* Is FH As Good As We Think

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
brianlummis
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Is FH As Good As We Think

Post by brianlummis »

My apologies if I am lengthening this discussion but I wouldn't want William a to think he is without some support for his views. I also think that bugs could be fixed in a much more timely way but maybe it is because I am spoilt by the owner of a piece of software that I use for designing websites.

The web design software is complex and has numerous tools that can be used and would give the old web design program Dreamweaver a good run for it's money. It is not expensive and does not have a large development team - in fact it is a one man band. When a bug is found there is normally a hot fix within 24 hours and a version update at least once a month. On top of that the owner normally responds in the forum, even when he is on holiday as well as on Christmas Day!

It may well be that you think that I am comparing apples with pears as he is dealing with an ever changing world with new developments in the area of web design whereas FH is basically a database driven piece of software in a static environment with little change being seen in the genealogy world. That should in fact make it easier to correct any shortcomings rather than taking a long time to respond.

Let me say that I am more than happy with FH and the support given on this forum but there is a saying in the world of marketing is that you should look after your existing customers before pursuing new ones.

Brian
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

I'm not clear where this discussion is going as it started from the title and seems to have deteriorated into a grumble about undefined 'bugs' in the software.

If this is to continue positively, can we just be clear that:

- A software bug is an error, flaw or fault in a computer program or system that causes it to produce an incorrect or unexpected result, or to behave in unintended ways.

- Things that simply don't behave the way a software user expects or wants are not (necessarily) 'bugs'

- Things that work a particular way 'by design' are not software 'bugs', even if there is an argument that the design might need reviewing.

- Errors that arise from external changes/events, or add-on software, are not 'bugs' in the base software, but may require an enhancement, or even the removal of an existing feature.

Do we have a clear handle of how many genuinely identified 'bugs' have been reported to and not actioned by the developers? If not, then there really is no firm basis for any informed discussion.

For anyone that may think that the Calico Pie developers have been resting since the release of Version 6.0, please refresh the memory by looking at the major new features added, at no cost to existing users, in Versions 6.1 and 6.2 https://www.family-historian.co.uk/feat ... ersion-6-1

In my experience, the reality is that, after a settling in period, the more software updates you get the more issues you are likely to see; and the less you will trust the software. Also, the hasty release of new software versions only makes any issues worse, as many users of Microsoft Windows, MacOS or Linux would warmly attest.

Mervyn
Grace
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by Grace »

GeneSniper wrote: 15 Nov 2020 16:04 Oh and for anyone who is interested the release date for FH7 is (Drum roll please)- "V7 is getting closer, that is all we can say currently. Sorry" Calico Pies answer to a part of a question I asked which asked " just confirmation that FH7 will be coming in the near future, not in 6 months or worse another year" especially when we are over a year down the line from the initial announcement
I guess we can take it that it won't be in the next 6 months then. :roll:
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I guess we can take it that it won't be in the next 6 months then
We can take it they're playing their cards close to their chest, I suspect.
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Grace wrote: 29 Nov 2020 20:35 I guess we can take it that it won't be in the next 6 months then. :roll:
This same discussion is taking place amongst RootsMagic users as well...At this point I believe that CP, much like RM, is making no promises at all. We'll know the release date when it happens.

Am I excited for the new FH? Yes.

Am I going to angst over the release date? No.

On the original topic, I admit that I do like the plug-in system. For many people, basic software is what they want and having too many features overwhelms them. FH gives the option to use it at its most basic level, or to add features as required. Great that it's open source (or a version of that) so that experienced users can write the plug-ins for download.
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

Am I going to angst over the release date? No.
I agree with you about that, I am just annoyed that I put off re doing my tree over a year ago waiting for the new release. I took it that when Simon said it won't be before Christmas when interviewed at the release that he meant Christmas 2019 not Christmas 2020 or 21 :lol: :lol: :lol:
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

At this point I believe that CP, much like RM, is making no promises at all.
Not entirely true - RM announced last week that they would release a public beta that anybody can try out by year-end, so things are moving forward. If they have fixed their problematic file comparison routine, it would make syncing FH with Ancestry via RM significantly easier.
Mark Draper
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

I dont take the view that it always simpler to use the project straight from the box.
I started a couple of times playing with fh and didnt really "get" it.

Then when I needed to build some big research databases, I read on line reviews saying fh was the best for one name or historical research, and I seriously started.

I would find myself completely lost reading CLDS microfilms in the National Archive and I remember Jane and Mike were constantly at hand to unscramble my frequent errors. And add things to make my life easier which were defintiely not in the box. I remember going to a large cemetery armed with a fh named list to search out details of Jewish refugees who arrived here in London with very common names.

Mike soon produced a screen showing quick family facts which lays out families with all the in laws surnames visible in the manner of TMG.
I dont know what this utility is called and admittedly I dont use it so much there days as I have become accustomed to using the fh instant diagram view instead. But at the time all these customisations and adjustments were wonderful, they made my work easier and I remain deeply grateful. I am easily confused but never once heard a word of blame.