* Link to Frame

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
peterbel
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Link to Frame

Post by peterbel »

Up to now I have used this to grab a face from a photo for an Individual's Focus record but wondered if I could use it to grab the text out of an old document to use as a Source.
For example, a page of a Parish register of Marriages may have 20 marriages listed and only one of them is a relation, it would be nice to be able to use that feature to grab just that part as an image for the Source.
Tracing the Devon Bellamy family along with their partners.
BillH
Megastar

Re: Link to Frame

Post by BillH »

Yes, this is possible. After linking the media to the source you can then use the button labeled "Link to Detail" to link to the portion of the media that applies.

image1.jpg
image1.jpg (44.85 KiB) Viewed 4529 times

Bill
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

Thanks Bill.
I tried that but I wasn't able to see the resultant image anywhere !!
I should add that as it was a Marriage record it is a source for a Family record.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

If you view the Source record in its Property Box or in the Citation Window, on the Media tab you will see it there.
Lorna
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Where are you expecting to see the detail frame?

For example, if I generate a report and include images for the source, the detail frame shows up.

Bill
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

I was hoping to see it on the Source Media Tab so I could unlink the full document image.
But it isn't there. The frame is showing on the full image.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (25.23 KiB) Viewed 4507 times
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

The frame doesn't show there in FH 6.2.7 which is the version I am on. Looks like it doesn't show there in FH 7 either.

Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Peter, you cannot unlink the full document image as that is the ONLY image there is.

The Detail Frame is just like the Face Frame. It does not physically crop the image. It just automatically displays the fragment of the full image chosen by the Frame coordinates. It allows you to have multiple Frames all based on the one master image. For example, if you have a group photo, you add one master image and then a Face Frame for each person's head & shoulders. There are many examples of that in the Family Historian Sample Project.

The Frame does show in the Edit Media Item dialogue but you may have to click Select Frame to see it.
I can see it clearly in Peter's screenshot even though it is half cropped off:
Frame.png
Frame.png (26.38 KiB) Viewed 4496 times
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

Thanks All,
I was trying to post a picture without personal details, that is why image is cropped the way it is.
I was only thinking of deleting the original image as the rest wasn't relevant, however I see it has to remain.
The Select Frame just gives me sizing handles, it doesn't, like the Face Frame process, use that clip in the Focus Window or anywhere else that I have found.
I am beginning to think I will have to Photoshop the image to get what I want. :(
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Only photos attached to the Individual Property Box Media tab will show in the Focus Window or on Diagrams.

The Detail Frame appears in the Media tab of the Source record Property Box, and in the Sources section of Reports.

It is often necessary to retain the whole document image as proof of reference numbers, dates, places, etc, in the headings.

Whereas in Reports it is better to show the enlarged Detail Frame in order to decipher the details of interest.

For example, if you have a Census page the references are on the edge but the Frame would pick out the household of interest.

Yes, if you wish to physically crop they image you must use a photo editor outside FH.
But if you want to keep the same Media Record link to the Media file, take care you replace the full image by the cropped image with the same filename.
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

Thanks Mike,
It is often necessary to retain the whole document image as proof of reference numbers, dates, places, etc, in the headings.
Sadly the images from FMP Parish records don't seem to include their reference, only what was written. I have been fooled by that before!
Whereas in Reports it is better to show the enlarged Detail Frame in order to decipher the details of interest.
That would be good. Is that automatically done or user choice? I was thinking of Book creation.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That is a false generalisation for FMP (and other online sites) as a quick review of Church Register images suggests the majority do have some reference details such as Parish, County & Year across the top plus a reference code, which is sometimes on the side, such as PBT/2/152/482. But yes some only show the register entries with no references.

Reports and Books and Diagrams always show the Detail/Face Frame by default.

You can, of course, have two Media links, one for the Frame and one for the full image.
trevorrix
Famous

Post by trevorrix »

As digital storage is cheap, maybe best not to crop images such as this - to show the context of the whole page.
Trevor Rix
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

That is a false generalisation for FMP (and other online sites) as a quick review of Church Register images suggests the majority do have some reference details such as Parish, County & Year across the top plus a reference code, which is sometimes on the side, such as PBT/2/152/482. But yes some only show the register entries with no references.
I must be unlucky because more of my Parish record images don't have their reference than do. In fact the majority don't have the Church or Year on the page or beside it.
The reason I wanted the crop was so just the relevant section was visible in a book or report, some Burial records have 20+ names on a page and some not in the most readable handwriting !
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As we have said, if you use the Detail Frame option, only the Frame shows in Reports and Books, but you retain the context of the whole page in the Project database.
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

Yes thanks Mike, I have been successfully adding the Frames. :)