* Imported GEDCOM with photos from MyHeritage has inconsistent metadata

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
ncabell
Family Historian: V6.2

Imported GEDCOM with photos from MyHeritage has inconsistent metadata

Post by ncabell »

My current FH project was based on an import from a gedcom exported from a MyHeritage project. I am in the process of migrating.
The gedcom project subfolder in MyHeritage contains all the photos, and FH shows proper URLs to reference this subfolder sometimes but some media files are represented as being in the FH project itself.
Did this split approach result from me not using the plugin referenced in this article?
https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?i ... edcom_file
I was not able to understand why I should use this plugin nor how to access /install it (I'm new to FH).
Is there a simple way I can now migrate all media files to the new FH project?

Nick
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Imported GEDCOM with photos from MyHeritage has inconsistent metadata

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Nick.

The Plugin you mention is for the reverse process of exporting from FH and into MyHeritage.

Please see how_to:import_from_myheritage|> Import from MyHeritage (MYH) which advises using Family Tree Builder.
Is that what you did?

If you create a Project from the GEDCOM then all the Media files should be copied into the FH Project folder.

You also mention 'URL', which are web site addresses, and FH does not handle those as Media files.
The Media files must exist on the PC with a folder path & filename in the GEDCOM.

Your posting Subject also mentions 'metadata' but you don't explain the problem.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ncabell

Post by ncabell »

Mike,
I did indeed do the export from FTB and can see that the photos subfolder was created and added to the FH project. What I am confused about is how these pics are referenced and managed within FH. Here are 2 screenshots of images from the FH Media menu link:

The first record is of a .jpg presumably stored in the MyHeritage project subfolder. Notice that there is no rendering of the image itself to the right. Also the type is undetermined ("other media"). And I cannot find any such image of that name in the directory.

The second record is clearly stored within the FH project and it is properly typed, titled, etc.

Since all of the records were exported at the same time, why do they get treated differently? How might I clean up these records?
ncabell

Post by ncabell »

. . . and perhaps someone can explain to me how to include images or screenshots with my posts.
I used the img tags with enclosed URL pointing to a shared photo. It does not render though.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Did you read Please read BEFORE posting (11070)?
That refers to how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers which in the Introduction says:
"see info:forums|> Forums Usage Tips for posting questions, replies, screenshots, etc."
There under Posting Topics it explains how to use the ATTACHMENTS tab below the message text box.
ncabell

Post by ncabell »

Mike, thank you for the gentle pointer on how to post messages.

I'm largely repeating the previous post but this time with screen shots attached inline.

The first FH media record is of a .jpg presumably stored in the MyHeritage project subfolder. Notice that there is no rendering of the image itself to the right. Also the type is undetermined ("other media"). And I cannot find any such image of that name in the directory.
Screenshot 2020-11-16 152438.png
Screenshot 2020-11-16 152438.png (110.11 KiB) Viewed 3409 times
The second record is clearly stored within the FH project and it is properly typed, titled, etc. This image is locateable.
Screenshot 2020-11-16 152547.png
Screenshot 2020-11-16 152547.png (118.44 KiB) Viewed 3409 times
Since all of the records were exported at the same time, why do they get treated differently? How might I clean up these records of photos that no longer appear to exist?

Nick
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Let me deal with the second kind of satisfactory Media record & file first.
It has a Title field and File link to image file P25_3120_4160.jpg that has a .jpg image file type.
That agrees with the Format field and Keywords field.
FH found that file in C:\Users\cabel\Documents\MyHeritage\5026..._Photos\ and copied it into the Project.

The first kind of Media record is very different.
It has no Title and the File link refers to file P74. that has no file type so its format is undetermined.
Presumably the file C:\Users\cabel\Documents\MyHeritage\5026..._Photos\P74. does not exist so FH cannot copy it.
Since it does not exist it cannot be rendered so FH shows the box with a cross, which is the broken File link icon.

That odd Media record, and others like it, exist in FH because MyHeritage exported them in the GEDCOM file.
FH is good at faithfully importing everything provided and reporting anything it alters.

You can find what other records use those 'broken' Media records. I can see each is used just once by the Links column.
Double-left-click any one of the Media records to open its Property Box.
The Links tab identifies the parent record that links to the Media record.
Double-left-click the name of that parent record to show its Property Box.
Repeat the process by double-left-clicking any other Media record, and so on...
Does that give any more clues why those 'broken' Media records exist?

If they are of no use then they can easily be deleted as explained in how_to:delete_a_large_number_of_records|> Delete Any Number of Records.