* Narrative reports text size and other questions

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
mezentia
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Narrative reports text size and other questions

Post by mezentia »

I have just generated an individual narrative report for the first time using FH7. As the text size for the narrative body is far too small, I increased the size in the Report Options to 11 which is the typeface size I would use for any normal narrative-style document. The works fine until note text accompanying one of the indididual's events is included in the report, and which uses a different typeface. After the note text the generated narrative text font reverts to Time New Roman size 7. I think this is a bug, but has anyone else noticed this behaviour?

I also noticed that the superscript source reference number is so tiny as to be almost unreadable. Is there an option to increase the size of this? I couldn't see any in the Report Options dialogue.

Lastly, is there a way to have picture notes included in the narrative report, preferably as part of a picture's caption?
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Narrative reports text size and other questions

Post by tatewise »

You are not the first to have noticed such oddities in Reports, but I think you have spotted some new ones.

The Font Format after an included Note should return to the Report > Options > Format settings so that is bug 1.

The citation superscript numbers do not adjust to the Report > Options > Format so that is bug 2.

It seems that regardless of the Report > Options > Pictures settings the pictures only get a fixed caption.
You can include the Year of Picture and Individual's Age but that is all. No other options do anything.
Picture Note and Link Note even when Use Link Note as Caption is ticked are not usable, so that is bug 3.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Deirdre784
Famous

Post by Deirdre784 »

I've just discovered the same problem with pictures
Deirdre
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

tatewise wrote: 09 Jan 2021 15:09 It seems that regardless of the Report > Options > Pictures settings the pictures only get a fixed caption.
You can include the Year of Picture and Individual's Age but that is all. No other options do anything.
Picture Note and Link Note even when Use Link Note as Caption is ticked are not usable, so that is bug 3.
I am not seeing this problem. When I produce an individual narrative report the Use Note as Caption option is honoured correctly.
Lorna
Deirdre784
Famous

Post by Deirdre784 »

In my places report, i get the place name in full, and can add the name of the image if i want to, but that then repeats most the of the info which looks silly, so i have left it as the default.
Deirdre
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Lorna, what Pictures tab settings are you using because it is not working for us three.

Ah! The options work better where there is a Face Frame defined.

For full-frame images, none of the Pictures tab settings work the way they did in FH V6.
Link Note Captions are ignored and the Picture Title cannot be turned off/on.
Deirdre784
Famous

Post by Deirdre784 »

No faces on my maps 😀
Deirdre
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

No, but you can still add a Link to Detail frame which is the same feature but for documents, etc.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

tatewise wrote: 09 Jan 2021 17:07 Lorna, what Pictures tab settings are you using because it is not working for us three.

Ah! The options work better where there is a Face Frame defined.

For full-frame images, none of the Pictures tab settings work the way they did in FH V6.
Link Note Captions are ignored and the Picture Title cannot be turned off/on.
I have used an individual narrative report because that is what mezentia said he was using. It makes no difference whether it is a frame link or a full image. In this example from the Sample Project I have linked a picture of Anthony Edward Munro as a whole picture in additon to the frame link. As you will see, both the frame link caption (test note 2) and the full frame caption (test note 3) are displyed in the report.

Report options.JPG
Report options.JPG (56.11 KiB) Viewed 5750 times
Link note.JPG
Link note.JPG (58.58 KiB) Viewed 5750 times
Narrative report.JPG
Narrative report.JPG (116.01 KiB) Viewed 5750 times
Lorna
Deirdre784
Famous

Post by Deirdre784 »

tatewise wrote: 09 Jan 2021 17:20 No, but you can still add a Link to Detail frame which is the same feature but for documents, etc.
Thanks - sorted now (I wasn't seeing the 'edit media' option).
Deirdre
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Lorna, I apologise.
It was a matter of finding the correct full image which was hiding attached to a fact and then Link Note Captions work.

However, the Pictures tab option to Inc. Picture Title does not work correctly.
When unticked the Picture Title remains on full frames whereas in FH V6 it was hidden.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

tatewise wrote: 09 Jan 2021 18:22 However, the Pictures tab option to Inc. Picture Title does not work correctly.
When unticked the Picture Title remains on full frames whereas in FH V6 it was hidden.
Again, my findings are different. When I remove the link note from the full picture of Anthony Edawrd Munro and leave Inc Picture Title ticked I see this (The Picture title is 'Anthony Munro'):
Inc. picture title.JPG
Inc. picture title.JPG (13.51 KiB) Viewed 5707 times
And when I untick it I see this ('Anthony Munro' has been removed):
without picture title.JPG
without picture title.JPG (13.18 KiB) Viewed 5707 times
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, so maybe it is only full-frame pictures attached directly to Facts that are not working for the Title options.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Ah, yes. That's an obscure one to spot! A full frame picture attached directly to a Fact is always displayed with the Picture title, regardless of the Title options chosen for the report.
Lorna
mezentia
Superstar

Post by mezentia »

I have successfully recreated the first problem I mentioned about the narative report typeface reverting to the default settings following a note formatted to use a different typeface. Reverting the note to the default typeface and layout settings removes the problem. The behaviour is consistent and reproducible. I have now submitted a bug report to Calio Pie for this issue.

A few new issues have then surfaced. Saving the report as a PDF file creates a file of the correct number of pages, but each page is blank. Saving the report as an RTF file works, and the problem with the different typeface size dissappears - the output is as I wanted. Printing the report using the Family Historian PDF printer creates a file whose contents mirror those on the screen display, that is with the narrative part of the reoprt reverting to defauly formats follwong the note.

I haven't looked at the picture caption issue yet in detail, but the note I would like printed is the Picture Note not the Link Note. In this particular case, the note refers to the entire image, which happens to be a street scene, rather that a linked part of the image, that I would like to appear as a caption with the image.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

... the note I would like printed is the Picture Note not the Link Note. In this particular case, the note refers to the entire image, which happens to be a street scene, rather that a linked part of the image, that I would like to appear as a caption with the image.
In that case you will need to copy the Picture Note into the Link Note field, and tick Use Note as Caption. It doesn't matter whether the link is to the whole image or part of it.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have also discovered that Media attached to a Place record has the same problem as Media attached to a Fact, and ignores the Pictures tab Inc. Picture Title... settings, but that problem is inherited from FH V6. i.e. It affects 'Other' Picture Types.

There is no way to include the Picture Note as a caption to Media in a Report, except as Lorna describes.

@mezentia, have you reported that the citation superscript numbers do not adjust to the Report > Options > Format?
That worked correctly in FH V6 so is a new FH V7 phenomenon.

There are many PDF output problems and that is typical (I get exactly that on my desktop PC).
See V7 PDF creation very slow, creating huge files (18533).
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

.....but that problem is inherited from FH V6. i.e. It affects 'Other' Picture Types.
I suspect that it may be deliberate. The point is that when it's a picture of a person (linked directly to the individual) and you are not using the note as the caption, FH generates a caption ,e.g."Anthony Edward MUNRO", and then in addition can add the Picture Title if you wish. I usually don't want the Title as well because it is often a repeat of the automatically generated caption. But with 'Other' picture types it doesn't automatically generate a caption, so there would be no caption at all if the Picture Title were not inlcuded. So I find present set-up ideal.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That may be valid but the Help page says for Inc. Picture Title:
"Pictures can have a title, which can be included in the caption (within quotes)."
Presumably, when unticked it implies pictures won't have a title included.
It makes no exceptions for 'Other' pictures. The titles are also never within quotes.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Hmmm... It looks as if that paragraph in the Help has not been updated for a long time. It was probably written before 'other' pictures could be included in reports. I don't remember the title ever being within quotes, but perhaps it once was.

Anyway, I am happy with the way it works at the moment. I do want the picture title to be displayed for 'other' pictures, but not for individual pictures (where it would often be repetitive). And I'm also glad that when 'other' pictures are displayed the individual's age is not included in the caption even if that option is ticked.
Lorna
mezentia
Superstar

Post by mezentia »

Mike, I haven't reported the superscript problem yet as it is a little more complicated than it appears at first sight. The superscripts clearly do not increase in size on screen when the typeface is increased in size. However, they do when creating an RTF copy of the report, but not when printing to a PDF printer. I will gather more information first, then submit a bug report.
mezentia
Superstar

Post by mezentia »

The narrative report text size issue has been reported to CP. The have been able to re-create the issue, and acknowledged it as a problem. I'm awaiting a further response.
mezentia
Superstar

Post by mezentia »

I've just received a response from CP to say that this issue has now been fixed. I've downloaded an updated file, and it's working ok.