* Using gedcom instead of Project

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Gynesd
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Using gedcom instead of Project

Post by Gynesd »

Mike, here are the screenshots you asked for. Thanks

Project window Windows.PNG
Project window Windows.PNG (134.44 KiB) Viewed 9477 times

ProjectWindowMac.png
ProjectWindowMac.png (153.29 KiB) Viewed 9461 times
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Using gedcom instead of Project

Post by tatewise »

Thank you David.
(For the benefit of others this is a continuation of a groups.io thread, but since screenshots are needed the Forums are better because groups.io attachments are moderated by administrators and take a while to get through.)

Before going any further I need to check that the Media linked to the GEDCOM file are in good shape.
Which GEDCOM has the latest updates? The Windows laptop PC or the Mac Parallels emulator?
Whichever is the latest, open that ...\Dropbox\Gynes Project New GEDCOM as before.
Provide a screenshot of the Tools > External File Links command window enlarged to show as many of the File Links as possible similar to mine shown below.
If necessary, use the scroll bar to scroll down to show later File Links and attach a screenshot of those too.
You can attach up to three screenshots to one posting.

ExternalFileLinks.png
ExternalFileLinks.png (64.66 KiB) Viewed 9461 times
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Gynesd
Gold

Post by Gynesd »

wwelinks 1.PNG
wwelinks 1.PNG (187.58 KiB) Viewed 9346 times
wwwekinks 2.PNG
wwwekinks 2.PNG (238.83 KiB) Viewed 9346 times
wwelinks 3.PNG
wwelinks 3.PNG (270.16 KiB) Viewed 9346 times
Attached first three snips on Working with external File Links. There are dozens more in the list of 'Gedcom Folder - Media' and I'm assuming you don't need to see all those. If I'm wrong of course I'll send them. Otherwise, my next post will only have the last few on that list and the final entries in this box.
David
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

David your screenshots are somewhat puzzling.

In your original posting the GEDCOM files were:
C:\Users\david\Dropbox\Gynes Project New.ged on Windows laptop
C:\Users\davidgynes\Dropbox\Gynes Project New.ged on Mac

In your latest posting the GEDCOM file is:
c:\users\david\dropbox\gynes project new 19.gh_data\gynes project new 19.1.ged

I was expecting a Gynes Project New.ged GEDCOM file.
Why has the GEDCOM file path and name changed from your original posting?

Such inconsistencies without explanation make me uncomfortable about what advice to give you?
Gynesd
Gold

Post by Gynesd »

Mike, I have searched the Widows laptop thoroughly. There are two versions of Gynes New 19 projects, these are the file paths/names of each when opening tools /external links. I cannot explain the differences you mention, nor can I find any freestanding gedcom files. David
Project19.1 11.09.20.PNG
Project19.1 11.09.20.PNG (29.62 KiB) Viewed 9098 times
Project 19 11.09.20.PNG
Project 19 11.09.20.PNG (40.1 KiB) Viewed 9098 times
I will send a scre shot from the version on the Mac in my next post. If any are of use I can expand them. If not we call it a day and give up wasting your time.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Consistency is the name of the game. Please make the Work with External File Links window wider as you did before.
It is difficult to identify what you are posting if you do not expand the width so the full Current Project/GEDCOM Folder file path is shown as you did in your August postings. It also helps me to see as much of the File Links below too.
Gynesd
Gold

Post by Gynesd »

Second post as promised from Mac Air. The only version on this laptop
I will repost Widows versions
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-09-11 at 12.14.42.png
Screenshot 2020-09-11 at 12.14.42.png (419.92 KiB) Viewed 9082 times
Gynesd
Gold

Post by Gynesd »

Second version of previous screen shots, top and bottom of the external links window
Project 19 11.09.20 Ver 2.2 bottom of window.PNG
Project 19 11.09.20 Ver 2.2 bottom of window.PNG (76.61 KiB) Viewed 9076 times
Project 19 11.09.20 Ver 2.1.PNG
Project 19 11.09.20 Ver 2.1.PNG (71.53 KiB) Viewed 9076 times
Gynesd
Gold

Post by Gynesd »

The other project on Windows
Other Project 19 ver 2.1.PNG
Other Project 19 ver 2.1.PNG (93.82 KiB) Viewed 9075 times
Other Project 19 ver 2.1.PNG
Other Project 19 ver 2.1.PNG (93.82 KiB) Viewed 9075 times
Attachments
Other Project 19 ver 2.1 Bottom of window.PNG
Other Project 19 ver 2.1 Bottom of window.PNG (83.12 KiB) Viewed 9075 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thank you for those David. The first thing to understand is the distinction between Project and GEDCOM.

1) Project
The latest three images say Current Project Folder at the top and the file path is:
C:\Users\david\OneDrive\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Gynes Project New 19
That is the standard default FH full file path for a Project called Gynes Project New 19.

Use the FH command File > Project Window and Gynes Project New 19 is listed there.
Underneath, Location: will say My Documents\Family Historian Projects and is where your Projects reside.
That all matches with the Work with External Links entry for Current Project Folder.
Also, at the very top of the FH Window it says - Family Historian Project - do you see all that?

A major component of that Project will be its GEDCOM file that exists within the above path at:
...\Gynes Project New 19.fh_data\Gynes Project New 19.ged

2) GEDCOM
The earlier images say Current GEDCOM Folder at the top and the file path is:
c:\users\david\dropbox\gynes project new 19.fh_data\gynes project new 19.1.ged
That is NOT a Project folder because it does not involve the \Family Historian Projects\ folder.

Use the FH command File > Project Window and gynes project new 19.1 is NOT listed.
So this is a free-standing GEDCOM file although the .fh_data tells me it was once in a Project.
Also, at the very top of the FH Window it says - Family Historian Gedcom - do you see all that?

The Mac screenshot illustrates the same gynes project new 19.1.ged free-standing GEDCOM file.

3) Summary
Now I realise that there are similarities but there also important differences.
Do you see the difference between the Project Gynes Project New 19 and GEDCOM gynes project new 19.1?
The initial capital letters are not important.
What matters is the file path and that one ends with 19 and the other with 19.1

Once you have that distinction clear, then we can move on...
Gynesd
Gold

Post by Gynesd »

Thank you Mike, very clear and I understand now. I have one "proper" Project: C:\Users\david\OneDrive\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Gynes Project New 19

and two "rogue" free standing gedcoms which end in 19.1 and 'ged'

I have identified where the three of them are stored, 2 on Windows laptop and one on Mac.

So far so good

David
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ok, so I now have some questions for you to consider.
  1. Which of those three is the best one to review and tidy up in order to take forward as your primary Project?
  2. Can the other two be discarded and deleted?
  3. In your original posting in early August both the Windows & Mac listed a dozen or more other Projects.
    The list was not the same on both Windows & Mac. So what is the status of those other Projects now?
Gynesd
Gold

Post by Gynesd »

So my question now must be - Can I retrieve the updates I made to the gedcom - 19.1 and transfer them to the proper Project 19?

1 To retain - The proper Project - 19.

2 Yes they can be deleted but my question must be - can I save the updates I have done on them since Project 19 was last updated and transfer that data into 19 before deleting them?

3 I have no problems with the other projects, all functioning properly. The differences on the Windows and Mac are down to the dropbox not syncing - a problem I shall address once the Project issue is resolved
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Do you know which of the two gynes project new 19.1 GEDCOM is the best to take forward as your primary Project?
Is it the one on Windows or the one on the Mac?

Is that 'best' gynes project new 19.1 GEDCOM a direct derivative of the Gynes Project New 19 Project?
i.e.
You haven't updated both the gynes project new 19.1 GEDCOM and the Gynes Project New 19 Project in parallel.
If that GEDCOM were made into a Project would you lose anything from the Gynes Project New 19 Project?
Gynesd
Gold

Post by Gynesd »

Both Gedcoms are equal in that they have been syncing through dropbox but the Windows one would probably be favourite as it is on the same machine as the "proper" Project.

I do not foresee losses from making the gedcom a Project, it has all the data that is in the current Project.

Because of the above I believe it is a derivative.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ok, so just to recap, you now know how to differentiate a Project from a free-standing GEDCOM.
The steps below will create a Project from a free-standing GEDCOM so make a note.

On the Windows PC in FH use the File > Project Window command and click the New Project... button.
Then select Import from a GEDCOM file, click the Browse... button and choose Browse for Gedcom File...
In the Select GEDCOM File dialogue navigate to your preferred free-standing GEDCOM file:
C:\Users\david\dropbox\gynes project new 19.fh_data\gynes project new 19.1.ged

Click the Open button and when the dialogue closes click the Next > button.
Leave the New Project Name as Gynes Project New 19.1 for now and click the Finish button.

That will probably produce a Validating GEDCOM File dialogue.
Pick middle option Each line contains 1 word with a hyphen... and check it says Word-wrapping has been handled corectly
If it doesn't then pick Don't know and let FH work it out. Finally click OK.

I may say that some Media are missing and it can search for them, so say Yes to start the search which may take a while.

It may say that Some issues were logged... but you can click OK and if asked to Validate then click OK again.
Let me know when you get to this stage.
Gynesd
Gold

Post by Gynesd »

Thank you Mike. New Project 19.1 in place.

No validation request and no "logged" comment.

18 broken links - 2 repaired.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Excellent David, please review that Project and check you are happy with all the data.

You can run the Tools > External File Links command as before to identify the 16 broken links that will have X marks.

Please ask if you need any help resolving those 16 broken links.

When things have stabilised, let me know and we can delete the obsolete files and rename the Project if you wish.
Gynesd
Gold

Post by Gynesd »

Thank you Mike, for your patience and the clarity of your instructions.
Gynesd
Gold

Post by Gynesd »

Hello again Mike. Yes please, I would like your help to repair links and tidy up generally.
Attached is a snip from the new Project which I have numbered 20 to avoid confusion with the 19s. It appears to show that the broken links are mostly from defunct projects and I don't know why they would show up there anyway.
Gynes Project New 20 Ext Links.PNG
Gynes Project New 20 Ext Links.PNG (82.5 KiB) Viewed 7881 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Hi David.
They are not really defunct Projects but an arbitrary collection of folders and files outside your Project.
They 'show up' because Media records in your Project link to them by the explicit paths shown.

Referring back to your posting on Fri 11th Sep 2020 13:07, most of those files are on your Mac Air.
The only exceptions are the Welcome and Blessing.doc files.

They were probably added to the Project on the Mac Air but external files like that don't migrate from computer to computer.
All files need to be inside the Project's data folder Media subfolder.

The following steps should resolve the other files:
  1. Copy those 4 files from the Mac Air onto the Windows PC, but save them inside your new Project in its Media folder at:
    C:\...OneDrive\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Gynes Project New 20\Gynes Project New 20.fh_data\Media
  2. I suggest you also move the Edmund G bur Stanway 1702 3.tiff file into that same Media folder too.
    But you must also rename it or delete it from the \Dropbox\Masterfile 06 -16.fh_data\Media folder path.
    Otherwise, FH will continue to insist on keeping it at the external location.
  3. Then in Tools > External File Links use the Auto Repair Links button.
    That should adjust those five File Links so they appear under the Project Data Folder - Media.
I cannot help with the Welcome and Blessing.doc file unless you can find it on the Mac Air somewhere.

I notice that there has been a history of using Dropbox and OneDrive to sync the Windows PC with the Mac Air.
Currently, all your Projects are in the OneDrive folder on PC so need OneDrive to be working to sync with the Mac.
Before experimenting with syncing I strongly advise you backup all your Projects outside the OneDrive folder.
Gynesd
Gold

Post by Gynesd »

Hello Mike,
I attach snips of the top and bottom of the 'Working with External Links' page. I hope you will agree that it looks a lot better than the first ones I sent you. I have been through every entry in my Media page, restoring links, removing duplicates and generally tidying up. (A mission I would not have embarked on without your help and advice, so thank you again.)
I assume I can now delete all but the most recent back ups of my projects and get rid of them from Dropbox to reduce clutter on my laptop?
David
External link 6.10.20 Project Gynes New 20.PNG
External link 6.10.20 Project Gynes New 20.PNG (418.53 KiB) Viewed 7408 times
External Links Project Gynes New 20 (end of).PNG
External Links Project Gynes New 20 (end of).PNG (287.05 KiB) Viewed 7408 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, David that looks somewhat better than when we started, and you could delete older backups and any other clutter.

However, I notice that there appear to be a great many duplicated records & files with filenames ending with (2).
You can eliminate those by following the steps below...

Ensure you have a Full Project Backup of the current Gynes Project New 20.
  1. Download & run the Check for Possible Duplicate Media plugin from the Plugin Store.
    That should produce a Result Set listing pairs of Media records that link to duplicated files.
  2. Drag your cursor across the first pair of side by side cells in the Result Set to select them.
    Then use the Edit > Merge/Compare Record command to merge those two chosen Media records.
  3. Repeat for the next pair of Media records in the Result Set, until completed.
    If you need a break, then you can close the Result Set and run the plugin again later from step 1. above..
That will leave half the duplicated media files orphaned and unlinked to any Media record.
  1. So, download & run the Check for Unlinked Media plugin from the Plugin Store.
    Initially choose the List Unlinked Media option to let you review the files.
  2. If satisfied that they are all duplicates, then run plugin again with the Delete Unlinked Media option.
  3. Otherwise, run the plugin with the Move Unlinked Media option and choose where to move them.
    Then you can review them at your leisure.
Gynesd
Gold

Post by Gynesd »

Thank you Mike, a job for another rainy holiday day I reckon.

Best wishes

David