* Recording Scottish "Tee" names

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
GeorgeJ
Platinum
Family Historian: V6.2

Recording Scottish "Tee" names

Post by GeorgeJ »

Hi All,

I would like to know how folk record "Tee" names. They are very common in N E Scotland. I tend to add them to their regular names, as in - John Doe "Downey", but is there a more useful way of handling them. Bearing in mind they seem to be used more often to identify family lines, rather than individuals, they are not really "Nicknames" or "Given names used". As the definition below states "Tee" names often appear on official records.

Any suggestions ?

George

A definition on Rootschat -

To-names or T-names

To-names or T-names meaning 'other names' or nicknames, were prevalent particularly in the fishing communities of North East Scotland, but were also seen in the Borders and to a lesser extent in the West Highlands.

In those areas where a relatively small number of surnames were in use, T-names were tacked on to the name to distinguish individuals with the same surname and forename. The nickname may have referred to a distinguishing feature or be the name of the fishing boat on which the person was employed. These T-names have made their way into the records. For example, amongst the numerous John Cowies of Buckie can be found fisherman John Cowie Carrot who married Isabella Jappie of Cullen in 1892. Was this perhaps a reference to the colour of his hair?

The T-name appears on a statutory results page in brackets in order to distinguish it from a middle name for example James (Rosie) Cowie, James (Bullen) Cowie, Jessie (Gyke) Murray, and may be designated in inverted commas on the image of the actual entry.
wulliam
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Re: Recording Scottish "Tee" names

Post by wulliam »

Hi,

In NW Scotland these are known as by-names. I've set up a fact called 'Byname' and enter the name there for anyone who I know used it. A man having the name didn't automatically pass it to all his children, so I only add it where I have evidence. I don't use reports very often, but have set my diagrams up to show the byname just below the formal name.

My g-grandfather was Donald 'Russell' MacLeod because he worked in Russell's shop in Stornoway...his youngest son was known as Sandy Russell, and the name has been passed to his younger son. No-one else in the family has the name.

My main paternal line is from Moray, but I hadn't heard of T-names before...thanks for the information!
William
themoudie
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Post by themoudie »

Aye GeorgeJ,

I would agree with "Wulliam", having worked over much of Scotland since 1973, these additional "names" often relate to the place from which the person comes or a particular trait, mannerism they have and I have always known them as "bynames". e.g. Willie 'Skye' and his son Lachie 'Skye', surname Macdonald. As always, some were less than complimentary and only used when not in the company of the recipient, but everybody knew to whom you were refering. ;)

Good health, Myreside
GeorgeJ
Platinum
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by GeorgeJ »

Hi Wulliam and themoudie,

Thanks for your comments. I'll try the Fact based method and let you know how it goes.

The useful reference book, "A closer look at Tee-Names and Trade Advertisements" by David L Fowler, list hundreds of "Tee" Names. I obtained my copy from the Buckie & District Fishing Heritage Centre.

It states that - between 1833 and 1900 four forenames (in descending order) John, James, William and Alexander represented 80% of the male population in the fishing villages along the Moray Banff coast. For anyone researching George Cowie in Buckie, there has been more than 25 of them and the name is not even one of the most popular list above, would best include reference to an associated "Tee" name - Carrot, Doodle, Big Lugs, Beauty, Bam, Helldom, Collop, Stoattie, Snuffers, Rochie, Toothie, Todlowrie, etc..

George