* Diagrams

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Buzby
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

Diagrams

Post by Buzby »

I wish to print an ancestor diagram as a drop down or portrait, not a landscape.

I have searched for and read everything on diagrams and it appears this is not possible.

Have I missed something?

Thanks. :)
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: Diagrams

Post by Jane »

Have you tried Diagram>Options and selecting Left Right or Right Left for direction, or using a Fan Chart, or using fhugdownloads:contents:compact_ancestors_diagram_v5|> Diagram Type ~ Compact Ancestor Tree
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ancestor Diagrams tend to be wider than they are tall so default to Landscape printout orientation.

As Jane suggests, try some alternative options to get a taller narrower layout.

Use the Diagram > Options > Print tab to change printout Orientation: to Portrait.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Buzby
Silver

Post by Buzby »

Many thanks.

I shall do as you both suggest, but I don't believe this will achieve the result I desire.

If I may be bold, may I suggest this is something the software designers consider as an update.

The descending tree (portrait) will hang well when framed, on a wall in a home. Spread out as it is would take up some room especially when one can go back six or seven generations.
Buzby
Silver

Post by Buzby »

I have achieved a result, not exactly what I was after, but all things being considered I am pleased.

Again, thank you both for the guidance.

Very much appreciated. :)
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

The left right and right left diagrams were already on the View>Standard Diagrams menu.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Perhaps you could explain in detail what would be your ideal diagram style, so we can give a better response.
Buzby
Silver

Post by Buzby »

Good Morning

Like a water fall, or pouring water out of a kettle or jug.

Put the first person at the very top left hand corner of the diagram and then add each generation, tabbing out as one moves down the diagram.

This format takes up less space, and is easier on the eye to read. Like reading a book, you start with the first line, move to the second, third and so on, moving down the page as you go.

Please understand this is only a suggestion not a complaint. I have been using Family Historian and its predecessor for years (28 in total) and still find it the best software on the market. PS Looking forward to version 7.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I am not sure how that works with multiple descendant branches.
Here are two examples quickly produced uisng the Family Historian Sample Project and both using Movement Control Box to move generations sideways.
1) Tools > How Related diagram with direct line in red and omitting siblings.
2) Standard Descendant Diagram with direct line in red, but not all descendant branches have been expanded.
I don't see how this takes up less space than the original Descendant Diagram.

DirectLineWaterfall.png
DirectLineWaterfall.png (110.17 KiB) Viewed 4636 times
DescendantWaterfall.png
DescendantWaterfall.png (116.29 KiB) Viewed 4636 times
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I have never seen a Waterfall for Ancestors, you can do descendant waterfalls, by using keep near parents on a right left diagram for the oldest child in each generation, but I am not sure how clear an ancestor one would be unless you don't follow all lines.
Jane