* Export GEDCOM File - Roots Magic - question on address and places

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
BillH
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Export GEDCOM File - Roots Magic - question on address and places

Post by BillH »

Mike,

I am using the Export GEDCOM File plugin to export to Roots Magic and have a question related to Places and Addresses.

After importing the GEDCOM into RM, all of the places are shown in the place list, but there are no addresses in the address list.

The addresses do seem to be included in RM, but they are shown in the Place Details field of the place "record".

I looked at the help for RM, but couldn't find anything on what the difference is between adresses and place details.

Do you know what the difference is? Also, why FH's addresses are not included in RM's address list?

Thanks!
Bill
Last edited by BillH on 18 Nov 2020 01:50, edited 1 time in total.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Export Gedcom File - Roots Magic - question on address and places

Post by tatewise »

The plugin does nothing to the standard GEDCOM Fact Address (ADDR) field for RootsMagic.
It appears to import as expected into the Place details (address, hospital, cemetery, etc.) for each Fact.
Each Place can be associated with multiple Place details. See the Lists > Place Lists that has a Place details section.
I suspect the Address Lists you are looking at are associated with People rather than Facts.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BillH
Megastar

Re: Export Gedcom File - Roots Magic - question on address and places

Post by BillH »

I see. I didn't think of that. I believe you are right. The help was not all that helpful initially, but I did find where it says that addresses are associated with and individual or couple either in the database or not. They are not associated with facts.

Thanks,
Bill