* FH 6 & FH 7 compatibility

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
David Hawkins
Platinum
Family Historian: V6.2

FH 6 & FH 7 compatibility

Post by David Hawkins »

I have my master tree using FH 6 on a dedicated laptop which is not connected to the internet. All data are backed up on an external hard drive for further security. I keep a backup copy of the full program on my main computer in order to be able to use features like mapping. Since both computers use the same version of FH I can exchange data between the two with no problems.

I would like to update to FH 7, but I understand that this is only available as a download, so I can't put it on my laptop. I have seen some posts with comments about data differences between FH 6 and FH 7. If I upgrade my main computer to FH 7, what problems would arise if I want to update data from my master (FH 6) to the backup (FH 7)? Would it be possible to open an FH 6 GED or backup in FH 7? I wouldn't need to send data from FH 7 to FH 6.

Thanks

David Hawkins
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: FH 6 & FH 7 compatibility

Post by tatewise »

There are a number of issues to discuss there.

Firstly, you can copy download installation files from main PC to laptop the same way you copy GEDCOM files.
The only time the laptop needs to go online is for the installation of the downloaded file and validation of the activation licence code.

If your master tree is on FH V6 and you don't migrate back from FH V7 to FH V6 why do you need to upgrade to FH V7 at all?
You will never be able to use any FH V7 features because they are FH V6 incompatible.

Yes, a Project Backup from FH V6 will import to FH V7 and will be automatically converted to the new format each time.
But you refer to it as the "backup (FH 7)" but it is not in a suitable format as a backup to the FH V6 Project.
The best form of backup is to simply keep the FH V6 Project Backup ZIP files on your main PC without involving FH V7.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
David Hawkins
Platinum

Post by David Hawkins »

Thanks Mike

That has made my options much clearer. I shall upgrade to FH V7 on the desktop to use all the excellent new features.

Since the laptop would only have to go online for installation and validation, I shall upgrade that too for compatibility. Is it legally acceptable to have 2 copies registered, as this is not then strictly a backup.

David
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Yes - the standard licence permits two copies, both used by you and not simultaneously. Unlike earlier versions, the FH7 on-line registration process controls that, and permits only two. If you try to install a third, activation prompts you for one of the existing copies to disable (which is permanent, so you cannot hop from PC to PC).
Mark Draper
wolfswald
Platinum

Post by wolfswald »

That prompts another question. I use copies of FH on two different computers as well. What if I buy a replacement for one of those computers at some point in the future? Do I then have to buy another copy/licence of FH7, too?
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

No, as Mark said If you try to install a third, activation prompts you for one of the existing copies to disable.
So you disable FH on the computer you are replacing, then install it on the new one.
Lorna