* Ancestral Sources - Remove Flag Support?

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Ancestral Sources - Remove Flag Support?

Post by NickWalker »

I'd like to remove the support for creating flags in the next version of Ancestral Sources (and also the Census Date Check and Flag Check processes). The main reason for having flags in the first version of Ancestral Sources was to allow for the icons to be added to tree diagrams. But since FH v4 there have been other ways to add icons to trees without using Flags. As the Using Flags and Icons Knowledge Base article says "The Census Flag & Date Tools tutorial explains how Ancestral Sources supports Flags in conjunction with Census entries, although since ƒh V4, as explained below, this feature is somewhat redundant". So that suggests the feature has been unnecessary for 10 years!

So if anyone would be upset to see the flag support disappear from AS, please can you offer a persuasive argument for me to keep the feature?

Thanks

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Valkrider
Megastar

Re: Ancestral Sources - Remove Flag Support?

Post by Valkrider »

Nick

Even though V4 was my first experience of FH and AS I have never used AS flags so will not miss them.
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

I am the same Nick.
I switched over to using expressions a long time ago. and I have only used the Census date checker once or twice.

Keep up the good work.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

No objections from me, Nick.
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

I do use flags, but to be honest the only consistency is that derived by using AS. I would miss that but it is not a deal breaker 😊
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have no objection.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

I don't use any of these so would be fine with their removal.

Bill
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

No problem. I used them at one time, but not any more.
Lorna
sgauntlett
Platinum

Post by sgauntlett »

I do use the flags and icons in diagrams and find it useful for Ancestral Sources to set this for all individuals mentioned in the Census returns. I guess there are other ways to add but I would miss the feature.
Can it be made optional?
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

sgauntlett, I think Nick wants to remove the code to make the application simpler to maintain, so making it optional wouldn't be possible if he did that.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

sgauntlett, have you reviewed Using Flags and Icons Knowledge Base article that explains how you can dispense with record Flags for Census years altogether and use nine simple Expressions instead.
The big advantage is that once those Expressions are set up, you never have to maintain those Flags ever again.
Those record Flags can all be deleted, because the Expressions automatically add the Icons as soon as the Census Events exist.

I can explain the process if the Knowledge Base advice does not give enough clues.
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

Never used the flags so have no idea how useful they are. In anycase I have better use of my time than bother with flags

Victor
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 21 Sep 2020 19:26 sgauntlett, I think Nick wants to remove the code to make the application simpler to maintain, so making it optional wouldn't be possible if he did that.
In the next version there can be categories within 'Census' so, for example, you could have UK Voting List or 1939 Register, and this complicates the Flag situation. It wouldn't be impossible to solve obviously but it may take time and I felt that removing the flag support would save me having to solve it! I will certainly remove the 'Flag Check' and 'Census Date Check' tools I think whatever happens.
Nick Walker

sgauntlett
Platinum

Post by sgauntlett »

I have created "expressions" for the census date events so removed the need for those flags. It would be nice if they could be grouped in the Boxes Condition as the flags are though to make it tidier.

However, what about BMD certificates? I also use flags and icons for those. Can an expression be used? Sometimes, I might know the dates and places but not actually have a copy of the certificate so need to differentiate.

The last flag/icon I use is Twin. Any thoughts on that one if i don't know the date of birth yet but know they were twins?

Thanks,
Simon
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Boxes tab has up/down black arrows to let you order the Conditions any way so they are in logical groups.

The how_to:using_flags_and_icons_and_expressions|> Using Flags and Icons and Expressions has Worked Examples of how to check Source Citations for such as BMD Certificates.
e.g.
=ContainsText( %INDI.BIRT.SOUR>TITL%, "Birth Certificate", STD ) checks Source record Title contents
=ContainsText( %INDI.DEAT.SOUR>_TYPE%, "Death Certificate", STD ) checks Source record Type contents
They assume that something as important as a BMD Certificate will always be the 1st Citation.

For something that is not an actual Fact, such as Twins, then a Flag may be the best solution.

BUT we are getting away from the AS Census Flag checks, so this really needs another thread...
sgauntlett
Platinum

Post by sgauntlett »

Thanks Tatewise.

The expression example you gave should work for my BMD needs. So I guess, I'm now happy with the Ancestral Sources removal of flag support :lol:
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

BUT we are getting away from the AS Census Flag checks, so this really needs another thread...
Well actually I was hoping to remove all flag support, including all the sources and not just census. But it sounds like your expressions have satsified Simon :D . I suppose ideally we'll need a page we can point AS users at which explains what to do if they've used flags so far and now need to use expressions.
Nick Walker

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry, the word 'Census' crept in by mistake and should have included all source types.

The advice page to point to will be the new KB equivalent to the how_to:using_flags_and_icons_and_expressions|> Using Flags and Icons and Expressions but revised with some advice on replacing AS Flags with Expressions and providing a set of examples for each AS source type.
PyreneesPirate
Famous

Post by PyreneesPirate »

Nick Walker wrote: "Well actually I was hoping to remove all flag support, including all the sources and not just census. But it sounds like your expressions have satsified Simon :D . I suppose ideally we'll need a page we can point AS users at which explains what to do if they've used flags so far and now need to use expressions."
Hi again,

I tried to take the first step in upgrading today. I was going to upgrade to AS7 as I like the product and it seems easy to use, but before I did I had a little read of the last weeks topics re FH7 and AS7.

Like the user sgauntlett above I use Flags and Icons extensively and I understand that there has been some changes in how AS7 works in this respect. I viewed the link re changing to from flags to expressions and I copied the code for the 1901 census and created an expression........the flag tabs seem to disappear from the Diagram Options Boxes.......then I thought hold on a minute, do you actually know what you are trying to do? The answer to that is 'not fully'. So I deleted the expression. Is there anywhere that actually shows you how to convert from Flags and Icons to Expressions please? When I looked in the details, it says using Expressions is for advanced users, I am an Intermediate user and a little bit worried about losing all the flags and icons. If I can't sort the Flags / Icons then I don't think I can buy the upgrade.

I really want to upgrade, specifically for the WP bit in Text to Source and I will try the other options over time when I hope there will be a little bit more on line tutoring on the new features.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
PP
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

This Knowledge Base article Using Icons tries to explain this. Have a look through that and see if you can figure it out. If you need more guidance please let me know and I'll work through it myself and see if I can add more guidance.
Nick Walker

PyreneesPirate
Famous

Post by PyreneesPirate »

Hi Nick,

The link doesn't work I'm afraid, but I think I have already viewed the file that you are trying to show me.

Thanks
PP
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

May I add some assistance?

In the Diagram > Boxes tab you will have a Record Flag condition listed under Condition.
Select it and there is a tab for each Census record flag, which in Edit Features... will have an Icon assigned.
( If those Icons are not working in FH v7.0 then your Icon files need relocating. )

Now use << Add Condition > Expression and enter Expression as %INDI.CENS[year=1901]% as described in Using Icons under Worked Examples.
Click OK and you will get the Box Features dialogue where you can select your 1901 Census Icon bottom right.
Repeat the above steps for each Census year.

You will probably get twin Census Icons because both Record Flag and Expression conditions are applied.

When happy, then you can Delete Condition >> the Record Flag condition, eventually delete all the record flags.

The only other consideration is whether you want a more strict Expression that only applies the Icon if there is a Source Citation against the Census Event.
PyreneesPirate
Famous

Post by PyreneesPirate »

I think I have attached a list of ùy Record Flags.....I hope!! It's the main ones, I suppose I need to convert the following?

All the Census options
Bir Cert
Bap Rec
Bir Rec
Death Cert
Death Rec
Headstone = Burial
Marriage Rec
Marriage Cert
Attachments
Record Flags.JPG
Record Flags.JPG (25.89 KiB) Viewed 7774 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

My post of advice is before your latest and deals with the Census flags, we can come back to the others later.
PyreneesPirate
Famous

Post by PyreneesPirate »

Hello Mike and Nick,

Thanks for your help much appreciated. OK I have created the Expressions for each Census 1841 to 1939 and as you correctly said I now have duplicates.

On your other question re Source attached to show, I know why you have asked this question. However, if I have a BMD online entry of a Death Marriage or Birth I still attach a flag to the person, even if I haven't bought the certificate. This happens on more recent entries where I haven't visited the Church in person or do not wish to fork out a tenner or so to buy the certificate. I have separate entries for actual in possession Birth, Marriage and Death Certs and other three signify (in general) Birth Record, Marriage Record, Death Record, when I may have another form of information that applies, like an Obituary, Birth or Marriage notice form a paper etc That's how I can tell the difference when looking at the diagram.

Thanks again