* Back up to external drive

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
GeorgeBush
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Back up to external drive

Post by GeorgeBush »

I want to do a full backup of my principal FH Project to a Toshiba 64GB USB Memory Stick, but when I do File>backup/restore >Backup Options>Full backup, I am offered only the location of my small backups and no obvious way of changing it to E:Toshiba. E:Toshiba with its current contents is clearly visible in Windows Explorer.
I know I have done this before - to a different memory stick that I have since lost - but I have no recollection of how I did it. Unfortunately, like me, my current laptop is showing signs of reaching its 'sell by' date, so the situation is becoming critical and I would appreciate any help that is available.
I am using Windows 7 and FH V.6.2.7
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Back up to external drive

Post by tatewise »

Having chosen Backup Options you could alter the Default Backup Folder at the top to select E:Toshiba.

But instead of that, just use the File > Backup/Restore > Full Backup command and choose where to Save it.

BTW: Are all your Media files within the Project or external?
If external then that FH Backup does NOT include them.

Don't forget to use the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings Plugin to preserve all customisations.

If the laptop is in trouble you need to backup all your Documents, Pictures, etc, as well as FH or consider synchronising it all onto cloud storage such as OneDrive, Google Drive, DropBox, etc.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
GeorgeBush
Gold

Post by GeorgeBush »

I have finally found how to make my default backup location E:\ and the default backup a full one, but when I close FH, I am always offered only the gedcom option. When I do file>backup/restore>.... I cannot select either full or medium backup. I suspect that I have messed up the file structure big time, although I do not know how, so since I still have my V.6 upgrade CD and the relevant key, I wonder if it would be possible to restore the correct settings by over-writing my current installation with the upgrade - saving the gedcom file first, of course?
The few pictures and documents I have are all saved within the project. It would not be a huge task to mend any broken links. Apart from a few instances where I have changed the word 'probated' to 'proved' or 'cause of death' to 'killed in action', I have no customised settings, charts, etc.
Alternatively, I could make my intended purchase of a new computer sooner rather than later, install a new copy of FH V.6 , import the gedcom file from the memory stick, and keep my fingers crossed in the meantime.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

There is no need to reinstall FH as I don't think there is a problem with the program.
(Anyway, I would advise against using your CD version.)

The reason you are only offered GEDCOM backups is that you are not opening a Project, but a free-standing GEDCOM file.
At the very top of the FH window, it says - Family Historian Gedcom - instead of Project.
I now see that was behind the problem you described in your original posting, but I misunderstood.

You clearly think it should be a Project, so the file structure has been upset and needs repairing immediately.
I can help with that but need details of where you keep your Projects and a Project Name would be helpful.

What I also advise is that you check you know both your FH V5 and FH V6 licence keys.
You will need both to install FH on the new PC, which would be a good move.

BTW: Customisations also include Tools > Preferences settings, any Queries or Plugins you have downloaded, those Fact definitions you say you changed, Records Window columns you may have added, etc.
GeorgeBush
Gold

Post by GeorgeBush »

Thanks for that. I had spotted that I was opening a Gedcom file, but assumed it was within the appropriate project. According to Windows Explorer, the file path is Libraries/Documents/My Documents/Family Historian Projects/My Family/MyFamily.fh.data/MyFamily.ged, where My Family is the project name. It may or may not be significant, but the gedcom file appears only as a file within the data file. It is not included in the hierarchy along with charts, media, etc. There are several other projects but they can all be deleted as they were bits of research I did for friends and don't impinge on My Family.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The file path to My Family.ged essentially looks correct, although there are some inconsistencies regarding the space between My and Family. They must all be the same:

...\My Documents\Family Historian Projects\MyFamily\MyFamily.fh_data\MyFamily.ged for project MyFamily
or
...\My Documents\Family Historian Projects\My Family\My Family.fh_data\My Family.ged for project My Family

Presumably, project MyFamily or My Family is not listed in the File > Project Window?

One crucial file is ...\My Documents\Family Historian Projects\MyFamily.fh_proj or My Family.fh_proj
Does that exist?

Are the other 'projects' listed in the File > Project Window?
Do not delete them yet.
GeorgeBush
Gold

Post by GeorgeBush »

The inconsistencies exist only in my last post. Sorry about that. I am usually quite pedantic in such matters, especially where other people's errors are concerned. So it is inexcusable that I should commit the same sin. Please excuse me.
My Family is not listed in File>Project Window although all the other projects are.
A search in Windows Explorer gives 2 versions of My Family.fh_proj, but neither will open and I get an error message saying the file path is not valid. It looks as if the file path should start C:\Users\George\My Documents... Another project that also has the word family in its name is also listed and that opens in FH as a project with the backup procedure apparently fully functional.
I suppose the next problem will be "where are the 2 versions of the"fh_proj" file ?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If you simply try to open any fh_proj file then FH will try to open a Project with the same file path and file name.
So I suspect those files are in C:\Users\George\My Documents\Family Historian Projects which is the default location for Projects when FH is first installed. So look inside the My Family project subfolder at that location.

You seem to have moved your Projects to ...Libraries\Documents\My Documents\Family Historian Projects.
Do you remember doing that? When did you do it? How did you copy/move the projects?
Maybe it was then that the My Family.fh_proj file got overlooked?

If you cannot find and copy the My Family.fh_proj file then there is another way.
Having searched for that file, right-click what File Explorer discovers and use Open with... > Notepad
You may have to use Choose another app in order to find Notepad.
The text should start with [Family Historian]
Use File > Save As... and save it in ...Libraries\Documents\My Documents\Family Historian Projects\My Family with file name: My Family.fh_proj
GeorgeBush
Gold

Post by GeorgeBush »

Found it! It is not in the My Family sub folder but listed with all my projects as if it is a project itself. I'm afraid I have no idea how this happened except that 1 or 2 years ago I spent quite a lot of time moving a few image files so that when I tried to view them in FH they were not crossed out. Putting them back where they belong in due course, should keep me amused for a while.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

So is My Family now listed in the File > Project Window and all the Backup options available?

If you need help with resolving Media file issues then please post a new topic separately.
GeorgeBush
Gold

Post by GeorgeBush »

I'm afraid not. I assume this is because My Family.fh_proj was a file, not a sub folder, in C: Users>George>My Documents>Family Historian Projects. I have dragged and dropped it into the My Family project and My Family is now listed in the project window and opens as a project , with all the backup options available, when I restart FH. Thanks for your help and great patience. If I need to sort out my media, I promise to follow the instructions in FH to the letter.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That was a mixed message starting with "I'm afraid not" and going on to say everything is OK ! ?

My Family.fh_proj is definitely a file and not a sub-folder.
It must exist inside the My Family project folder alongside the Public and My Family.fh_data sub-folders.

Use all your other projects (or the Family Historian Sample Project) as a model of how the structure fits together.

I am happy to help you sort out any Media problems. I'm not sure there are many instructions in FH that help with that.
GeorgeBush
Gold

Post by GeorgeBush »

I did not say everything is OK, but that is the gist of what I said at much greater length. My Family.fh_proj is now where it should be and a random sample of various media suggests everything else is where it should be as well. I have even done a full backup to the memory stick. Once again a mega thank you for your help