* Problem with Flags & Fact Address

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
ColinBeaver
Diamond
Family Historian: V6.2

Problem with Flags & Fact Address

Post by ColinBeaver »

I have been using Family Historian for a number of years and have a few tree - using FH6

I have found on one tree the additional information, as seen on the attached.

These are Flags appear as ZZ items under facts and the address is repeated in the notes window.

For the latter I can do a work around to delete the Fact Address by using find and replace. This is long and tedious.

Similarly I can find and delete the "ZZ" items individually, but again rather long and tedious.

I have two question
Have I accidently changed any setting to result in the additions.
Is there a quick way to delete them.

Any ideas would be great.

Regards
Attachments
ZZ Fact.jpg
ZZ Fact.jpg (54.87 KiB) Viewed 6713 times
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Problem with Flags & Fact Address

Post by tatewise »

Colin, I suspect this is related to your other problem Exporting to Ancestry Error (18182).

Those unusual custom ZZ Facts are produced by the Export Gedcom File plugin when exporting to a product that does not recognise FH record Flags (i.e. most products) so that target product shows where those Flags were.

You have subsequently created a Project in FH from such a GEDCOM that was not intended for FH.
It is going to continually give you problems if you regularly create Projects from GEDCOM destined for other products.

You can easily delete all the dummy ZZ Facts using the File > Split Tree Helper but what else in the Project is not intended to be in an FH Project?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColinBeaver
Diamond

Post by ColinBeaver »

Hello Mike

Thank you for your help.

This is in my Kendrick&Bates Tree which I have also the attached problem.

Tracking backing through my backup, this probelm origaned around 2018.

Thanks
Attachments
FactAddress.jpg
FactAddress.jpg (75.64 KiB) Viewed 6643 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that form of labelled Note is typically what the Export Gedcom File plugin uses to export to products that don't support the Address field, which is quite a few.
So that reaffirms that you used such a GEDCOM to create that Project.
I assume it is a Project and not a free-standing GEDCOM file?
Do you know how to tell the difference by checking the top line of the main FH window and also whether it is listed in the Project Window?
ColinBeaver
Diamond

Post by ColinBeaver »

Hello Mike

Looking back on the history of the Kendrick&Bates file, is was originally a downloaded gedcom file from "genesreunited" back in 2013. It was uploaded in Family Historian and research spasmodically.

I first export the file to create a copy, to avoided losing data in my original file. After deleting living relatives etc, I export, using the plugin to produce a standalone gedcom file. ( it does not appear in the Project Window).

I hope this helps
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I suspect that at somehow you have accidentally used the GEDCOM file created by the Export Gedcom File plugin.
Anyway, you are where you are and I suspect the corrections needed will be the same for at least the two problematic Projects Hopkins& O'Malley and Kendrick&Bates.
So do you want to proceed with instructions for the fixes in this thread or the Exporting to Ancestry Error (18182) thread because I don't want to repeat them?
ColinBeaver
Diamond

Post by ColinBeaver »

Hello Mike

Any help to solve the problem in both my tree would be most welcome.

Thanks & Regards
Colin
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, so the first adjustment is to remove the redundant dummy Source record Citations derived from Place records.
BUT before doing that make sure you have a current Full Backup of your Project just in case things go awry.

In the Records Window, select the Sources tab and click on the Source Records column header to sort into order.
Open the Named List pane by clicking the Named Lists Pane button to the right of the main toolbar.
Choose an empty Named List in the Named List pane, i.e. one with 0 Items.

Select all the records whose Title starts with Ω Place Record: and any that start with Ω Named List:
( In some Projects, they may start with ZZ instead of the Ω omega character. )
i.e. Select the 1st one, then hold down the Shft key while selecting the last one, so they are all highlighted blue.
Now click the Add to Current List green arrow button to the right of the main toolbar.

All the chosen records should now be listed in the Named List on the right.
Now use the Lists command in main menu and choose Delete Named List Records....
Check the popup CAUTION, tick I understand that ... records will be deleted and click Delete Records.

Repeat the above process for each Project that has similarly Titled Source records.

From now on you will not get strange numbers added to Place names when uploaded to Ancestry.
ColinBeaver
Diamond

Post by ColinBeaver »

Hello Mike

With your help, I have cleared the error with my Hopkins&O'Malley tree.

Have you any advice on how to cleared the Fact address in the Notes with my Kendrick&Bates tree.

It would no be the end of the world if I deleted all the notes on block.

Thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Have you checked any other Projects for unwanted Ω Place Record: and Ω Named List: Source records?

I can give you instructions to remove the Fact Address: labelled Notes.
(From your screenshot it seems unnecessary to move the labelled address back into the Address field.)

It is also easy to remove unwanted events such as ZZ __BATES and ZZ __LIVING but for each of those do actual Record Flags need to be reinstated?
ColinBeaver
Diamond

Post by ColinBeaver »

"Have you checked any other Projects for unwanted Ω Place Record: and Ω Named List: Source records?" - I have checked and removed this in my trees

"I can give you instructions to remove the Fact Address: labelled Notes." - It would be great if you could help to remove these in my Kendrick& Bates tree.

Thanks adian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, to remove the Fact Address: labelled Notes use the Search and Replace plugin.
Set the Search Scope to All Records & Events/Attributes
On the Extra Filters tab ensure that only Note fields is ticked with Fact Notes (~Fact.NOTE) chosen.
On the Major Options tab ensure LUA Pattern Mode and Show White Space are chosen.
Now the tricky bit is to set Search : box to Fact Address: then tab character », open square bracket, up arrow, new line ¶, close square bracket, plus sign, new line ¶ & question mark like the screenshot below or copy the CODE below and paste with Ctrl+V.
Then use the Search & Replace button and when Replacements look OK untick Confirm every item found.

Code: Select all

Fact Address:	[^
]+
?
FactAddressMajor.png
FactAddressMajor.png (33.82 KiB) Viewed 6204 times

FactAddressExtras.png
FactAddressExtras.png (61.22 KiB) Viewed 6204 times

To delete the dummy Flag Events use the File > Split Tree Helper and ensure all options are like below.
The only delete option is Delete all facts listed below and use Edit List... to select all the Ω or ZZ __FLAGNAME facts.
Finally click Delete button. If anything does not look correct then use the Edit > Undo options before saving.

SplitTreeHelper.png
SplitTreeHelper.png (39.61 KiB) Viewed 6204 times
ColinBeaver
Diamond

Post by ColinBeaver »

Hello Mike

Removing the Flags worked a treat.

No such luck with removing Fact Address.

I downloaded the Search & Replace Plugin to ensure I had the lastet version - 22 July 2019.

I set the Major Option & Extra Filter - see attached.

After clicking on "Search & Replace" said No Data Replaced. I closed FH and reloaded the file as a checked but Fact Address had not been removed.

Any advice please.

Thanks
Attachments
ResultScreenPrint.jpg
ResultScreenPrint.jpg (8.5 KiB) Viewed 6131 times
ExtraFiltersScreenPrint.jpg
ExtraFiltersScreenPrint.jpg (116.47 KiB) Viewed 6131 times
MajorOptionScreenPrint.jpg
MajorOptionScreenPrint.jpg (79.14 KiB) Viewed 6131 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You overlooked the colon : after Fact Address in the Search box.
ColinBeaver
Diamond

Post by ColinBeaver »

Hello Mike

All problems thanks to your help, have been successfuly sorted.

Thank you for the tutorial in understanding a bit more on the nuts and bolts of FH.

It was also useful in understanding the limitations of Ancestry data handling.

Regards
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, just take great care in future to avoid creating a Project from a GEDCOM file produced in the ...\Public\Export\ folder by the Export Gedcom File Plugin.
The only other way such unusual items could get into your Projects is by creating the Project from a GEDCOM exported from say Ancestry, where the Ancestry Family Tree was originally derived from the Export Gedcom File plugin, i.e. you have gone full circle from FH via Export Gedcom File to Ancestry and then back to FH.