* New user needs mentor with FTM 2019 and TNG experience

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
allenawilson
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

New user needs mentor with FTM 2019 and TNG experience

Post by allenawilson »

I have been using FTM for years and recently started a website using TNG. I would like to convert to Family Historian (mainly because it appears to make things easier), but want to do it right the first time. I need someone with FTM 2019 and TNG experience to guide me. I'm very familiar with FTM 2019, have a little experience with TNG, and almost none with Family Historian 6.2.7.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: New user needs mentor with FTM 2019 and TNG experience

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG.

From my experience in this forum, I don't think there are many (if any) users with both FTM 2019 and TNG experience.

So it might be easier to break down the mentoring process into a number of smaller steps.
  1. Building familiarity with Family Historian features ~ many can help with that.
  2. Migrating your FTM 2019 project to Family Historian once ~ several users have trodden that path and there are Knowledge Base articles and tools to help.
  3. Exporting the Family Historian project to TNG from time to time ~ several users perform that process regularly and there are Knowledge Base articles and tools to help.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
allenawilson
Platinum

Post by allenawilson »

Mr. Tate, thanks for the quick reply. I can do as you suggested. Since I have your attention, I will ask a couple of questions. It's my understanding that you can export a gedcom file from Family Historian with the media attached. Not just the links. Is that correct? And that the "Export Gedcom File" plugin will resize all the media if desired? Allen.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that is more or less correct. I wrote that plugin, and it is regularly used by those who export to TNG.
It uses the popular structure of a GEDCOM file with Media links to separate files.
That structure is supported by most PC based products and also TNG for importing & exporting projects.
The exceptions are online products such as Ancestry, FindMyPast & ZoomPast that do not bulk transfer the image files.

The general details of the plugin are at plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:export_gedcom_file|> Export Gedcom File Plugin.
The specific TNG mode is described at plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:tng_the_next_generation|> Export Gedcom File ~ (TNG) The Next Generation.

For advice on using Plugins in general see plugins:about#downloading_and_using_plugins|> Downloading and Using Plugins.

That is one topic in how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers which starts with suggested Documentation & Tutorials and the Family Historian Sample Project.

A stumbling block for some users is the strategy for Source Citations, which in FH follows the GECOM model, and is significantly different from the FTM 2019 model, so see the Sources Methods 1 & 2 topic.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
allenawilson
Platinum

Post by allenawilson »

Thanks for your help. Allen.