37 »

Hi Mike

Thank you for your quick reply. I will contact them and let you know what happens.
John.
jyates37
Gold

Post by jyates37 »

Hi Mike
I have now managed to register the software on line with windows 7, after researching and trying many things the date of the laptop had been set to 1980 by installing windows 7, once I had set the correct date it registered. I have now loaded my project on to the laptop.

I am so pleased to have achieved this, thank you for your and everybody's help.
John
trevorrix
Famous

Post by trevorrix »

It is still possible to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 free of charge.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how ... 10-upgrade
Trevor Rix