* Deaths Data

Got general Family History research questions - this is the place
wellsdc
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Deaths Data

Post by wellsdc »

Hi

Using FH with Find My Past and I'm finding that I can never get very much information surrounding the death of a person - i.e. there will be a list of deaths in a quarter in a particular district but is there any way of drilling down further to see e.g. next of kin or cause or actual location of death?

Thanks

Dave
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Deaths Data

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Typically you can only get that data by ordering a death certificate. There may also be an entry in the Probate Calendar that will give actual date of death and executore details (and the size of the estate).
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Some ways to get help narrow down your choices:

1 Look for a burial record, this may tell you more precisely where and when they died, with a bit more precision than just the Registration district.
2 Look for an entry in the Probate Register. This really does give more information, such as normal abode, where and when they died, and possibly next of kin. Sadly, not everyone was fortunate enough to need probate.
3. For all deaths, use GRO official website, as this gives age at death for all entries, so you can use that to eliminate the rogues.
4. See if they are in anyones on-line tree, in which case they may have the death details, and some even post copies of the death certificate on-line. I confirmed one of my deaths that way, as I spotted the informant on the certificate was a known ancestor of mine.

Apart from these, you’re stuck. If it is for a direct ancestor, you’ll need to take the plunge and purchase some of the certificates to find out the correct one (PDF of course, as they’re cheaper).
Otherwise, you’ll to contend with not knowing.
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
Wilfreda99
Diamond

Post by Wilfreda99 »

Burial records give the date of burial rather than the death date, though they were usually only a few days apart before refrigeration. However people are not always buried where they died or lived. One family in our local churchyard proudly recorded on each headstone 'from xxxxxx', and some of them were miles away. So its worth extending the search area if you don't find them buried in the expected place . I am guessing that most of their family originated in the village so therefore not too difficult to find. But I know of at least 2 people who were buried here for no reason that we can fathom - very intriguing.
wellsdc
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by wellsdc »

Thank you Helen, Mike, Wilfred. You're advice is very welcome.

I have started giving the probate route a look so that is very useful.

GRO - I have now added to my bookmarks so will be giving this a try too.

Many thanks,

Dave