* Best way to make a change of ancestor(s)

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
peterbel
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Best way to make a change of ancestor(s)

Post by peterbel »

I have found that with recent research what I think is a better match for a 5 times grandfather.
I have added him to FH along with his wife and some of his ancestors, a new part tree.
I would now like to replace 5x grandfather with this new data, what would be the best way?
I thought it might be possible to substitute the two respective record numbers but cannot see a way of doing that.
Thanks
Tracing the Devon Bellamy family along with their partners.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Best way to make a change of ancestor(s)

Post by tatewise »

It depends on what you want to do with the old 5xgrandfather and perhaps his wife?

They are associated with each other and their children (one of whom is your ancestor) in a Family record containing HUSBand, WIFE, and CHILd links. That Family record may also hold Marriage events, etc.

Anyway, probably the easiest method (if there are not too many children) is to use the Focus Window.
Bring the old 5xgrandfather into focus so his children are listed below.
Right-click each child in turn and choose Unlink Record making a note of the Record Id of each one.

Now bring the new 5xgrandfather into focus and use the Add Child link below to link each child unlinked above. Knowing the Record Id will help locate them.

Do you plan to delete the old 5xgrandfather and his wife and ancestors?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Miketate, far be it from me to correct you, but isn’t it simpler to unlink the son from the wrong parents, and then attach him to the new parents? By unlinking him, you atomatically unlink both his wrong parents and all his wrongs ‘siblings’ at same time.
I.e. leave the old family alone, and simply remove the son and attach him to his new family.
Or have I misunderstood the problem. I have assumed that with the wrong parents he also has wrong siblings
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

Thanks Mike that seems a neat way to do it.
I will keep the original data, it maybe useful in the future if more information comes to light. I think I have said before I use FH as my only data repository.
And of course I can't be certain that I am making the correct choice, it just seems more likely than my original. Corroborative evidence is almost impossible to find for these very early records.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Mike Loney and I are both potentially correct.
( BTW: The 4xgrandparent ancestor may be either a son or a daughter of the 5xgrandfather. )

Which children need adjusting depends on whether the sibling relationship or the parent-child relationship is proven.
So yes, only the 4xancestor & proven siblings need to use Unlink Record and be linked to the new 5xgrandparent.
Sorry for any possible confusion.
Peter is now going to tell us that there was only one child anyway, so the other options are all mute.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

Mikes (!)
As I have worked backwards from myself through known ancestors I am as confident as I can be that up to 5x grandfather is correct, it is just beyond that I want to change. The unlinking process is between him and his wrong parents and then re-linking his correct(!) parents, does that clarify? I understand the process described and now done it, so thanks.

I haven't gone sideways at these levels much, that is to come, concentrated on the direct line and spouses. Hope it doesn't reveal more alternatives!