* USB didn't match

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
robynspad@gmail.com
Family Historian: V6

USB didn't match

Post by robynspad@gmail.com »

Only recently purchased Family Historian 6. Trouble putting in key registration with the USB. Several emails, then pH call to UK from Sydney, cut long story short. I was told the usb was version 5 and my CD was version 6, therefore it wouldn't key in and they'd send the correct USB. Package all sealed, how could this be done. As have very old Computer and now wish to do everything on a laptop, that's why I purchased the Family Historian with USB. I presumed the usb could just be keyed in and away I go. Managed to get program on old PC, course sent back usb and awaiting the correct one. Very disappointed and can't se to make a copy of program to use on a laptop. So my any exchanged emails to Support, . It seems so difficult to just make a copy of all my family tree, that took hours to put into program, that I can transfer to a usb to use on my laptop. Hope one can understand.
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: USB didn't match

Post by Jane »

Family Historian is not normally available on a USB from Calico Pie, where did you get your USB from? Who are you calling?

If you needed a copy for a device without a CD drive why did you not simply purchase a download licence for V6.

If you want to copy your Data to a new computer which you have installed Family Historian on already, the simplest way if you do not have a lot of customisations on your old copy is to copy the whole "Family Historian Projects" folder from your old computer to your new one, which is normally stored in your "Documents" folder.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
robynspad@gmail.com

I brought family historian 6 from My History Ltd in Doncaster. UK. I seen when I looked at it, USBC8 Memory stick. , ticked the box USB on the order form, paid by credit card. Stupid me, thought I would get the program on a USB. It's not very clear. Package all sealed. Been communicating with Tony from your support endlessly. He said I wasn't putting in the registration key correct. I then took step by step pics of everything. Tony then told me after he'd seen the pics that the usb was version 5 and not compatible, hence the key no. Wouldn't go in. He said he'd send me correct one. In anger, I'd already posted the one that came in box back to UK. All I wanted is to use on my laptop and not the home computer. Tony sent me a Gedcom file and managed to put all from my Family Tree Maker onto the computer. But you guys can't seem to understand, I want it on my laptop. Have nothing on the laptop. I didn't know I could purchase a download. And my tree is quite big, well over 130 or so people. Family historian is up and done on the home PC, it's good, but I don't want it on that computer, it's old and that's why I want on laptop. The whole thing has been a drama and OK, maybe I was wrong thinking I'd get program on USB, but that's not at all clear when one looks at Family Historian. Had I not had the old computer, with CD drive, completely buggered. From Robyn
robynspad@gmail.com

P.S. The man is from Support at family historian that I've been in constant contact with, Tony
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Hello Robyn, sorry to hear you are having such problems but please understand that this FH User Group is just that, a User Group. We have no connection with either Calico Pie (the producers of Family Historian) or My History from whom you bought it.

It is not clear from what you have said, but I assume that you no longer have the original purchased CD and/or the licence key which came with it? If you have those, you can simply copy the contents of the CD onto a USB stick and use that to install on your laptop, using the original key. Otherwise, as Jane has said, you will need to purchase a licence as a download direct from Calico Pie. The details are here: https://store.family-historian.co.uk/

If you do purchase a download version, do be careful to keep a safe archive copy of both the installation file and new key which they send you, so that similar problems don't arise again in the future.
Lorna
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Just to clarify even more, My History are a reseller of Family Historian they are not the authors of the program or anything to do with the user group.

If you have your CD and licence sheet still if you contact Calico Pie support support@family-historian.co.uk including a photo or scan of your licence sheet they may be able to provide a download of the CD program for you to install from, which you can keep a copy of.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
robynspad@gmail.com

LornaCraig wrote: 01 Jul 2020 09:37 Hello Robyn, sorry to hear you are having such problems but please understand that this FH User Group is just that, a User Group. We have no connection with either Calico Pie (the producers of Family Historian) or My History from whom you bought it.

It is not clear from what you have said, but I assume that you no longer have the original purchased CD and/or the licence key which came with it? If you have those, you can simply copy the contents of the CD onto a USB stick and use that to install on your laptop, using the original key. Otherwise, as Jane has said, you will need to purchase a licence as a download direct from Calico Pie. The details are here: https://store.family-historian.co.uk/

If you do purchase a download version, do be careful to keep a safe archive copy of both the installation file and new key which they send you, so that similar problems don't arise again in the future.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

robynspad@gmail.com wrote: 01 Jul 2020 09:12 P.S. The man is from Support at family historian that I've been in constant contact with, Tony
Tony works for My History, he does not work for Calico Pie
Jane